AirAsia Will Move To Don Mueang On Oct 1

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rather amusing to read the complaints about the "inconvienence" of moving Air Asia operations from swampy to Don Mueang....simply because I can remember the very same complaints....not about Air Asia but rather other 'domestic" airline flights maybe....at the time domestic flights were changed from DM to swampy after it was built.

The roads to DM are ofend congested now, compared to the available toll-roads to Swampy. Of course, if you are on the North side of BKK then DM will be OK, but if you are in BKK and or Pattaya area, DM is now a nightmare compared to Swampy. That is my opinion, to me, I think that Swampy is justifiable to about 2000b of convince over pissing around with DM.

The Nation News.

Suvarnabhumi Airport's eastern runway closed after two sinkholes were found on the west runway on Thursday night, causing delays.

Maybe its a good time for Air Asia to move Airports.

This could be the start of more sinkholes in the future.

The sooner they move, the better. I think the move is fantastic. They have definitely gained at least 1 customer by leaving that abomination in the swamp. I would much rather fly AA to Singapore and leave from there than having to brave the nonfunctional radar and the sinking, cracking runways of Cobra Swamp.

With international commuter flights heading back to the much closer and more convenient Don Muang, perhaps people will finally realize that SIN is just a substantially better hub and bypass swampy altogether.

What a bad mistake on Air Asia's part. That's finished Air Asia for me and I was a regular user, 2,3,4 times each year. No way I am going Don Muang. Its just not convenient.

Who was the the guy said DM was more convenient? Where on earth does he live ? Rangsid Rangsit ?

Anyone knows whether there be schedules/timings changes for AA flights....i have many many many flights booked from Nov to next years...most are connecting flights...thanks..sad.png

Was on an AA flight this week and crew confirmed no changes to schedules.

I often connect to domestic flights, so the chance I will stick with (expensive) Thai Airways is high, by by AA, NOK and friends whistling.gif

In Kuala Lumpur they have there own Airport to use so no difference In Bangkok.

In KUL AA have their own terminal (LCCT) at the SAME airport. Only a short bus ride round the strip to the full service carriers. Major difference.

Moruya, The proposed shuttle-cock up. When does anything get planned properly ??

The Swampy airport was a cock-up, I said for years, throw out the airforce and you have all the room in the world at D.M. but of course it's too late. OR IS IT. if the runways are deteriorating to the extent that they are---a suggestion is to give the airforce Swampy, or move them to U-tapou, Leaving the airport runways to be thouroughly inspected--UNDER surface--and top. Only on completion and quality work done should they consider re open. This is LOW season GET MOVING STOP THE BODGE UPS.

Moruya, The proposed shuttle-cock up. When does anything get planned properly ??

The Swampy airport was a cock-up, I said for years, throw out the airforce and you have all the room in the world at D.M. but of course it's too late. OR IS IT. if the runways are deteriorating to the extent that they are---a suggestion is to give the airforce Swampy, or move them to U-tapou, Leaving the airport runways to be thouroughly inspected--UNDER surface--and top. Only on completion and quality work done should they consider re open. This is LOW season GET MOVING STOP THE BODGE UPS.

1. No, there will not be enough room at DM whatever you move out, and there's no room for expansion. It's located in the middle of a city and the number of passengers and airplane movements have increased vastly the last 10 years.

2. The runways at DM are located too close together to be used in parallel.

3. DM is located in the middle of a traffic jam that is much worse now than when traffic was moved to Swampy

4. DM was completely flooded less than a year ago. Unless you believe the sweet talk of the girlie at the top, there's no reason to believe that it won't happen again.

5. Airports don't have low seasons. The number of arrivals and departures are rather stable all year around. The number of passengers per plane vary with the seasons though. Slightly.

Edited by zakk9
  • Like 1

Zakk9, Why did you not mention the airforce and the area it occupies ??? Something WILL have to be done SOON, Swampy is on top of water, DM, WAS under water. The airport at DM was o.k. for golf to be played between runways. What about the airforce again.-any answers?? why they shouldn't be moved from CITY, out to Sattahip-UBON, are they there to protct BKK from missile attack ???.

Last but not least it is easier to stop the water from getting into D.M. than take the water out from underneath Swampy.

If the main purpose of the air force base at DM was to protect Thailand and/or Bangkok, moving it would be an obvious thing. However, the generals of Thailand are involved in much more than protecting the nation, which makes a central location very convenient.

Zakk9, Agree with you -re power to Generals.. BUT using the air force area, It is possible to use D.M. for most of flights--there is room. My post really was a warning, that at some stage it will have to be used as Swampy cannot always be bodged. D.M. has transport problems, congestion-etc. I would suggest Low cost/budget-at the airforce base with fast rail connections to International.

Main problem being if and when a incident does occur at Swampy, Then and only then will Thai think what to do. Don't they mostly do things on a whim ?? government and people.

I don't get why AA want to move to DMK they have a majority of the domestic market and they would continue to have that if they stayed at BKK but now they are losing the a lot of the people connecting through BKK. AA is not that much cheaper than Thai and if you add in the hassle of going cross town and the risk of losing a flight they are not worth it I would rather spend 2 hours extra waiting at BKK than risk missing my flight. For me I am going from 100% AA domestic flights to 100% Thai flights with this change.

If DMK gets flooded this year all the savings AA got will be wiped out for years to come, I think its a bad business decision.

Perhaps the ongoing runway problems at Swampy are more serious than people are letting on and flights are going to be switched back to DM, you would need to be a cynic or in possession of privileged information to make such a calculation though. wink.png

The Nation News.

Suvarnabhumi Airport's eastern runway closed after two sinkholes were found on the west runway on Thursday night, causing delays.

Maybe its a good time for Air Asia to move Airports.

This could be the start of more sinkholes in the future.

seems common occurence, amazing Thailand or is it miracle Thailand,

Bangkok Airport general manager Somchai Sawasdeepon said the sinkholes on the west runway were caused by water leaks.

"The west runway was closed for repairs 209 times last year, and has been closed 55 times since the beginning of 2012. The east runway has been closed 66 times. Every shutdown is for a different length of time. Mostly, repairs were needed to existing cracks," Somchai said.

1. No, there will not be enough room at DM whatever you move out, and there's no room for expansion. It's located in the middle of a city and the number of passengers and airplane movements have increased vastly the last 10 years.

2. The runways at DM are located too close together to be used in parallel.

3. DM is located in the middle of a traffic jam that is much worse now than when traffic was moved to Swampy

4. DM was completely flooded less than a year ago. Unless you believe the sweet talk of the girlie at the top, there's no reason to believe that it won't happen again.

5. Airports don't have low seasons. The number of arrivals and departures are rather stable all year around. The number of passengers per plane vary with the seasons though. Slightly.

It's also wet season for a few more months, and no-one credible has confidently predicted dm will remain flood-free this year. In addition, i imagine repairing Swampy would be a headache in the rain.

Not very happy about this but will adapt my travel plans accordingly, Next trip I'll just do a quick stopover in BKK and then head to DM the next day

I'm not a fan of Bangers so usually in the past it was a always a case of land, go through immigration and then straight to the AA check-in desk upstairs, onwards to Chiang Mai, Phuket or Udon Thani.

I've booked my flights for December and it was still cheaper to go AA then to go with Nok to Udon or Phuket.

would be great if air asia allowed baggage transfers at don muang on its flights from places like singapore to upcountry destinations like chiangmai. it's always been a drawback when connecting with air asia that you have to clear customs and immigration in bangkok just to check in again for an onward domestic flight.

Imagine the costs involved if customs allowed baggage transfers from Don Mueang's international flights to upcountry destinations. New customs facilities would have to be built and staffed at all of those locations.

Have one in khon kaen international airport, but no international flights and no customs.