Paiboon Talking Thai <> Eng Dictionary

flying

I have the book & wondered how folks like the Android app

If it is as good as the book + easy search function

on a tablet might be a nice app to have.

Any feedback from those using it appreciated

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordinthehand.thaidict&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53b3JkaW50aGVoYW5kLnRoYWlkaWN0Il0.

I have it.

It was a bit expensive, but it's a lot better than the free ones I tried (I tried every one I could find on the market).

It's interesting just browsing through and seeing how Thai words are composed.

I also have these free ones installed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thana.info.thaidict

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tavola.dictionary.enthai.free

But I don't used them since I bought the Paiboon one a month or two ago.

Rich

• Like 1

I've been using it on the iPhone for some time now and it's really terrific! I use it almost every day to look up words I don't know in the Thai book I'm reading. If you cannot read Thai, however, I would guess it would be far less useful.

I've been using it on the iPhone for some time now and it's really terrific! I use it almost every day to look up words I don't know in the Thai book I'm reading. If you cannot read Thai, however, I would guess it would be far less useful.

I have the book & it is three way.....Is the software the same? I am just starting my reading Thai

I was hoping like the book it is three way

English

Thai Script

Thai sound

I have it on the iPad. It's better than the book because it has more features. I sent them a few recommendations. They responded quickly. And they are happy to get feedback. It sounds like they are working to making it even better.

• Like 1

I have the book & it is three way.....Is the software the same? I am just starting my reading Thai

English

Thai Script

Thai sound

Yes it is three way as well. It also has pronunciation for every word and many other useful features. One cool feature not available in any other dictionary I've seen is that you can look up a word in Thai without entering any accent marks (the words are simply in dictionary order). Saves a lot of typing!

My only complaint is that I frequently come across expressions that are not in the database and I have to look elsewhere. The database is large, but not large enough.

• Like 1

By all means, send in the suggestions of words not listed. We all benefit from a better product. Under Useful Word Groups I noticed "Times of the day" were missing. I suggested it to them (Help>Suggest a word) where they have an email address ([email protected]). They responded quickly, said others had requested that too, and that would be included in a new edition.

Paiboon Talking Thai <> Eng Dictionary has come in handy for me on numerouse occasions, mostly when talking with ladies and one of us is stumbling over a word the other doesn't understand. A better alternative and way handier than carrying a printed dictionary around.

You can also compare the different Thai scripts for that word, as you see in many signs. I used it daily in my classroom.

I wish they had phrases. Will email them! smile.png

It did not help me when I was teaching the verb "to fly" and "kite" and put them together. Students rolling with laughter and me, completely ignorant as to that expression. biggrin.png

• Like 1

You can also compare the different Thai scripts for that word, as you see in many signs. I used it daily in my classroom.

I wish they had phrases. Will email them! smile.png

It did not help me when I was teaching the verb "to fly" and "kite" and put them together. Students rolling with laughter and me, completely ignorant as to that expression. biggrin.png

I have downloaded the PS Windows trial version just to check it out & that feature was also something I really like.

As I look at more & more signs at times I am lost & realize it is the script...So appreciate that feature too.

I am going to buy it for my Android but am trying to decide phone or tablet

I guess it is not possible to buy it & share it between my two devices....is it?

Yes! You can share the app between devices, as long as they are all tied to the same Google account you used for purchasing the app. I have many apps (including the dictionary) that I bought initially on my Galaxy Note. Then later, I went to Google Play(pen) > My Account and loaded my purchased apps onto my tablet.

I think you can have up to 5 devices on a common Google account (not sure?) Anyway, if you bought a bunch of apps and put them on your phone, then lost your phone, you could buy a new phone, register it to your same Google account, and quickly reinstall the apps you purchased previously to your new phone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Yes! You can share the app between devices, as long as they are all tied to the same Google account you used for purchasing the app.

Just to follow up....Worked as you stated Sam

Now have the app on both my phone & tablet

Thanks

PS: App is very nice & so much better/easier than the book due to ease of use/convenience & script examples.

Edited by flying

I used it on the iPhone and now S2. Great app.

I'd like to be able to load two different, similar sounding, words onto the screen at the same time so that I can hear just how different the pronunciation is. (e.g. near and far). I can read it, but I think being able to toggle between the two sounds would be good.

English

Thai Script

Thai sound

Yes it is three way as well. It also has pronunciation for every word and many other useful features. One cool feature not available in any other dictionary I've seen is that you can look up a word in Thai without entering any accent marks (the words are simply in dictionary order). Saves a lot of typing!

My only complaint is that I frequently come across expressions that are not in the database and I have to look elsewhere. The database is large, but not large enough.

There are a lot of slang words, casual phrases, and popular proper noun destinations that are not included. I was surprised that some of the BTS stations (or BTS itself) were not included, such as Victory Monument. But it is in Google Translate.

I was weighing in on whether or not to buy it for $25. It's a one-time cost and I definetly thought it was worth it. If for anything else, the correct pronunctiation of the words. They put a lot of effort to make sure you are learning the correct way to pronounce the different tones, with an authentic audio pronunctiation next to each thai word that you can play on the spot. There really is no comparison amongst the free dictionary versions out there. The alternative is to carry around a separate thai-english talking dictionary. And you can put the dictionary on multiple phones if they are linked to the same Google Play account.

Paiboon is supposed to be one of the best companies for Thai <> English learning material; one of my teachers used their material as part of the lesson. As others have commented, they do take feedback seriously and look to improve their offering. One thing I would like to see in addition to more proper nouns/desinations is a short definition next to each word. They sometimes will have a synonym next to a word that has more than one meaning (to pick the correct thai equivilant), but not all the time. My gf would like to see more Thai definitions to the thai words as well.

• 1 year later...

Waiting to buy a Lumia 720 and was hoping W8 phone would have this app, but alas no. I actually emailed Paiboon asking if they plan to support the app on Windows but they said they were "waiting to see how much interest there was". I urge any W8 users to do the same to help speed up the process. It can't be that hard to do a W8 version can it?

Waiting to buy a Lumia 720 and was hoping W8 phone would have this app, but alas no. I actually emailed Paiboon asking if they plan to support the app on Windows but they said they were "waiting to see how much interest there was". I urge any W8 users to do the same to help speed up the process. It can't be that hard to do a W8 version can it?

Not hard, but probably have to pay some sort of licensing fee to Micro$oft

I saw this thread pop up again. At first I thought it was a new thread, but then I saw my entries from July 2012. So it's time to post an update.

It's still a great talking Thai-English-Thai dictionary. But there seems to be no ongoing support for updates, at least for the Android platform. It has been 18 months since the last version (1.7, a minor update) has been released in February 2012. I made a suggestion of adding "Times of day" to the "Useful words group" over a year ago. It was acknowledged and received enthusiastically, and in the response I was told others had suggested this too, and it would be in the next edition. There have to be numerous other suggestions during this time that have come in too. With the frequency that some other apps on my phone update (many of them seemingly meaningless updates), you'd think they could have gotten at least one update out in the last 18 months.

I d/l d it and it looked great. but having a knock off tablet, some problem fully installing.

Tried their help. ASTONISHING !!!! guy moved heaven and earth trying to solve, best ever support, unhappily it could not be installed and the guy got my refund imi.

I found out that the owners are US based,

• 6 months later...

In my opinion it is the best

I use it all the time and I recommend it to everyone.

Only problem is the google play store DRM. Always gives me heart ache when I'm trying to use it with out internet connection (flying, working remote etc.) by asking for license check.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I have this App on my Android phone. I like it a lot. It is well worth the money. It solves a lot of problems for me quickly. It does not a type of toggle function to see prior look ups ... I was able to form a phrase this way. However, I wish it had a real interface not just using the phone symbols to bring up the features. Some probably don't know what I mean by this - but it means having a displayed HOME menu screen with available functions - not just pecking around on symbols. Think LINE or Skype.

The English word look up works excellent ... some words were not found ... a few not being there surprised me.

The Thai Sound section has proven worthless to me. Obviously I am not 'getting something' ... I have used legitimate transliterated spelling for sounds and it never finds the correct word. I have used 'made up' sounds as I think I heard the word spoken --- nothing - so I just don't get it... And the Thai Script is a mystery ... The keyboard remains in English but will produce a Thai script symbol upon typing ... not knowing which English Key represents which Thai consonant or vowel makes any sort of typing a HPC - hunt - peck and cuss episode. My Thai g/f tried to use this mode -- but after a minute just looked at me like I was playing a joke on her. Perhaps there is a way to get the displayed keyboard to display the Thai script symbols -- but where is it? ...

For my $25.00 the one Section - English Look up that I can use makes the investment worthwhile.... But it could be much better with additional programming. I would pay more if it had a real interface and the functions all worked.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard any more about a Windows 8(.1) version . . . ?

Yes its still the best BUT it ONLY works online.

Many complaints about this in Google Play.

The company says it works offline, at least most of the time. That is not true.

So if you want to use it upcountry you need True move of CAT, as the other providers have poor coverage in the villages.