When Is Too Much Too Much?

sirchai

Hello all,

When is too much being online too much?

I was just trying to explain to our son that he’s too long online. Facebook, games, you tube and all that other fancy stuff.

But then on the other hand I thought about my own behavior. Thai visa, looking for some teaching material, writing some e-mails, movie downloads, Skype, ohh a speech for some kids, some other research, a new program for a friend, booking a ticket online etc…..

Various websites offer free software downloads and I’m almost a professional regarding hard and software. Friends and colleagues are asking me if I couldn’t take a look at their damaged computers.

I grew up without cell- or mobile phones, and being together with friends was just fantastic. When mobile phones were invented many kids started to send a SMS to each other, instead of talking. But when they met, there was no more talking.

Is it possible that many of us are sitting too long in front of a monitor? I’d love to hear other peoples’ input of their way handling the 21st century and its ‘superb’ technology.

The first graders in this country, pretty soon, using tablets scare the poo out of me………..wai.gif

post-108180-0-76876900-1341324128_thumb.

They used to tell us if we sat in front of the TV too long we would get "square eye balls!" Obviously this was nonsense and I read that yours eyes would let you know when you had been viewing long enough, making you feel tired etc. Now, as a pensioner, I'm experiencing a "tingle" in the back of my head that I am putting down to eye strain through spending too much time in front of the monitor and the TV. So I guess it means your body knows when you've had enough and not to exceed the dose!!

• Like 1

You know you've been at the monitor too long...

when you can't get up and walk to the fridge on your own.

when you don't notice your wife left you weeks ago.

Let's keep this one going..

• Like 2

Or when you think your wife's your mother in law.....biggrin.png

And when you get to the fridge you are looking for the mouse so you can click to open the door.

When you notice the wife is gone the first reaction is to right-click on the Recycle Bin icon.

Mother-in-law? Try Uninstall.

It isn't how long you take that counts it is how well you do it.

Splitting out your activities many seem to be activities which could and would be done without a computer but not as easily or well. Wriing letters is generally an accepted activity. It should also be on the web, Reading relevent books or articles is a normal activity. Playing games is an activity which would generally be limited in real life and so should be on the computer.

Problems do arise when there is not a level of physical activity too. We were not made to sit all the time. Maybe you will have to work hard to ensure both you and your son get enough.

i say, if you want them off the boob-tube, give them something else to do that's a compelling alternative. I'm trying to find tons of legos, for example.

Legos for a fourteen year old..........w00t.gif