Muai Thai Gym In Chiang Mai

ventix

Hi all .

I am going to stay 2 months in chiang mai with family ,and i like to ask if someone has any experience with muai thai gyms in chiang mai.I am complete novice with martial arts i am nore interesting in training muai thai for fitness .Any feedback from gyms should be gret .

Thanks

I trained at Lanna Muay Thai as a newbie ad felt that I learned a lot. I paid about 8000/month for 2 3hr sessions a day. There are other options as well, but I don't have any experience.

I did feel that I learned the basics, and I was in physically better condition after I trained for to plus months.

You can contact andymuaythaiatgmaildotcom to find out some info about what you expect to get out of your experience of training muay thai all are welcome what ever your age .

muaythai fighters are highly trained athletes and they do train for 6 hours a day but 2 of them hours is running .

Is that a standard practice, 6 hours training per day? It seems a "bit" too much, unless you want to compete for a world title. Or I could just be ignorant.

6 hours a day is fine,if you want to sleep for 18 hours, don't know where your going to find the time to eat though 24.gif unless your in your early 20's of course and training for a specific reason.

I was 29 last year. I got there at 6am and trained till 9, ate, took a nap, trained from 3-6 (or 4-7?) I often only did 2hrs in the afternoon.

And yeas, you are going to spend the first 30+ minutes running

then bag work and rotating in and out of the ring for 3-5 rounds.

I wish I had the time now to train, but I don't :/

Now it's much clearer that the price is at least 8k baht. Every recreational sport I've trained in my life was at most 6 hours per week, e.i. 3x two hour training per week. I also trained kick-box and you do learn a lot after couple of months, without need to exhaust yourself for 6 hours / day smile.png

Edited by FarangSerbia

For most Thai's who train Muay Thai it's a profession, not a recreation.

Also, Any put it. "We train you to fight here, whether you do or you don't is up to you, but there is no difference in the training".

I didn't feel exhausted from 5hrs a day, I felt better than ever did. I went from running 3km up Doi suthep wheezing and using my inhaler to 8km with out a single puff in 2 months.

It's definitely a good thing, I won't deny that - especially if you have time and money. However, I am a bit disappointed to see that recreational option for muay thai isn't possible.

But it is. Virtually any "farang-friendly" gym has all kinds of people coming in. From the tourist who arrived yesterday and is leaving tomorrow, to people who come in regularly a couple times a week, to people who train fulltime twice a day with the goal of fighting. These gyms will also have a pricing structure that accommodates this.

Also, while training 2-3 hours, twice a day, six days a week, sounds pretty dam_n elite, once you go you will see that there is only a very, very, small minority (perhaps none at whatever gym you go to), who really train those two-three hours. Most will spend most of their time exercising at a leisurely pace with a bunch of chatting and perhaps with a harder session on the pads with a trainer thrown in somewhere in between.

Edited by Awk

• 9 months later...

Can I jump in here and ask which are the serious Muay Thai places that I could attend 3 times a week as opposed to every day? I don't want a "tourist taster" place either - I'm considering dong it for the year of my stay, for fitness and as a skillset I've always had an interest in from afar. (I've done other martial arts instead)

Are there schools still taught by Thais that accept Westerners?

Also, I'd consider an MMA class too - any good ones in CM?

Thanks.

I really rate Pedro Villalobos and his Muay Thai Sangha school out in Hang Dong, A great teacher and some great training, again you will be expected to put in the hours, I was training there around 3hrs a day 5 days a week every morning but the serious guys were training in the mornings and evenings.

For most Thai's who train Muay Thai it's a profession, not a recreation.

Also, Any put it. "We train you to fight here, whether you do or you don't is up to you, but there is no difference in the training".

I didn't feel exhausted from 5hrs a day, I felt better than ever did. I went from running 3km up Doi suthep wheezing and using my inhaler to 8km with out a single puff in 2 months.

thanks for the information.

I definatly will not train.tongue.png

Can I jump in here and ask which are the serious Muay Thai places that I could attend 3 times a week as opposed to every day? I don't want a "tourist taster" place either - I'm considering dong it for the year of my stay, for fitness and as a skillset I've always had an interest in from afar. (I've done other martial arts instead)

Thanks.

Wait a second....you want to train at a serious gym, but you only want to train casually?

Team Quest is the only gym that teachs mma in chiang mai. They have their BJJ class at 230 and their pro mma team practices in the morning. The muay thai classes are good there as well.

Thanks.

The Muay Thai gym I use down by the train station has a predominantly farang membership but there are Thais training there too. It's the only one I've used so I can't compare it to others however for someone looking to enjoy their training, to learn the correct techniques ( there's a lot of concentration on that, rightfully so ) and to get fit / maintain fitness, it's the very place.

There are a few people who wander back and forth as it suits them so there's no expectation that you should train every day. I recommend, but probably more for the interested amateur than the hard core fighters.

Team Quest Thailand, near Central Airport Plaza. They are super friendly people and welcoming, have great programs grappling, mma, and Muay Thai. They have extremely experienced Thai's teaching Muay Thai classes, and the students range from 'never trained before, looking for fitness' to 'well known world champion'. You 'could' train for 6 hours a day if you wish (maybe for pro's), or you can take one class a day, that's only about 2 hours long, with some great conditioning if you just want to learn basics, or get in shape.