Susie Cucina - A Taste Of The Riviera

junglechef

Seen a few ads for this place recently and happened to drive by so stopped in for a quick lunch. They say it's food of the riviera and upon asking was told French and Italian (and their Facebook page says along with some Morrocaan, Spanish and Northern African). Had two pasta dishes, both excellent served with lovely warm bread they bake themselves and finished with the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Lava with Vanilla Ice cream and a cup of excellent peaberry coffee. Good and informed service, nice room and was a pleasure to show my GF what the little things (and big which we take for granted back home like getting a dish as it's suppose to be) that make a Western dining experience. With water and tip it cost close to 800 bht. and well worth it, can't wait to try some of the the other menu offerings when I have more time to relax and dine. Their Facebook has some nice pics and map link (it's near Wat Chedi Luang and Three Kings Monument) but also a post from the owner saying Susie, the Chef who worked in France and Italy, walked out and it's for sale. The sous chef cooked lunch for us and did a good job but it was a bit funny for the owners, who are Thai as well as the staff incl. the Chefs, to air their dirty laundry publicly and make potential customers wonder if all is running correctly. But it was yesterday and hope all is well in the that little bit of paradise in our bigger bit, which we call home, Chiang Mai.

The sale of this place isnt a secret if you peruse the TV classified, its been for sale at least a month already.

I was surprised also, as it seems only very recently to have opened- on sunday walking street right?

The sale of this place isnt a secret if you peruse the TV classified, its been for sale at least a month already.

I was surprised also, as it seems only very recently to have opened- on sunday walking street right?

They told me they have been open for 7 months and it not on walking street it's here: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&where1=80%2F1+Ratchadamnoen+Rd.%2C+Chiang+ I didn't know anything of the place except the ad I saw for the first time a week ago but I was more commenting on if they say such things on a promotional page diners might tend to shy away not knowing who is cooking etc. and then a potential buyer would find few patrons and make it look less desireable to purchase for example.

They told me they have been open for 7 months and it not on walking street it's here: http://www.bing.com/...en Rd., Chiang I didn't know anything of the place except the ad I saw for the first time a week ago but I was more commenting on if they say such things on a promotional page diners might tend to shy away not knowing who is cooking etc. and then a potential buyer would find few patrons and make it look less desireable to purchase for example.

Something went wrong with the link that you posted. It points to a map of a small town in Pennsylvania.

Well at least we agree it's not in Pennsylvania, I stand corrected if it is on the walking street, the GF said it wasn't (but I'll take the blame as usual - 555) I don't know inside the moat well (or seem to be able to put up a link - but it's attached to the restaurant's Facebook page with the correct map) but it makes sense a postman would know where things are located.

They told me they have been open for 7 months and it not on walking street it's here: http://www.bing.com/...en Rd., Chiang I didn't know anything of the place except the ad I saw for the first time a week ago but I was more commenting on if they say such things on a promotional page diners might tend to shy away not knowing who is cooking etc. and then a potential buyer would find few patrons and make it look less desireable to purchase for example.

Something went wrong with the link that you posted. It points to a map of a small town in Pennsylvania.

It looks like quite a nice little place too: home of the Clamtown tavern, which has Lobster Bisque available everyday by demand and on Mondays they have a Mexi-Night with Tacos at $1 and a bucket of Corona $10 for seven Pony bottles.(what's a pony bottle?) Clamtown is also on the Reading and northern railroad steam railway and is home to Boy Scouts of America troop number 755. No restaurant called Susie Cucina, but apart from that a very worthy little town!

It looks like quite a nice little place too: home of the Clamtown tavern, which has Lobster Bisque available everyday by demand and on Mondays they have a Mexi-Night with Tacos at $1 and a bucket of Corona $10 for seven Pony bottles.(what's a pony bottle?) Clamtown is also on the Reading and northern railroad steam railway and is home to Boy Scouts of America troop number 755. No restaurant called Susie Cucina, but apart from that a very worthy little town!

They are 7oz beer bottles. Cute little things for the Ladies.

I have been to this restaurant on several occasions, and enjoyed the food there. Went past a few weeks ago as wanted to dine there, but the place was shut up, so ended back at Marco's. Sorry to hear about the problems there.

Edited by mickmac

A pony is a 7 ounce bottle of beer. Don.t know why anyone would want that, but that's what it is.

I have been to this restaurant on several occasions, and enjoyed the food there. Went past a few weeks ago as wanted to dine there, but the place was shut up, so ended back at Marco's. Sorry to hear about the problems there.

What, the Clamtown Tavern? I'm surprised you've even heard of it!

Obviously you didn't go to college in the East Coast (of USA), pony bottles were sold for promos by the doz. etc., like Richie Cummingham said "I only drank little glasses". Glad my link did bring some happiness into your lives, only if they knew how much we are talking about them and WHY!

With all of the adjustments to life in LOS and CM, and then the pitfalls of doing business here, I'm actually wondering what was the reason the chef took off ? I've seen many chefs take off in my time back in the US, mind you, but still always curious.

In my experience Chefs often had the ability to hold the owners ransom with the threat of walking out, and in some cases with other employees, in Chef driven restaurants (not chains but where the Chef develops menus and works his magic). The Chef being an intergral part of the kitchen operation along with his reputation is paramount to the success of the establishment. Often ego and/or money is the cause on either or both sides. For this reason after earning a business degree and going on to owning a restaurant I went to culinary school not only to learn my product and what the kitchen staff was doing, both important and often overlooked aspects of being a restauranteur, but also to be able to jump in when the need arose. Luckily for me this gave me an avenue to channel my artistic frustration where I developed a passion for cooking and went on to open new venues as an owner/chef. But I can only imagine here with adding to the equation of losing face and perhaps not using the most professional management techniques (I’m not commenting on the aforementioned restaurant as I have stated I know nothing about besides having a nice meal there) it’s like adding cooking oil to the fire of the already volatile nature of this business.

I don't know that it really matters much if a restaurant is named for the chef. If he or she walks out and the replacement maintains the food quality, who is going to care? If I were to open a place and call it Eva's, and it turns out I named it for Eva Braun, who will know? Unless, of course, I opened it in Idaho, where publicizing that connection would be a really big draw.

Why name place after a chef that is going to leave? Too bad Suzie Cucina.

There was a fish and chip chef in a small Yorkshire village 40yrs ago, business was very local, and then it went downhill; then it was bought, and bought again, and it went worldwide and the little old man in that little Yorkshire village, now has his name at the very top of the fish and chip trade.

His name was Harry Ramsden...

I agree you'd just have to make up some fantastic story about the origin of the name unless it was common knowledge that it was named after a well known Chef. (lost me on the Eva/Idaho ref.)

Eva Braun, Hitler's mistress. Idaha, home to lots of neo-Nazis drawn there by the overwhelmingly pale complexion of the general populace

• Like 1

And you must be the past master of gay wit and raedy repartee then!!!!

And you must be the past master of gay wit and raedy repartee then!!!!

Well, one doesn't like to fly in the face of public opinion!