Ten Dead, 17 Injured In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

Here's my 2p:

Several months ago my wife & children used one of these busses for a return journey to Bkk. Knowing the pitfalls I took it upon myself to inspect the vehicle (without making it obvious) thoroughly for as much as could be seen, namely tyres, seat belts, lights/indicators & overall appearance. I found the vehicle clean, servicable & with 2 uniformed drivers who looked presentable/fresh/Sober. They had at least one trolley dolley too. The bus was in the same blue pink livery as the one in this thread. My only negative note was that all the busses @ the Samui bus station (inc my wifes) had signs of previous damage & repair (mirror antennae knocked off, rear end shunts, T Boned, the lot). My family belted up for the duration & their feedback upon return was that this was a safe operation re speed, timetable, driver rotation, comfort stops etc.

Re Brakes (someone's bound to ask!); I had no way of testing them but it looked ok when it pulled in & manouvered around in the bus station.

I hope this puts some of the nonsence in this thread to bed.

You inspected ONE bus thats all you did.

....recently & from the company in question and at the likely destination of the ill fated vehicle in the Original Post!

Edited by evadgib

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Thailand, I love it's people, I love it's culture, if I didn't I wouldn't be here. I prefer most things in Thailand over my own country the USA. But anybody who thinks Thai bus drivers (on average) are as experienced or as careful as American bus drivers (on average) is crazy or simply in denial for whatever reasons. I've taken Greyhound buses back and forth from California to Florida many times since I am afraid of flying and majority of my friends and family live in both those two states. I have never feared for my life on these rides the way I do when I take long distance buses in Thailand.

I have never been on any bus from California to Florida where the driver sped 10 miles or more over the speed limit and I have never seen a driver on any of those trips try to pass slower traffic on two lane roads with the right lane being the oncoming traffic lane. I have however seen both of these things happen every single time I have taken a long distance bus in Thailand. The drivers here take much more risks.

With you on that one, i totally agree, i love everything, but i am petrified to drive, so i refuse to drive over here, its either ''Taxi'' or ''Bus''.. the thought of driving here, terrifies me.. and i have driven in a lot of Countries, but Thailand takes the biscuit..

As for California, driven there as well, and its HEAVEN.. love America for that..

Kind of reminds me of John Madden.. the former Raiders coach. He won't fly either, takes the bus everywhere he goes. Of course, it's his bus. biggrin.png

The question as to why they don't invest was rhetorical. I am not here to bash the country I love, I really want to see it change for the better, it has such great potential and there seems to be so many deaths here that could easily be avoided.

The loss of human life here on the road is staggering. 6 years and I've been to 16 RTA-related funerals, including a very close family member.

I wish they'd do something to stop it.

Worldwide there are 1.2 Million Deaths and 50 Million injuries on the roads, we can all have thoughts of a perfect world were nobody has accidents, but it will never happen.

If you took away Thailands death toll and injury toll, you would still be left with a staggering amount.

From the global total? Well yes, obviously.

I'm more concerned about Thailand as it's where I spend all of my time, where I'm a daily road-user and where my children are being raised.

Any loss of life is sad, I can't argue that point. But I'm not asking for some accident-less utopia either. Human error and recklessness will always exist until the whole world has computerized transport infrastructures and vehicles. Even then accidents would occur.

What I'd really like to see is some very simple and effective measures the gov't can undertake to drastically reduce the amount of totally unnecessary death that occurs in large numbers every day. I don't want to get into another statistics war, but if you could take true, real figures Thailand has to have one of the highest RTA fatality numbers in the world and that's where I live. Something I didn't realise until the other day is that if death occurs more than 24 hours after an RTA, it isn't counted in official statistics. Well that's how I understood it. That's insane.

Of course, implementing the tiniest changes on a national scale would cost money, mean police forces would need to be pro-active and enforce the law and it's just never going to happen with the way things are in this country right now.

That's a sad sad truth.

(Edit: sp)

Edited by ManInSurat

If only Thailand could just bite a bullet and upgrade it's rail network to cover more/all of the country, including to its ferry terminals. Large swathes of Thailand have no form of rail at all. It's totally bizarre. The investment made today will bring large profits and dividends in the future not only from tourism, but from industry and give people a much safer (albeit noisy and slower) alternative to getting around. People will still take buses, but surely it'd decrease the ridiculously large amount RTA and farang-RTA fatalities in a big way.

100% agree, good point.

Trains are much safer, unless....................http://en.tengrinews.kz/opinion/176/

Not wanting to go too off topic here, but I'd argue that rail accidents are much like aircraft accidents in the respect that they cause a large number of people to lose life in one event and as such are much more shocking and stick in the mind indelibly.

I'm sure they must be safer statistically, even on a global scale when compared to RTAs, even in the "third world" and a quick peruse of Google backs this up.

The question as to why they don't invest was rhetorical. I am not here to bash the country I love, I really want to see it change for the better, it has such great potential and there seems to be so many deaths here that could easily be avoided.

The loss of human life here on the road is staggering. 6 years and I've been to 16 RTA-related funerals, including a very close family member.

There is a big difference in regards to a Bus and Airplane. The requirement and the safety with a commericai aircraft being fllow is not even comparable! There are so many check and balances which thank god is out of the hands of the Thai officials.

As for doing something it not that they can't the people in charge don't want because they don't see anything wrong with their system. The same people we are asking to do something are the people. Have you ever seen the police drive breaking all the rules they are expected to enforce? Have you seen the people working in government offices drive? One has to recognize there is a problem and imbrace the needed changes.

Just speaking to a friend now, her friends uncle was the Indian guy that died on the bus, his wife is panic stricken at the hospital in Surat Thani, unable to speak Thai. These are just people on holiday and now her life has altered for ever.

Life is a gamble!

This is so sad.

I think the more salient comparison would be to look at commercial related fatalities. In the U.S. one must have a commercial drivers license, speed limits are enforced, weight limits are enforced, maximum driving limits and mandatory rest periods are enforced, drug testing is mandatory and enforced, etc. None of these things are enforced here in Thailand. One point of speed limits is to provide some chance of driver reaction/control/survival in case of the unexpected (such as a blown tire); weight limits keep vehicles within controllable design criteria; driving time limits maintain driver reaction times and decision making; drug testing is obvious. With these types of controls implemented in some countries and not in others, it might be interesting to compare commercial-related fatalities per 1 Million passenger-kilometers (or something similar). I suspect the worldwide differences would be dramatic.

Accidents do happen; but as a pilot I can say that in aviation, accidents are rarely the result of a single cause. More often than not they are the result of an accumulation of contributing factors. I suspect the same is true with commercial-related driving accidents.

If only Thailand could just bite a bullet and upgrade it's rail network to cover more/all of the country, including to its ferry terminals. Large swathes of Thailand have no form of rail at all. It's totally bizarre. The investment made today will bring large profits and dividends in the future not only from tourism, but from industry and give people a much safer (albeit noisy and slower) alternative to getting around. People will still take buses, but surely it'd decrease the ridiculously large amount RTA and farang-RTA fatalities in a big way.

100% agree, good point.

Trains are much safer, unless....................http://en.tengrinews.kz/opinion/176/

Not wanting to go too off topic here, but I'd argue that rail accidents are much like aircraft accidents in the respect that they cause a large number of people to lose life in one event and as such are much more shocking and stick in the mind indelibly.

I'm sure they must be safer statistically, even on a global scale when compared to RTAs, even in the "third world" and a quick peruse of Google backs this up.

There is a big difference in regards to a Bus and Airplane. The requirement and the safety with a commericai aircraft being fllow is not even comparable! There are so many check and balances which thank god is out of the hands of the Thai officials.

As for doing something it not that they can't the people in charge don't want because they don't see anything wrong with their system. The same people we are asking to do something are the people. Have you ever seen the police drive breaking all the rules they are expected to enforce? Have you seen the people working in government offices drive? One has to recognize there is a problem and imbrace the needed changes.

You didn't read why we were talking about aircraft. Of course the aircraft are safe, they have to comply with Western standards otherwise the millions of tourists wouldn't be able to come here by plane as there's stringent rules on which aircraft are allowed to land in most economially-developed countries.

I was simply saying the rail network should be upgraded and it would make massive profit in the future with tourism and industry/commerce. I still think that's a valid point and would reduce deaths on the road dramatically.

They have to actually know there's things drastically wrong with the system. Abhisit, Takhsin and Yingluck, to cite examples have spent large amounts of time out of the country in economically developed countries to know this. You're not going to convince me they don't know, in their heart of hearts, that things could be a lot better if small effort was made.

If you argued bureaucracy gets in the way, well yes, it definitely does. To say that the people in power, who make the decisions, don't know there's serious deeply-ingrained problems in this country. I don't believe that.

Your average "Joe the plumber" yes, more often than not they are obilivous, as that's the picture they are painted.

Anyway, I don't want to politicize this thread.

I just want the government to take some simple and effective steps to make the road safer. I'm allowed to dream.

Edited by ManInSurat

I really suggest everyone in Thailand planning to use a bus or minivan to first double check all tires!

Is that before or after you bought the ticket?

Most times I buy a ticket here in Thailand, the bus, van or train has not arrived yet and should the said transport be waiting there, it's probably too late to check the state of the vehicle and if satisfied with the condition, run and buy a ticket.

OK buy a ticket first, then check the bus, van or train. What if one isn't satisfied?

Change ticket? "Solly, can not - bus, van, train funn"

Return the ticket? "Solly - NO lefund!"

Never mind, safety and life is more important then money.

So just sod the refund buy a new ticket and start checking again. One might have found a brand new vehicle, completely safe but the driver isn't quite satisfactory. Or the driver is very professional (YES, you do get them in Thailand too) but the vehicle is past his drive-by date.

Now, after several weeks at the bus, van or train station, buying uncountable tickets (remember -No Refund), checking hundreds of busses, van's and trains, one might have become an expert in those matters but still not gone anywhere.

Now I would say, forget checking the tyres (unless you're willing to buy new ones and change them by yourself)- you will just be ignored but much easier,

DO WEAR THOSE SEAT BELTS!!!

Most (not all) busses and van's I've been travelling in had them fitted. If you're really, really concerned wear a helmet too and a quick prayer sure doesn't harm either

I have taken one bus trip from Nong Kai to Chiangmai around 15 years ago. It caught fire! I bought a car the following week.

People use buses because they offer a low price. Economics plays a certain role in choosing to use a bus for transport. I prefer mini vans for long distance drives when the wife is over me road raging my way through the day. One just has to google the stats on the most dangerous form of public transportation throughout the world. Guess what it's buses. It doesn't sound like anyone on this forum has taken a bus trip in India or South America. I have! It is one of the most frightening experiences in my life. In comparison Thailand is as safe as anywhere. I just want to add that I would rather roll with the worst Thailand has to offer meaning it's people and their ways than roll with the meat heads in my birth country and I love my country and it's people very much.

RIP to all and condolences to the survivors.

Edited by MILT
  • Like 1

A tyre blow out can happen to any one of us at any time. we do not know whats on the road in front of us at any time, or forces exerted on the fitted tyres, one of those risks involved with road travel. RIP travelers. Trans.

True that.

1.2 Million Deaths and 50 Million injured yearly worldwide will testify to that. That's an awful lot of accidents that happen outside of Thailand.

http://www.who.int/v...t/en/index.html

U must have the thickest heaviest shade of rose tinteds Ive ever seen here, No motorways, what else would you call a 4 lane highway in Thailand?? let me guess a "b" road, the only safe road for U turns are the expressways and thats because you cant u turn on them like on their dual carriageways which are in effect motorways.

The Uk has dual carriageways similar to Thai roads and you cant U turn on them because the stupid UK govt obviously decided it was dangerous but the clever Thai govt decided it was not.

I like the go home veiled argument funny.

I dont live in Thailand for its culture.

Let me know when you are waiting at a Junction and someone drives into the back of you whilst stationary..........of course that wont happen, you are the worlds best driver, sadly Thailand contains many of the worlds worst and they wont figure in your good driving skills.

The 1.2 million deaths is a pathetic argument I cant even be bothered to go into.

Thai drivers are pretty crap period.

You do start to wonder though. I do anyway. I mean Thailand does have laws on all of these things - speed limits, condition of vehicle including tyre wear, vehicle construction, number of passengers, motorbike helmets etc etc. They are just so many ideas which are totally ignored.

I expect planes are held to a higher standard, but seeing the absolute disregard that many people have for the laws on the roads, and the total disinterest of the police in enforcing them, then why will it be any different at the airport?

That is not really the question you should be asking. A more pertinent one would be "how can the almost daily crashes of buses and minibuses be reduced?"

In my own home country, UK, bus travel is just about the safest form of transport and I would not hesitate to use one there. Unfortunately my experience here in Thailand means I would never use buses for travel here.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thailand does not have the same road structure that the UK has, Motorways etc.

If the UK had the same percentage of motorcyles on the road as Thailand does and the same road system, do you honestly think UK's RTA fatalities would not be much higher?

I dunno, nor do you, but one thing I do know, TV experts on all things believe they are superior to Thais in all things, Thais can't do this right, Thais can't do that right, well, western countries are not run by Thais, and look what a fawking mess they are in, how do you explain that, and how do you explain all the Farangs from these western eutopias who CHOOSE to live here instead of their own countries, a country run by Thais !!!! ?

Accidents happen, period!

This country does not have the motorway system like the UK does, so please, don't even try to compare the two.

You could be the Thai transport minister with that attitude " accidents happen" end of

You do start to wonder though. I do anyway. I mean Thailand does have laws on all of these things - speed limits, condition of vehicle including tyre wear, vehicle construction, number of passengers, motorbike helmets etc etc. They are just so many ideas which are totally ignored.

I expect planes are held to a higher standard, but seeing the absolute disregard that many people have for the laws on the roads, and the total disinterest of the police in enforcing them, then why will it be any different at the airport?

Because the planes bringing people into the country would not be allowed to leave and/or land in most (if not all) major European/American/Australian airports, presenting a serious problems in getting the millions of tourists out of and into the country. There are lots of commercial airlines worldwide that are banned from major Western countries' airspace for the reasons of their planes not being up to the strict safety requirements.

Regardles, this an RTA. Not an aviation accident. It's not relevant and has gone off topic.

Edited by ManInSurat

My wife worked at a co. that had this ISO standard, they didnt actually pass the standard so paid up a backhander to get that ISO sticker, its how it works here

Because the planes bringing people into the country would not be allowed to leave and/or land in most (if not all) major European/American/Australian airports, presenting a serious problems in getting the millions of tourists out of and into the country. There are lots of commercial airlines worldwide that are banned from major Western countries' airspace for the reasons of their planes not being up to the strict safety requirements.

Regardles, this an RTA. Not an aviation accident. It's not relevant and has gone off topic.

Yeah but I'm talking about domestic flights, Nok Air, Thai domestic etc. Are they held to the same standard in any way?

Yeah but I'm talking about domestic flights, Nok Air, Thai domestic etc. Are they held to the same standard in any way?

Well if you want to continue down Soi Off Topic, I'll answer your question. I don't see domestic flights falling out of the sky on a regular basis and if anything the amount of domestic flights has dramatically increased with Thaiand's popularity as a tourist destination. Not to mention that lots of regional airports, like Krabi and Phuket have international destinations now.

Since 1991, there have been 4 commercial plane crashes in Thailand. (Source) Of the two I was here to witness, via the news coverage on TV/here and in person in Surat, wind shear was a major cause in the Phuket accident and Surat's more recent accident had 1 fatality - the pilot.

I'm not an expert on domestic aircraft safety regulation, so I won't speculate about that, but the statistics here lead me to believe they are held to a high standard.

Also, as another member said quite rightly, many things have to fail in order for a plane to crash. The safety and backups and training are extremely rigorous.

Bringing it back to the topic of roads, where we really should be, on my way to pick up the kids from school, I saw 5 bikes pass me where not one of the children driving was over 12. I know this as they attend the same school as my son. None were wearing helmets. None of their (in some cases 4) passengers were either and they must have been doing over 60km/h in a built up residential area and the 2 traffic policemen stationed on the road their school is on both ignored them completely.

Anyone who's anyone can get a lisence here, not that they're even checked regularly, and it's so easy for something to go wrong and it often does. There's no backup, that backup the backups for road users here.

Edited by ManInSurat

That is why I never take a night bus anywhere. Took a sleeper bus from Hoi An to Da Nang in Vietnam. First and only time. Driver was good, but a maniac in the mpuntains. We were passing motor bikes going up and down very steep mountains. ... in the dark. I normally take long distance buses in daytime, except in western countries; where the drivers are normally changed every 8 hours & the buses are (probably) mechanically checked. I have seen many abandoned buses in North America, so they are not all that mechanically sound either.

Why do some TV posters want to spend so much time making multiple postings on a thread like this?

Ghoulish.

Coming on a forum in the middle of the night to point out the perceived faults of other people and not showing any form of condolence towards the OP? That's not "ghoulish" is it?

We can't have a discussion about accident saftey in a thread about a road accident in Thailand? No one's getting out of hand or being disrepectful. Everyone seems to have handled themself with decorum as should be the case.

It's a forum where people exchange ideas and try and be respectful to one another. People did die in the accident and no one's allowed to talk about it? I don't understand.

Show some respect yourself and other people might do the same.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

Obviously, this line from the report can be credibly rearranged -->>

"According to the initial investigation, the front right tire burst, causing the driver to lose control and the bus hit the electric pole at full speed."

to -

"...causing the driver to lose control and the bus hot the electric pole at full speed...the front right tire burst..."

Because it is common for tyres to burst upon severe impact. Then the cause of this horrible crash would have to found elsewhere.....e.g.,as in the post above.

If the tire burst causing the accident, then parts of that tire

would be found farther back up the highway, and asymmetrical skid marks

would have commenced from that point till the crash.

A horrible occurrence whatever the cause.

RIP to the dead.

My condolences to the families of the deceased, and prayers for the recovering.

• Like 1

Its really sad to hear that someone had already told the driver to slow down but yet no action is taken.

rip

I know. I would drop that dude at the first stop if he ignored such a request and I was on the bus. Forget what Mel said, that bus was moving to cause that much damage. I have worked with accident reconstructionists in high speed head on collisions and seen some A pillars bent back, but that bus is demolished.

• Like 1

The UK however does have a strict driving test so the education of drivers would play a big part in them being aware of dangers. have you ever done the Thai driving test? I have, the only driving part was basically parking on a car park, no driving on the road whatsoever

Yes I have done the UK driving test, but, we ain't driving in the UK . I also did the Thai driving Test, and yes, it could do with some upgrading, but it is what it is, we can't change it.

Ever been to India, ever driven in a major city, do you in your wildest dreams think that your UK driving education will help you, or will you have to adapt to the conditions in that country ?

You adapt to the conditions, you have no choice, things are what they are, we have to accept it, or don't drive on the roads, all the whining and moaning on an internet forum will not change a thing, you have to adapt !!

i think , just to answer YOUR point , yes , any driving education will help you , the word EDUCATION gives you the answer in its self , i expect thais would find it difficult to drive on our roads without causing some road rage either , the fact that this is an internet forum does'nt mean it falls on deaf ears , a few ignorant ones no doubt , but without it i would know nothing about this accident , becouse as usual the death of tourists in thailand goes largely unreported in the UK, don't know about the rest of europe and america , but if it stops anyone either coming to thailand or getting on a thai bus i think its done a worthwhile job , i for one discourage any friends or relatives from coming to thailand anymore , and if it saves 1 life its been worth a post and worth a word , oneday maybe even the thai gov;t will sit up and take notice of what the world thinks of them and take some action ,........ i wont hold my breath though !.

The UK however does have a strict driving test so the education of drivers would play a big part in them being aware of dangers. have you ever done the Thai driving test? I have, the only driving part was basically parking on a car park, no driving on the road whatsoever

Yes I have done the UK driving test, but, we ain't driving in the UK . I also did the Thai driving Test, and yes, it could do with some upgrading, but it is what it is, we can't change it.

Ever been to India, ever driven in a major city, do you in your wildest dreams think that your UK driving education will help you, or will you have to adapt to the conditions in that country ?

You adapt to the conditions, you have no choice, things are what they are, we have to accept it, or don't drive on the roads, all the whining and moaning on an internet forum will not change a thing, you have to adapt !!

i think , just to answer YOUR point , yes , any driving education will help you , the word EDUCATION gives you the answer in its self , i expect thais would find it difficult to drive on our roads without causing some road rage either , the fact that this is an internet forum does'nt mean it falls on deaf ears , a few ignorant ones no doubt , but without it i would know nothing about this accident , becouse as usual the death of tourists in thailand goes largely unreported in the UK, don't know about the rest of europe and america , but if it stops anyone either coming to thailand or getting on a thai bus i think its done a worthwhile job , i for one discourage any friends or relatives from coming to thailand anymore , and if it saves 1 life its been worth a post and worth a word , oneday maybe even the thai gov;t will sit up and take notice of what the world thinks of them and take some action ,........ i wont hold my breath though !.

I hate to advocate violence, but I think telling bus driver on front end to be safe or else and then pounding him pretty good if he starts driving like a fool could be only deterent. Mexicans are learning. Several attempted bus highjackings have recently been thwarted by the bus load of people beating the highjackers to death, literally. Bus driver places me or my family at risk, I will give him something to think about before he does it to someone else.

• Like 1

please continue:

ACCIDENT

Six tourists among 10 dead in coach crash

The Nation

30185458-01_big.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- Six foreign tourists and four other people were killed yesterday when their coach, bound for Koh Pha Ngan, blew a tyre at high speed, veered into a divider strip and slammed into a power pole before flipping on its side in a ditch.

Full story:

//CLOSED//