18 Year Old Dies In Road Accident Involving Parked Boat Trailer In Jomtien

Rimmer

18 year old dies in road accident involving parked boat trailer in Jomtien

PATTAYA:--An 18 year old man was killed and two of his friends were seriously injured after they drove into the back of a trailer carrying a boat which was left on the side of the Sukhumvit Road in Jomtien.

The accident was caught on CCTV which showed the three men were driving in a group of approximately 7 motorbikes when two of them slammed into the rear of the boat trailer on the side of the road. The other motorbikes failed to stop at the scene.

The owner of the boat and trailer is Khun Rainoo aged 36 who was detained by Police after they considered the trailer was parked inappropriately.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/58086/18-year-dies-road-accident-involving-parked-boat-trailer-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-06-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

a trailer carrying a boat which was left on the side of the Sukhumvit Road in Jomtien.

The sheer ignorance of the locals and how/what they park blocking up roads never ends to amaze.

I parked my bike in a long row of bikes along a small city highstreet. Some guy parked his pick-up directly behind the row of bikes.

Result: 10 seconds of nervous satisfaction and one pick-up with a scratched rear panel... unfortunately he didn't leave nearly enough room to get my bike out.

You always have to be aware of parked vehicles here, one of the team at Ducati Ekamai died riding his Monster home when he went over a humpback bridge and into the back of a parked truck that had been parked without warning lights or signage.

And let's not forget the law of Thailand - all vehicles, particularly motorbikes (due to enforcement) must ride in the left most lane. Please respect the laws of Thailand people.

Edited by siam cbr

On the other hand, how can you miss a whacking great boat and trailer? Unless, as these guys had, they had been to the pub earlier. Maybe looking where you are going, not chatting to each other as you drive or on the phone etc., might help.

Always expect the unexpected.

Exception being when some idiot parks over the brow of a humpback bridge.

showed the three men were driving in a group of approximately 7 motorbikes

if the motorbike riders were travelling side by side taking up the whole lane as I saw them doing

in Koh Chang yesterday on very narrow and hilly roads then I would have absolutely no sympathy with them.

if they ride like hoons sooner or later they will get their comeuppance.

In the West think we would call it contributory negligence

• Like 1

On the other hand, how can you miss a whacking great boat and trailer?

Actually it's not that difficult to run in to a stationary vehicle in a lane that's for moving traffic. It's surprisingly easy to miss judge the speed (even if it zero) of a vehicle ahead. I ride quite a lot and it's surprising how difficult it is to judge the speed and distance of the massive lorries/trucks that stumble along at 5kmph on the inside lane. If you are in that lane and a car is along side you in the right hand lane it can sometimes get hairy as you slow down, the car doesn't go past you but is still beside you as the rear of a massive truck is suddenly coming at you at 120kph (if you and the car are doing 130 and the truck is doing 10kph.) . There's very little room for error. If it is unexpected and you cannot change out of lanes due to other traffic, and your immediate instinct is that it is moving that there's certainly danger ahead.

Looking at the pictures it looks like the place was unlit as well.

Edited by siam cbr