Sausage & Peppers Sandwich At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

sausage-and-peppers-sandwich-sausages-cut-med.jpg

Butter is Better is now making Italian Sausages according to traditional recipes.

We have 2 varieties:

• Sweet (not spicy)
  • Mildly Spicy

Our sweet Siciilian sausage is made with Pork Shoulder, Genuine Italian Peccorino Cheese, Red Wine, Fennel Seed

Our Spicy Sausage is made with Pork Shoulder, Genuine Italian Peccorino Cheese, Red Wine, Crushed Mildly Spicy Chili Peppers.

The sandwich comes on our home baked italian bread and is served with fried red and green bell peppers and fried onions.

Half a sandwich costs 75 baht. A whole sandwich goes for 150 baht.

Didn't I suggest this to you guys ages ago ? Looks pretty good, though I'd have to say I prefer my peppers a little sloppier. I was lucky to have worked with a guy from Philly who would sautee his peppers n onions up on the center of the flat-top for awhile, then push the big pile of them off to the cooler side - grabbing them as needed as orders came in. Throughout the course of a few hours the peppers n onions would caramelize and mix with other meat juices off the grill. In the end they'd be really tasty all by themselves. It's pretty standard for good greasy spoons.

I'll come by this week to pester about how I'd do it -and in a more sanitary cost-effective way - at your location.

You putting those sausages in your spaghetti sauce too now, by the way ?

Didn't I suggest this to you guys ages ago ? Looks pretty good, though I'd have to say I prefer my peppers a little sloppier. I was lucky to have worked with a guy from Philly who would sautee his peppers n onions up on the center of the flat-top for awhile, then push the big pile of them off to the cooler side - grabbing them as needed as orders came in. Throughout the course of a few hours the peppers n onions would caramelize and mix with other meat juices off the grill. In the end they'd be really tasty all by themselves. It's pretty standard for good greasy spoons.

I'll come by this week to pester about how I'd do it -and in a more sanitary cost-effective way - at your location.

You putting those sausages in your spaghetti sauce too now, by the way ?

I grew up in a town in Northern New Jersey adjacent to the town Tony Soprano was supposed to live in. Population was about 50% eastern European Jewish, 50% southern Italian. There were rumors of some exotic class of hominid known as “white people” but we considered their existence to be about as likely as Bigfoot’s.

All of the local Italian joints prepared sausage and peppers the way you like it. On the other hand, Mrs. Cioffi,(pronounced show-fee) mother of my best friend, Ronnie, scorned that method as fit only for motherless goombas. (My great grandmother felt the same way about grivenes) Mrs. Cioffi insisted that the peppers and onions be lightly sautéed with only the minimum of grease necessary to get the job done. Which I guess makes you and me goombas, because I like the peppers and onion overcooked, aged, and greasy, too.

That said, there are the respectable readers of thaivisa.com to consider. Both of them. I didn't want to scar their psyches with photos of low down Sicilian soul food.

Also, there are public health issues. As much as I personally enjoy exposing myself to the risk of food poisoning, I'm not at all confident that this is the best way to operate a restaurant. In addition, we have to respect the people out there who consider their body a temple. Both of them. (Did I make that joke already?) Or maybe the world is ready for Sicilian/Napolidan soul food? Braised pig skin, anyone?

Still, if we can confound the laws of nature and come up with a way to make this stuff safe, I'd consider putting it on offer as an option. Even if that means getting an angry earful from Mrs. Cioffi at the next séance.

I should probably also make a tomato sauce (or "gravy" as Mrs. C. called it) for people who like their sausages that way. Maybe also serve sausage and peppers and onions and sautéed potatoes as a main course.

As for making a sausage based tomato sauce, when I made the sausage meat, that's what I had originally planned for it. But I had all this sausage making equipment lying around unused, including an absurdly large sausage stuffer that can hold enough forcemeat to satiate a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a meat grinder powerful enough to propel a small yacht. Anyway, a sausage based sauce should be easy enough to do. Which begs the question: is there such a thing as sausage overload? I know, I know, that’s blasphemy. On that point, at least, you and I and Mrs. Cioffi can agree.

I bet Butter is Better can't wait!

I can see where you might draw some negative inference about realthaideal but the truth is that he is a sad and twisted individual who obsesses about food virtually all of his waking hours and some of the rest. He is also a terrific cook. Some of dishes he has created are so delicious that they ought to be exorcised. In fact, he came in 2nd place in the World Mr. Evil contest. And the only reason he lost is that the vote was fixed. Which is as it should be for a contest of that kind.

Anyway, I welcome his interference.

Edited by butterisbetter
  • Like 1

Can't wait to come in for a try! I'm use to the the greasy onion and pepper mix as we had back home in the Italian section of Boston called The North End (ok I drove in from suburbs), but looking forward to trying your New Jersey style (something good had to come from NJ right?). Not sure if you guys talking about putting them in sauce over pasta or in a sub roll (don't call in a grinder, sandwich, etc. pls. because, as we know back in Boston, they are correctly called subs) but in my book meatballs in sauce are for subs or pasta and sausage for pasta only. The other day I made sauteed onions and peppers with chicken for fajitas on the korean bbq and left some room on the edge to warm the tortillas, was fun and a great way to serve while adapting local equipment and at the same time staying far far way from fusion cuisine!

Oh and I'm not going to take any credit as did some of the other posters (at least this time!).

p.s. sorry I couldn't get you any sage but happy to be one for you

Edited by junglechef

Dao, it looks fantastic! We'll try to get in to try both over the next few days!

Do you like your sausage sandwich greasy or lean? I'm in furious consultation with realthaideal to figure out how to up the grease content for those who like that sort of thing.

Dao, it looks fantastic! We'll try to get in to try both over the next few days!

Do you like your sausage sandwich greasy or lean? I'm in furious consultation with realthaideal to figure out how to up the grease content for those who like that sort of thing.

Something like that:

post-25601-0-34294700-1340889772_thumb.j

Though I used the term 'greasy spoon' I'd actually like to redirect the focus to peppers that are cooked down to where they're gonna melt in your mouth. And beyond that, either cooked super high heat and left to sit in a pile (in a bowl, lexan, etc., no flat top req'd) with some charring and then carry-over cooking getting them to where I'm talking about, or maybe slow cooking them stove top or even in the oven, creating a nice soft gooey pepper with ample caramelization. That's more the flavor and texture profile I'm getting at, and there are quite a few roads that lead to Rome.

Jungle Chef's on the money too, and his way adds in the alchemy I previously described where several flavors meld together thru the process of several things being cooked in the same place. Yum !

Grease is not the key, though a small, resonable amount of the mixed sausage n pepper (and any other sautee oil or BUTTER) drippings will definitely add to the mouth and flavor experience for sure.

Though I used the term 'greasy spoon' I'd actually like to redirect the focus to peppers that are cooked down to where they're gonna melt in your mouth. And beyond that, either cooked super high heat and left to sit in a pile (in a bowl, lexan, etc., no flat top req'd) with some charring and then carry-over cooking getting them to where I'm talking about, or maybe slow cooking them stove top or even in the oven, creating a nice soft gooey pepper with ample caramelization. That's more the flavor and texture profile I'm getting at, and there are quite a few roads that lead to Rome.

Jungle Chef's on the money too, and his way adds in the alchemy I previously described where several flavors meld together thru the process of several things being cooked in the same place. Yum !

Grease is not the key, though a small, resonable amount of the mixed sausage n pepper (and any other sautee oil or BUTTER) drippings will definitely add to the mouth and flavor experience for sure.

Amazing Thailand.

Here we have three East coast Americans discussing the best way to cook onions and peppers to go on a Italian Sausage.

• Like 1

The Italian sausage sandwich originated in North America and Europe as the "Italian Sandwich" (cold cuts, cheeses, veg and dressing) did in several different Italian American communities in the Northeastern United States from the late 19th to mid 20th centuries. Portland, Maine claims to be the birthplace of the "Italian sandwich" and it is considered Maine's signature sandwich. The popularity of this Italian-American cuisine has grown from its origins in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts to most parts of the United States. Now if you want to talk about the Italian roots of the three aforementioned discussers you may have a point.

The Italian sausage sandwich originated in North America and Europe as the "Italian Sandwich" (cold cuts, cheeses, veg and dressing) did in several different Italian American communities in the Northeastern United States from the late 19th to mid 20th centuries. Portland, Maine claims to be the birthplace of the "Italian sandwich" and it is considered Maine's signature sandwich. The popularity of this Italian-American cuisine has grown from its origins in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts to most parts of the United States. Now if you want to talk about the Italian roots of the three aforementioned discussers you may have a point.

There is also the greatest sandwich of all ever made since time began, the muffuletta, which was created in New Orleans by some Sicilian immigrants.

Love those!! Where do you think I can get one in Chiang Mai???

The OP is selling them smile.png

http://www.butterisb...s-better-bakery

He did not say he was selling them.

What is a muffuletta

I was being coy and cunning. As for what is a muffuletta sandwich? The heart of the sandwich, what makes it special, is a salad with chopped green and black olives as its base. Other ingredients include our own homemade giardiniera (various pickled vegetables including cauliflower, celery, and bell peppers), roasted red peppers, olive oil, scallions, red wine vinegar, capers, garlic, and some other stuff I can't recall. Everything is chopped and left to sit in the fridge for at least a week to allow the flavors to blend properly.

The sandwich gets its name from muffuletta, a round Sicilian bread on which it is served in New Orleans. We use Italian.

We had a regular customer from New Orleans whose mother was a locally famous cook there. He said we had nailed the sandwich perfectly.

In New Orleans people typically pile all kinds of cold cuts on the sandwich and put the olive salad on top. Here we offer the sandwich with just the olive salad and the option to put ham and or swiss cheese on top.

looks Delicious, but I would put a little fresh tomato sauce on top. Is that an option for customers?

I'll try to come up with a fresh tomato sauce (I'm guessing you're Australian and what Australians call tomato sauce we Americans call ketchup or catsup) today.

looks Delicious, but I would put a little fresh tomato sauce on top. Is that an option for customers?

I'll try to come up with a fresh tomato sauce (I'm guessing you're Australian and what Australians call tomato sauce we Americans call ketchup or catsup) today.

American and grew up on Italian American food. No Ketchup please!!! I thought you already had been making a sauce for your pasta dishes. I'm suggesting you put a little sauce on top of the sausages.
  • Like 1

American and grew up on Italian American food. No Ketchup please!!! I thought you already had been making a sauce for your pasta dishes. I'm suggesting you put a little sauce on top of the sausages.

That's a meat sauce. Don't think it would be right for sausages. I'm about to make a simple tomato sauce that I think will contrast will with the sausages.

That's a meat sauce. Don't think it would be right for sausages. I'm about to make a simple tomato sauce that I think will contrast will with the sausages.

I just baptized a sausage in the new tomato sauce. So it's now available to whoever is brave enough to defy the rules that have apparently agglomerated around this peasant food. Anyway, I liked it. A lot.