Gordon Strachan Quotes

lovejoy

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?

Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?

Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?

Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?

Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?

Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?

Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?

Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?

Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Strachan was on Sky on Sunday morning. He saw John Terry's goal and said he was impressed that Terry goes up expecting to score. He contrasted this to Claus Lundekvam the Saints central defender who goes up for every dead ball and never ever looks remotely like scoring. He said if there was a dead body lying in the penalty area the ball would hit it on the head several times a season which he said is more than Lundekvam can manage. He said referees should book Lundekvam for timewasting every time he goes up for a corner. When the co-commentator said if Lundekvam was watching Strachan was only joking. Strachan assured him he was deadly serious.

Some more:-

[referring to youngest ever English Striker Wayne Rooney]

Its an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson.

“The world looks a totally different place after two wins. I can even enjoy watching Blind Date or laugh at Noel's House Party.”

I used to drive home from Manchester United training along the M56 and there was a left turn for Wilmslow, where I lived, and a right turn for Hale, where Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson lived. I used to say that it was left for under three pints a night and right for more than ten.

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Gordon Strachan: "Velocity" [as he walks off]

Reporter: "Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the

England squad?"

Gordon Strachan: "I don't care, I'm Scottish!"

Gordon Strachan, new Celtic manager on his old teamate and Blue Nose manager Alex Mcleish...

"We are very close friends...[w]e have competed for years, going back to five-a-sides during training at Aberdeen. We even competed for the same acne cream in the Pittodrie dressing room when we were teenagers; I won, obviously."

And on being attacked while playing for Aberdeen by a Celtic supporter and Glasgow justice...

"It's always great fun getting attacked. One of the highlights of my career. He got fined 100 Pounds for that but they had a whip-round in the pub and he got 200."

and the best for last....

Gary Lineker: So Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you play?

Gordon Strachan: If I was English I'd top myself!