Portable Video Media Player In Bangkok?

Learned

I would like to get a portable device with a screen that can play video files on it.

It could be one of those portable DVD players with built in screen although the DVD drive isn't necessary if it has a USB port that divx and similar files can be played from.

Long battery life would be good or a way to add extra battery to it on long journeys.

Any recommendations on a particular model I could pick up in Bangkok and how much they cost?

Thanks.

Have you considered a tablet computer? Perhaps more than you want to spend.

Sinsiamelectronics shows a DVD portable player with 7" screen but only 4 hours battery life which would be due to the motor. Does have a USB playback so maybe battery would last longer. A tablet would have a much longer battery life - http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=198&products_id=2368

+1 for Tywais suggestion of a tablet.

One that you won't find in bkk yet (but maybe worth postponing your purchase and waiting for) is the new Google Nexus - a $200 7" pad built by Asus.

Otherwise, how long's a piece of string? You'll find tablets in bkk anywhere from 4000 baht to 44000 baht. Make sure you take a few samples of the video files you want to watch with you - not all of them, especially the cheaper ones, would be guaranteed to have the necessary horsepower.

Long battery life is going to be an issue regardless of what you buy. Some are better than others but it's battery technology that's at it's current (no pun intended) limit. If it's a problem you'd be best off carrying a battery pack, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Portable-Power-Pack-1000/dp/B005L38YX6

Thanks for the replies. Tablet might be a bit too expensive for what I need. It is just to keep the sprog entertained on flights and long car journeys which aren't a regular occurrence.

I will have a look at that Google pad though as it seems pretty affordable.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Tablet might be a bit too expensive for what I need. It is just to keep the sprog entertained on flights and long car journeys which aren't a regular occurrence.

I will have a look at that Google pad though as it seems pretty affordable.

do your kid a service and pay a little more for a cheap android tablet (or ipad if you want to pay more)

at least your kid will learn how to use computers (yes, even a smartphone is an educational tool) and as long as you don't fill it with mindless entertainment, it can be a self-learning tool

if anyone has android and wants some suggestions on kid apps/restrictions, pm me

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

1.5ghz dual-core, android ics, battery life about 6-7 hours for video, 16gb, USB and HDMI... can do tons of other things besides play movies (games/internet/apps/photos and videos etc etc..)... $150 shipped... shouldn't be any duty assuming shipper attaches the correct "made in china" forms.

Edited by happysanook

Android tablet... ipad won't do it..

Just load it up full of movies and your away with 10hrs + battery time.

Im running a motorola xoom 32gb internal/ 32gb external sd + rooted to allow external hdd connection.

Wifi internet if I need it.

I travel international a lot for work and its my lifeline..

Best money I ever spent.

Might add... if anyone starts banging on about ipad. They got no idea or plenty of money paying for itunes movies.

Edited by eeeya
  • Like 1

1.5ghz dual-core, android ics, battery life about 6-7 hours for video, 16gb, USB and HDMI... can do tons of other things besides play movies (games/internet/apps/photos and videos etc etc..)... $150 shipped... shouldn't be any duty assuming shipper attaches the correct "made in china" forms.

this looks like a good deal, keep in mind that a few of these chinese android devices can't connect to the android store (i see that for a fake Galaxy S2 that a coworker has) but this tablet happysanook linked shows a working app store, so I'd hope that means it works there. (no one in comments complaining about it either)

i might just get something like this myself.

this looks like a good deal, keep in mind that a few of these chinese android devices can't connect to the android store (i see that for a fake Galaxy S2 that a coworker has) but this tablet happysanook linked shows a working app store, so I'd hope that means it works there. (no one in comments complaining about it either)

i might just get something like this myself.

yes, there are a few that can't, but these Aurora II have no problem with market and play (judging by comments as jaysun points out and youtube) ..

and i think the current Aurora 1's as well (there were some reports of the original release Aurora 1 not being able to connect with play, but i believe the newer kernel / ics release Aurora 1's are good to go...at least from what i've seen on youtube)