Ten Dead, 17 Injured In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

As an ex-automobile interior design expert, and crash expert, I am amazed at how many experts are here at TV giving qualified opinion.

There is nothing to indicate that the bus was travelling at high speed, despite what many see as carnage.

Get a grip, and stop giving inadequate analysis, yet again, about thesis and guesses.

Farang have died here, and that is relative to our posting. Otherwise, you'd be posting about every van and bus crash every day.

May their families cope with their loss/es, and some hope of true events as to the cause of the crash be disclosed.

-mel.

• Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

when the press/police or posters on here speculate, that a bus driver

- fell asleep

- made a mistake

then this isnt really that far fetched - as its the common cause of bus accidents...

when the POLICE speculates, two girls mysterioulsy died

- of "food-poisoning"

within a few hours, with bleeding tissues, blue nails, an all-over skin rash, and without seeking help

then this is almost obscene...

...at least it appears so to many readers...

and when the bus wreckage leads to speculations about speed, then its also not unnormal - not every bus looks that bad, when hitting some post...

Edited by dingdang

RT @191Thailand: The BKK-Koh Pha Ngan tour bus left Bangkok at 7:30pm last night. There were 24 passengers & 3 bus staff.

RT @191Thailand: Latest news on 10 dead in bus crash: 5 foreign tourists (1 male and 4 female), 4 Thai tourists (4 male) and the driver.

Post Today reporting that 6 of the dead are foreign tourists (1 male & 5 female). The rest are Thai including the driver

Tragic, but 10 people and an indian ? Really !

It's relevant, because that's two Indians suffering in the news this week.

sent from my new Galaxy S3. ;)

-mel.

UPDATE

Indian tourist among ten dead in Thai bus crash

Bangkok, July 3, 2012 (AFP) - An Indian tourist was among ten passengers who died and several other foreigners were seriously injured after a bus ploughed into an electricity pylon in southern Thailand on Tuesday, police said.

The tourist bus, travelling from Bangkok to the popular resort of Phangan, hit a traffic island in the early hours of the morning, slewed into the electricity pole and flipped over, according to initial police findings.

Television footage showed locals carrying the injured and dead from the mangled wreck in Kanchanadit district of Surat Thani province, 650 kilometres (400 miles) south of the capital.

"Ten people died at the scene, five men and five women, and 17 people were wounded," Colonel Suriya Nakkeao, superintendent of Kanchanadit district police, told AFP.

"I can confirm that one Indian tourist has been killed," he added.

A Surat Thani tourist police officer confirmed the death toll, adding that "two British, two Indians and two Luxemberg nationals" were among the 17 people injured, all of whom were in a "serious condition."

Phangan is a resort island in the Gulf of Thailand neighbouring Koh Samui and draws thousands of backpackers to its famous full moon parties.

Thailand's tourist-friendly image has recently been tarnished by a series of tourist deaths, including the murder of an Australian tour operator in Phuket on June 20 in an attempted robbery.

Her death came less than a week after two Canadian sisters were found dead in their hotel room on nearby Phi Phi island, showing signs of an extreme toxic reaction.

Thai authorities have promised a crackdown on criminals and rogue traders in attempt to reassure tourists of the kingdom's safety.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-07-03

I would say that the bad roads in Thailand is the major problems. They are in bad condition and also the roads ara badly planned.

Not to mention all this U-turn possibilitys. And that people can cross the "highways" and that they are going in trough the city´s as well.

And the lack of trafficsigns. For example how many sign is there to see about speeding... not to many.

I believe the Thai governements (all of them) have saved money to long now building this shitty roads.

Maybe the buss drove in to a pothole in the road. And maybe the tire wasn´t to fresh. There are so many possibility in Thailand to end up in a traffic accident.

Also the driver license schools are a joke! And this "it happens not me" mentality that all thai people have? Or is it a buddist thing?

When the tourists stop coming to Thailand due to the risk of dyuing in the traffic. Then, and first then, the governments will do something about it.

But for now, to much money ends up in the pockets of corrupted politicians instead of building good roads.

I Love these constant posts about how Thailand will sink into the sea without us. The Kingdom is thousands of years old, has survived every possible calamity including invasions, floods and the American Army trying to turn it into a brothel for its soldiers. Trust me, it will endure, and possibly be improved when we all leave.

Enjoy your vacation....ummm...you are a TOURIST yes????

• Like 1

Popped tire is an excuse that might fly. Just as likely it's not true or partially true. Most bus drivers speed. Nearly all drive badly. Some doze off at the wheel. Some are drunk. Most chat while driving. All of 'em swerve across the median line.

Over a quarter century of being in Thai buses, I have some insight in to how they're driven.

Over 25 Years on Thai Buses and you still take them ?

Can't be that bad then can they .

According to the news reports on TV, the driver had been asked to slow down by one of the farangs a few moments prior to the accident. The tyre burst when it hit the kerb at over 110 kph.

Awful.

Dangerous roads.

It is not the roads that are the main problem but the inapt and incompetent drivers. You cannot safely drive a 12-15ton bus without proper knowledge, training and practise and the Thai drivers have neither!

• Like 1

I Love these constant posts about how Thailand will sink into the sea without us.

Agree.

I have lived in Thailand since 1990, and the moaners then were saying the same things, 22 years on, Thailand is still forging ahead whilst Western countries are sinking.

• Like 1

Thai authorities have promised a crackdown on criminals and rogue traders in attempt to reassure tourists of the kingdom's safety.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-07-03

Excellent. They will no doubt begin with the heart of most troubles, the Thai police force.

Awful.

Dangerous roads.

It is not the roads that are the main problem but the inapt and incompetent drivers. You cannot safely drive a 12-15ton bus without proper knowledge, training and practise and the Thai drivers have neither!

So how do you account for the thousands of buses all over Thailand that arrive at their destination safely on a daily basis ?

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not yet but it looks like it was the Samui bus.

My landlady has just been over and she is very upset. She knows two people who were killed in the crash. They were from Maenam. Two sisters returning from a family wedding, both died. One lady was the mother of the bride. The married couple were sitting behind them but they have survived. She doesn't have information about their injuries.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not yet but it looks like it was the Samui bus.

My landlady has just been over and she is very upset. She knows two people who were killed in the crash. They were from Maenam. Two sisters returning from a family wedding, both died. One lady was the mother of the bride. The married couple were sitting behind them but they have survived. She doesn't have information about their injuries.

Someone mentioned earlier that they had swapped the buses, it said koh pangan on the bus but it was going to samui. the bus to koh pangan arrived safely

when the press/police or posters on here speculate, that a bus driver

- fell asleep

- made a mistake

then this isnt really that far fetched - as its the common cause of bus accidents...

when the POLICE speculates, two girls mysterioulsy died

- of "food-poisoning"

within a few hours, with bleeding tissues, blue nails, an all-over skin rash, and without seeking help

then this is almost obscene...

...at least it appears so to many readers...

and when the bus wreckage leads to speculations about speed, then its also not unnormal - not every bus looks that bad, when hitting some post...

I appreciate your take on this but the logic you apply is quite selective...

You could argue that on finding two dead girls in a hotel room, no sign of a struggle, poisoning would naturally be the first assumption. Food poisoning being relatively common in Thailand. To be fair I think the speculation about illicit drugs/ magic mushrooms drew the most reaction and rightly so. Why? Because of the effect that would have on the victims family reading these speculative comments at such a tragic time.

You could also argue that on inspecting the scene of a bus crash where you have surviving witnesses, police speculation is unnecessary as you could talk to the witnesses and gather their accounts of the events first... before alluding to driver faults.

The big difference being that they have witnesses that were on the bus who surely can give an accurate account of what happened. If the driver was drunk, on drugs, speeding or asleep surely someone would make reference to that in their witness statement?

A driver falling asleep on the job and losing control due to a blown front tyre are totally different in terms of the blame that is being apportioned to the (deceased) driver in this incident. This guy has a family too but perhaps not so easy for people to readily identify with a Thai bus drivers family as opposed to a foreign tourist's... who knows, but there's a distinct lack of people calling for sensitivity towards his family.

I would say that the bad roads in Thailand is the major problems. They are in bad condition and also the roads ara badly planned.

Not to mention all this U-turn possibilitys. And that people can cross the "highways" and that they are going in trough the city´s as well.

And the lack of trafficsigns. For example how many sign is there to see about speeding... not to many.

I believe the Thai governements (all of them) have saved money to long now building this shitty roads.

Maybe the buss drove in to a pothole in the road. And maybe the tire wasn´t to fresh. There are so many possibility in Thailand to end up in a traffic accident.

Also the driver license schools are a joke! And this "it happens not me" mentality that all thai people have? Or is it a buddist thing?

When the tourists stop coming to Thailand due to the risk of dyuing in the traffic. Then, and first then, the governments will do something about it.

But for now, to much money ends up in the pockets of corrupted politicians instead of building good roads.

I Love these constant posts about how Thailand will sink into the sea without us. The Kingdom is thousands of years old, has survived every possible calamity including invasions, floods and the American Army trying to turn it into a brothel for its soldiers. Trust me, it will endure, and possibly be improved when we all leave.

No, Richard, I am not a tourist. Are you? Maybe a blind and deaf tourist only seeing the girls in BKK?

But I have driven a lot in Thailand myself. From Ratchaburi down to the very south. And I destroyed several tires and suspensions. Because the roads are so fine? I don´t think so...

May I remember about the accident that happen about 4-6 weeks ago? 4 english boys died in that accident.

Is it better putting the head in the sand? By not saying anything? OK, in that case I appologize for my topic.

Not so sure it survived the American Army bit. :unsure:

According to the news reports on TV, the driver had been asked to slow down by one of the farangs a few moments prior to the accident. The tyre burst when it hit the kerb at over 110 kph.

If this is true then why the need for the initial police speculation in the reports?

If an eye witness has stated that the driver was speeding, hit the kerb and burst the tyre, while the police are giving out press statements about sleeping drivers, someone really needs to have a word about due process. Talk to the witnesses, gather evidence at the scene and then issue a press statement.

It might make TV a dull place by removing all the speculative posts but would save those personally involved in these tragic situations a lot of grief searching about for fact over fiction.

Edited by Ferangled

I all the years traveling to and in Thailand, catching the bus never has been an option for me. To many crashes for the obvious reasons. Nevertheless do some people have no choice other than catching a bus. My thoughts go to all the victims in this crash as well as their relatives.

If this is true then why the need for the initial police speculation in the reports?

If an eye witness has stated that the driver was speeding, hit the kerb and burst the tyre, while the police are giving out press statements about sleeping drivers, someone really needs to have a word about due process. Talk to the witnesses, gather evidence at the scene and then issue a press statement.

It might make TV a dull place by removing all the speculative posts but would save those personally involved in these tragic situations a lot of grief searching about for fact over fiction.

the police here will always speculate to the press, in my opinion is a face thing and an inability to say 'investigations are ongoing so I would not like to speculate'

They don't do things by halfs do they.

My experience with Transport Co. buses has generally been very good. Like Nakhon Chai Air they operate modern VIP buses, with the 24 seaters being the best of the best I believe. While it is too early to be sure, it is possible that it was just bad luck, something on the road, or perhaps a faulty tire.

Either way, let's hope that pending the results of an investigation, Transport Co. as a professional outfit, will implement whatever changes are necessary to reduce the chances of this happening again.

They don't do things by halfs do they but, at least he didn't flee the scene.

There is no such thing as bad luck. If it weren't the tyres it would have been the brakes. Or something else.

And does anyone think all the prospective passengers are gonna climb over and crawl under each and ever bus they travel on, Ya gotta be joking

And of the 24 passengers .how many would know shyt from shinola and what they were looking at or what to look for.

Implement whatever changes are necessary, don't hold your breath TIT

No the Driver didnt flee the scene.... he would have had a hard job considering he was dead and in three pieces

It's not just bald tyres and bad driving though. The way the buses are constructed is haphazard, in backstreet factories with old parts and amateur welders tagging bits on as they feel like.

You can see on that one in the video linked above how the box section ladder chassis has just crumpled, there's no structural rigidity to it, and thus no protection during an accident. Look at the difference:

Here's a Czech bus that crashed in Germany carrying 57 people, and went on it's roof, with 1 dead

bus_crash_101010.jpg

Here's the Thai bus that hit a pylon, carrying 24, and left 10 dead

fb.jpeg

No one in the front 3rd of that bus stood a chance. Different accidents, I know. But I suspect if the Thai bus had gone on it's roof then the death toll would have been higher still.

And then there's the question of whether or not the seats were bolted down properly, and to what.

If they put half as much thought into basic construction as they put into lights, murals and sound systems then they might get somewhere. Until then I'll avoid them like the plague.

Not sure if the government buses are any better?

Edited by NBD
  • Like 2

I love your constant defence of Thailands bad habits

• Like 1

Awful.

Dangerous roads.

So how do you account for the thousands of buses all over Thailand that arrive at their destination safely on a daily basis ?

Miracle Thailand.......... another poster who needs to get real dohhhhhhhhh!!!

I Love these constant posts about how Thailand will sink into the sea without us.

Agree.

I have lived in Thailand since 1990, and the moaners then were saying the same things, 22 years on, Thailand is still forging ahead whilst Western countries are sinking.

Yeah forging ahead alright...... and here is the cost of forging ahead.

the police here will always speculate to the press, in my opinion is a face thing and an inability to say 'investigations are ongoing so I would not like to speculate'

I agree it probably is a face thing but both the police and press here seem to be a bit more careful with the speculation when it comes to cases involving the more "Hi So" Thais...

I guess defamation cases are easier to file when the alleged victim has political clout and money behind them.

Edited by Ferangled

I actually think the road layouts are pretty good here on the whole. The surfaces can be crappy, but in terms of dual carriageways, slip roads, bridges, pull off areas and so forth it's quite well laid out. Agree some of the U turns are precarious, but if used properly (I know...) then they would be fine.

It's the drivers and the vehicles that are the problem.

Agree.

That's because Thailand was far from modern and has been playing catch-up. I really wish when people say that Thailand is moving ahead while the west is tuckered out, they would mention that 20 years ago or whenever, Thailand was behind and a lot of the growth comes from modernization. So naturally there should be a steady improvement or a higher growth than mature economies. Thanks.

• Like 1