Pollution Control Department Denies It Is To Blame For Klity Creek: Kanchanaburi

webfact

ENVIRONMENT

PCD denies it is to blame for Klity creek

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30185064-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Pollution Control Department (PCD) insisted yesterday that it was not responsible for the lead contamination in Kanchanaburi province's Lower Klity village, which has affected residents for 14 years.

"At that time, PCD did not have the authority to grant permission to Lead Concentrate, which owned the mine and hence contaminated the Klity creek. We are not behind the problem, we just fixed it," PCD's director-general Wichien Jungrungruang said.

He was speaking at a press conference held at the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry to explain PCD job of rehabilitating Klity creek.

His announcement followed Judge Commissioner of Justice Panuphan Chairat's statement on Tuesday before the Administrative Court's panel of judges hearing the case issued a final verdict.

Panuphan recommended that the judges have PCD pay Bt3,872,000 or Bt176,000 to each of the 22 victims, because he believes that PCD had neglected its responsibility in controlling contamination of Klity creek or cleaning it up.

Wichien said PCD has tried continually on clean the creek over the past 14 years and has used natural recovery methods to rehabilitate the waterway as recommended by the National Environmental Board.

"We visited the Klity creek four times a year to collect samples to study the contamination," he said.

Moreover, PCD will install a groyne to gather the sediment in the creek. Previously, PCD had removed 3,000 tonnes of sediment and buried it outside the village. It is awaiting laboratory tests to study the composition to see whether or not it is lead contaminated. The testing will provide key data on finding correct methods to recover the sediment and PCD expects the measure to put in place within two months.

"We hope the court will have some sympathy for us," he said, adding that PCD would obey the court's final verdict regardless.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-28

What a load of tosh. I know for a fact that there is still lead in the creek and in the soil. One of my friends works for the department in kanchanaburi that checks. She was just there last month.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

This news would be more welcome if it weren't for the fact that they are burning trash in the area across the road from my home and the smoke is choking all my neighbors and me. Somehow, I think they just don't get it when it comes to environmental pollution and the effects it has on the health of the population.Everyone seems to deny any responsibility yet the illnesses caused by their actions and inaction continue to mount..

Edited by jaltsc

Jeez... heard it all now.

I've heard of shit-creek (The River Mersey, Liverpool.), and a part of the anatomy... giggle.gif ....b bu but....."Klity creek"? That brings a whole new meaning :o

-mel.