Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Using Gi Bill At A Thai University

Whether it's in Thailand vs other foriegn countries should matter little.

You should have little difficulty getting your GI Bill benefits when studying overseas. ... If you are using the Montgomery GI Bill, you just have to make sure that the VA has your correct mailing address to send you your checks and information. If you are using the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, then the money goes directly to the school, and you have to worry about mailing issues less often. For the new GI Bill, remember that if you are taking only online classes, you are not eligible for the housing stipend, so your location matters less.

If you decide to attend an overseas university, then there is a little more complication. In that case, you should consult the VA to make sure that your specific educational program is covered by the GI Bill. If you are taking traditional classroom courses in an overseas location, then you may be eligible for a housing stipend. In that case, instead of using your ZIP code to determine your housing rate, it defaults to a flat amount, which was $1,333.00 in the year 2009.

http://www.gibill.co...l-overseas.html

http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/factsheets/post_911_study_abroad_fact_sheet.pdf

• 1 year later...

actually, there is a recent amendment where you get 1/2 the housing allowance rate if you are taking less than 1/2 time courses or online courses. This makes choosing a school much easier.

Make sure the Thai school is listed with VA. You can search by country. If the university or school is not listed, there is a process to get the school VA approved, but it would take a while to get approved; better

It might be better to take an american university that is 100% online (or the portion you want to begin with is 100% online) and just stay in Thailand. You may have to pay for the books to be shipped....but that's about it.

But if you take in-campus courses in thailand full-time, the housing allowance is at the full overseas rate which is appx $1400/mo which is pretty nice imo.

If you take a US online class you only get half the national average for BAH, which is about $676 a month. I take classes through the University of Maryland University college and have my books sent to the JUSTMAGTHAI facility which is a joint US-Thai military base in Sathorn that hosts a UMUC center, but they don't offer classes, just support.

If you go to a Thai University you should be able to receive roughly $1400 a month as 4evermatt stated.

You may also want to consider Webster University from the state which has two campuses, one in Bangkok and another in Hua Hin. Also Buffalo State offers a Master degree in Education at their campus in Bangkok.

Hope that helps.

I used GI Bill in Thailand at Mahidol University, so can confirm they are on the list

Although you also need to check the major as well to see if it is approved. If interested in International Business degree than can confirm this is approved, as this was my major.

Although if interested in a different major it is not a big deal. As I had to submit papers to VA to add IB major.

Actually just needed to put school admin in touch with VA and The VA told the school what docs were needed and all was taken care of and approved before the terms started.

I forgot to mention. Not sure how backed up the VA is (it used to be 2-3 month processing time), but file your 'claim' as early as possible. They do it in the order in which the claim is received. You do get backpay, but why not stay ahead of the game?

You can always change your major or course later and keep your position in the queue. So don't sit on the sidelines.

edit: is it chapter 30 or chapter 33 (post 9/11)? some of the older veterans may even have a different chapter entitlement. But those two chapters are the latest types of GI Bill.

IMO, they did make some slight improvements to ch 33, and you can still get book and housing allowance (even if it is only 1/2 rate). Pretty good actually. No out of pocket costs required. There may be an opportunity for you to take out a student loan if the school is an int'l school approved by US Dept of Education. I forget what Title that is, but student loan money is the cheapest, most flexible debt you can ever get your hands on.

Ch 30 you pocketed all of the funds directly, but you were responsible for paying for tuition if it was not covered some way before.

Just decide what you want to study and research the VA approval of the various international programs for your major in Thailand (there are many.) Once you find candidate schools, email them for detailed information. Universities with international program will have an International Students Office that can help you. International programs are quit competitive and most offer international students a lot of support.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you looked at Webster University. It is an American University with campus here in Thailand. They have both undergraduate and Graduate campuses. When you receive the degree, it will show that it was issued in the state. Because the cirriculum s the same as US. Good luck on your studies.

Have you looked at Webster University. It is an American University with campus here in Thailand. They have both undergraduate and Graduate campuses. When you receive the degree, it will show that it was issued in the state. Because the cirriculum s the same as US. Good luck on your studies.

Also, for American's FASFA is available at Webster.

• 1 year later...

I used mine here and got an extra year when I requested an extension. The money goes a lot farther here than it does in the US. The graduation ceremony was last night in Chiang Mai.

attachicon.gifMark Graduates.jpg

What did you study?

International Business Management for a B.B.A.

Richard,

I want to get the same BBA degree at Mahidol University in Bangkok using the GI Bill. What is your opinion on that degree since you received it? Was it worth it and helpful? Job opportunities? Any advice you would give me could be greatly appreciated!

I used GI Bill in Thailand at Mahidol University, so can confirm they are on the list

Although you also need to check the major as well to see if it is approved. If interested in International Business degree than can confirm this is approved, as this was my major.

Although if interested in a different major it is not a big deal. As I had to submit papers to VA to add IB major.

Actually just needed to put school admin in touch with VA and The VA told the school what docs were needed and all was taken care of and approved before the terms started.

CWMcMurray,

I am happy to hear you went to Mahidol as I will be going there for the exact same degree. What did you think of the international schooling? What is your opinion on that degree since you received it? Was it worth it and helpful? Job opportunities? Are you still in the area? What are your thoughts on getting a masters degree either back in the states after graduation or in Thailand? Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I used mine here and got an extra year when I requested an extension. The money goes a lot farther here than it does in the US. The graduation ceremony was last night in Chiang Mai.

attachicon.gifMark Graduates.jpg

What did you study?

International Business Management for a B.B.A.

Richard,

I want to get the same BBA degree at Mahidol University in Bangkok using the GI Bill. What is your opinion on that degree since you received it? Was it worth it and helpful? Job opportunities? Any advice you would give me could be greatly appreciated!

Mahidol has an excellent reputation and from what I've heard they have an excellent international college. If I could do it all over again, I would go there.

After I completed my B.B.A., most of my friends I studied with were hired and are either working in Thailand or abroad. However, if you're not from Thailand it's still difficult to find someone to hire you and pay foreigners wages.

Opening your own business might get you around that. Since you're an American, you qualify to start a business and own it 100% under the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation between Thailand and the United States. That might help if you have enough money to start the business.

I started on an MBA as soon as I completed my B.B.A. because I had some money left from the GI Bill. I figured studying may be beneficial down the road. I did have a part time job but felt it interfered with my studies so I quit.

Now a days, if you're not from ASEAN then it may be even harder to get hired. ASEAN integration takes Thailand's labor market of almost 40 million and ups it to 315 million people with the inclusion of the other ASEAN countries labor forces. It's hard to say what the large ASEAN labor force will do to competition and wages. Some countries may see increases in wages while other countries may see declines. First world countries say the labor increases will not have much impact on wages but studies show its a different story in developing countries such as Thailand.

Already in Bangkok many western English teachers are being replaced by Philippino English teachers because they are cheaper to hire and speak English well enough to teach in the Bangkok schools. I expect this trend to continue with foreign wages ultimately being impacted.

Increases in the importance of globalization will make an international education more important throughout the world. However, in some ASEAN countries, xenophobia may make it more difficult to hire foreigners. Non-tariff barriers seem to be increasing the closer we get to the December 31st, 2015 AEC deadline.

The MBA does seem to be getting me teaching offers because my ASEAN thesis topic is quite popular. I've also spoken on my topic 4 or 5 times at my university as well as other places in Chiang Mai as well. I'm hoping there is enough interest in Chiang Mai for me to find a good job but you never know.

Good luck to you and your studies.

Mahidol has an excellent reputation and from what I've heard they have an excellent international college. If I could do it all over again, I would go there.

After I completed my B.B.A., most of my friends I studied with were hired and are either working in Thailand or abroad. However, if you're not from Thailand it's still difficult to find someone to hire you and pay foreigners wages.

Opening your own business might get you around that. Since you're an American, you qualify to start a business and own it 100% under the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation between Thailand and the United States. That might help if you have enough money to start the business.

I started on an MBA as soon as I completed my B.B.A. because I had some money left from the GI Bill. I figured studying may be beneficial down the road. I did have a part time job but felt it interfered with my studies so I quit.

Now a days, if you're not from ASEAN then it may be even harder to get hired. ASEAN integration takes Thailand's labor market of almost 40 million and ups it to 315 million people with the inclusion of the other ASEAN countries labor forces. It's hard to say what the large ASEAN labor force will do to competition and wages. Some countries may see increases in wages while other countries may see declines. First world countries say the labor increases will not have much impact on wages but studies show its a different story in developing countries such as Thailand.

Already in Bangkok many western English teachers are being replaced by Philippino English teachers because they are cheaper to hire and speak English well enough to teach in the Bangkok schools. I expect this trend to continue with foreign wages ultimately being impacted.

Increases in the importance of globalization will make an international education more important throughout the world. However, in some ASEAN countries, xenophobia may make it more difficult to hire foreigners. Non-tariff barriers seem to be increasing the closer we get to the December 31st, 2015 AEC deadline.

The MBA does seem to be getting me teaching offers because my ASEAN thesis topic is quite popular. I've also spoken on my topic 4 or 5 times at my university as well as other places in Chiang Mai as well. I'm hoping there is enough interest in Chiang Mai for me to find a good job but you never know.

Good luck to you and your studies.

Richard,

Excellent reply. Very informative. I appreciate your opinion on the developing ASEAN integration as this will most definitely impact my future. I will most most assuredly be pursuing my MBA considering nowadays a BA is a dime a dozen. Im hoping to put myself through the first year of college so I can save a year of the GI bill for the more expensive MBA.

I was hoping to get your opinion on what you think the difference would be in getting my MBA back in the states or in Thailand? My thoughts were, BA in Thailand for global experiance, then MBA in the states to round it off and increase my network of connections and credibility. I'm not sure if I will go back to the states for the MBA or stay in Thailand... Also, I have considered starting a business in Thailand but I will have a while until I have to make a decision on that.

My ex-girlfriend just moved to thailand to teach english and from what I understand, their are quite a bit of ESOL jobs available but the higher pay is dwindling and only available at the international colleges. I have no idea where the job market will be 4-6 years from now... I hope we are all still alive pending an alien invasion! Your thesis topic also sounds interesting. You said you are getting teaching offers? For english or teaching at a International College? Your direction and accomplishments thus far, fuel me in that I can better envision where I should be going. Thanks again for all the info!

Chris

• 9 months later...

WUT is fine, and your diploma is issued from the main St. Louis campus. Most of the profs here are decent and cool... and the classes are annoyingly challenging, meaning just enough to keep my interest. Many of the Paki, Indian and Burmese students are clueless and don't carry their workload in team projects though.

• 1 year later...

Archived