Inheritance/Last Will - Norway/Thailand

RR3636

I'm a norwegian and will soon marry a thai girl. We're planning to settle down here in Thailand, but will maybe in the future live in Norway for some time. We have no children, and our plan is to have no children in the future also. We have looked up about inheritance laws in Norway and Thailand - and they are very different. In Thailand it seems that unless you make a "Will" the spouce will inherit nothing since parents, brothers, sisters, etc.. gets first (i.e. the part that is inheritable; 50%; spouce of course keeps it's own 50%). Link I found about this: http://www.samuifors...s-thailand.html

In Norway it seems the spouce inherit everything if no children is involved (atleast what we have found out so far). Anyway, we want the spouce to inherit everything in both countries. i.e. if I die, she will inherit everything I own in Norway and Thailand, and if she dies I will inherit everything she owns in both countries (she has no lands now, but I know about the rules for foreigners owning, and sell within 1 year if inherit something that can't be owned by foreigner).

So bottom line, it seems we need to setup a WILL.

Questions:

a] Can we make a WILL here in Thailand?

b] Can we get the will in "a)" legalized in norway too, or do we need to make one pr country?

c] what are the procedures pr country?

d] suggestion for lawyer to use?

e] should we do the WILL when we marry, or wait until after marriage is valid in both thailand and norway?

Edited by RR3636

Best is to make a will regarding property in thailand in thailand and a seperate one in Norway.

The best and only time to make a will is while living, after the marriage. Once you get married, the mariage is valid in both countries. The only thing that must happen, is to proof in the other country that you are married. Without you notifying them, the other country will simply not know of the marriage and will require some proof in certain circumstances, like when you want to file for tax benefits.

But a marriage in thailand is valid in Norway from the date you marry, and visa versa.