Crackdown On Mafia Targeting Tourists: More Govt Bluster?

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Crackdown on mafia targeting tourists: more govt bluster?

The Nation June 24,

BANGKOK: -- Chalerm's arbitrary deadlines and lack of benchmarks continue a pattern

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung vowed on Friday to get rid of criminals targeting tourists. He promised to do it within three months. Promising to get tough on crime should be welcome from any political leaders. But the fact that such a vow has come from a man who is the personification of so many things that are wrong with Thai politics may make many people uncomfortable - and we are not just talking about the criminals.

No one seems to know why he gave himself three months time to do it and nobody seems to know why he waited until now to declare war on the mafia. Surely these shady crime syndicate guys have been with us for some time. So this begs the question of the timing of the announcement.

Furthermore, no one is sure what Chalerm's definition of "mafia" is. People in Thai society tend to use the word loosely. Just about anything associated with organised crime could fall into that category, in fact.

Crime, or perhaps organised crime, has been with us since the beginning of time. During the 1920s Prohibition era in the United States, the label "mafia" became synonymous with gangs formed by European immigrants. After the ban on alcohol was lifted, the American mafia moved into other illegal businesses, such as illegal gambling and narcotics, and eventually "legitimate" business.

No doubt, old habits die hard. Thus, one can safely assume that arm-twisting, as well as paying off the authorities, were employed to get things done. But such practices are commonplace in Thai business activities.

Nevertheless, these crime bosses fascinate the public and quite a few movies and television shows have been based on their activities and conduct.

Interestingly, Chalerm limited the target of the crackdown to tourism, raising questions as to why this industry was singled out. Perhaps he doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew, in which case, modesty is to be praised. But again, here is a man who is not known for modesty or humility.

The fact that tourism is one of the biggest industries in the country could be his motivation for singling it out. He did say the government wants to increase revenue from tourism to Bt2 trillion within five years.

Chalerm made known his determination right a meeting with tourist police, senior officials from the Tourism and Sports Ministry and governors of tourist-destination provinces at the Royal Thai Police headquarters. Attending the one-hour meeting were the governors of Phuket, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Sukhothai, Tak and Kanchanaburi.

Perhaps the announcement was just something to say to reporters. Perhaps he was sending a signal to crooked officials that they will no longer be permitted to take kickbacks from the so-called mafia? We can guess all day as to what the real motivation is.

Shall the country hold a countdown to day one and see how much things have improved? Or are we being too cynical? After all, shouldn't politicians be held accountable for what they say and promise, regardless of whether it is election time or not?

Like many sticky issues, today's headlines will likely disappear from the public's memory. Politicians have learned that they have been able to get away with so much in the face of a not-so-critical public. And the fact that we don't do enough to hold these policymakers to their word, as well as our tendency to support questionable tactics, says something about the strength of our society and community.

In early 2003, the then government of Thaksin Shinawatra launched a controversial 'War on Drugs' that ended in the deaths of about 2,500 suspects in the span of three months. Authorities said the killings - all except two - resulted from bad guys killing bad guys. Thaksin even declared victory in this notorious campaign, which many said was actually extrajudicial killings by police.

No one seems to know what benchmarks he was using, but a stage was set up, balloons were released and Thaksin rode on the back of Thai nationalism by declaring victory on a scorecard that was based on body counts. So, what can we expect this time around?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-24

• Like 1

Ok doubt about sincerity but at least he called the bosses of the various provinces in and told them to clean it up. It was a bit like you are all guilty and he spread the guilt around when it should have been focused on Phukett.

He can start with trying to keep his three sons from being mafia-wannabe punks.

Why three months? Why not 7 weeks, or one month? Reason: it's all hot air - expected from Mr. Hot Air himself.

If his plan is anything like his guru's 'war on drugs' , then don't be surprised if there are extra-judicial killings all over the place.

And how about your own 'War on Drugs', Mr. Chalerm? Are you doing anything to shut down the dealers and users of Thailand's #1 most harmful drug? If you did that, you would have to arrest yourself.

• Like 1

He can start with trying to keep his three sons from being mafia-wannabe punks.

Why three months? Why not 7 weeks, or one month? Reason: it's all hot air - expected from Mr. Hot Air himself.

If his plan is anything like his guru's 'war on drugs' , then don't be surprised if there are extra-judicial killings all over the place.

And how about your own 'War on Drugs', Mr. Chalerm? Are you doing anything to shut down the dealers and users of Thailand's #1 most harmful drug? If you did that, you would have to arrest yourself.

I think it is because 90 days is kind of special. 9 being a holy number. And the 90/90 AA thing. A lot of 90 day meaning.

I've seen better writing by high school journalism students. Jeezermm.gif

Yes and No. I personally find it refreshing to see Chalerm named and shamed in person - it's quite unusual.

You are kidding right? This is Thai Visa! There are 200 posts mocking him in another thread on the same subject. Have you not looked at the Thai news thread for your latest anti Red fix for the day?

Yes and No. I personally find it refreshing to see Chalerm named and shamed in person - it's quite unusual.

You are kidding right? This is Thai Visa! There are 200 posts mocking him in another thread on the same subject. Have you not looked at the Thai news thread for your latest anti Red fix for the day?

No, I'm quite serious. I mean openly in a Thai newspaper - not by crackpot Thai visa threads.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung vowed on Friday to get rid of criminals targeting tourists. He promised to do it within three months.

Over the years the stamping-out of poverty, drug use, certain criminal activity, etc., within three months seems to be a preferred and reoccurring chest-beating noise made by some Thai politicians. But it's just a lot of noise; nothing more.

No, I'm quite serious. I mean openly in a Thai newspaper - not by crackpot Thai visa threads.

Gee, now I feel cheap and a bit dirty even. I better go wash my keyboard. Back later......

Chalerm made known his determination right a meeting with tourist police, senior officials from the Tourism and Sports Ministry and governors of tourist-destination provinces at the Royal Thai Police headquarters. Attending the one-hour meeting were the governors of Phuket, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Sukhothai, Tak and Kanchanaburi.

it seems that Pattaya's/Chonburi's officials were not invited to join this meeting. I am just wondering!

Edited by oki

Ok doubt about sincerity but at least he called the bosses of the various provinces in and told them to clean it up. It was a bit like you are all guilty and he spread the guilt around when it should have been focused on Phukett.

Dead right Moe66.

As mentioned in the article a key question is why has he been willing to let the mafia carry on their activities damaging the Thai tourist industry unhindered for the past twelve months and only now threatened to take action?

"Like many sticky issues, today's headlines will likely disappear from the public's memory. Politicians have learned that they have been able to get away with so much in the face of a not-so-critical public. And the fact that we don't do enough to hold these policymakers to their word, as well as our tendency to support questionable tactics, says something about the strength of our society and community."

Thai politicians' reIationship with the Thai electorate, in a nutshell!

You are serious? Comparing Thai newspapers in a favourable light to crackpot TV threads. How do you define 'crackpot'?

Three months...starting when?

After Jupiter is in the right quadrant axis of Neptune and three grey monkey jump from left to right simultaniously while a single dolphin jump on the beach and sing 'Loving you so much, very much...' to tourists...

Then the 3 months of war on tourist mafia may start?

Only hot air as usual.

I'm waiting (not with bated breath) for the follow-up announcement by Mr. Bluster Chalerm -

"We've found the mafia bosses and they're good buddies of ours but I will only mention the first letters of their names. Because they themselves know they've been naughty, and the mere mention of the first letter of their names should shame them in to being good boys and girls."

(If the above statement sounds ridiculous, you may be surprised to know Chalerm has made public announcements like that in the past)

Give the man a round of applause, atleast he is trying to solve the problem NOW. Why are so many of US judgemental and spiteful of a new system of order to PROTECT all life?

Saying you will do something and actually doing it are two totally different things... otherwise Thailand's schools would be awash with Chineses computer tablets by now.

• Like 1

How can anyone tolerate what thugs in Pattaya and Phuket are doing to visitors from all over the world? There is zero law enforcement against Thai thugs while the BIB are out taking tea money from farang.

Bizzzzzzzarrrrro Thailand!

Sent from Mafia Removal 90 Day Countdown App. On Galaxy Note

Is Chonburi / Pattaya some sort of exclusion zone ??? When it comes to mafia and tourist scams I would think it would be at the top of the list. Instead..........it wasn't on the list........which is fascinating.

Edited by EyesWideOpen