Mazda 3 Hatchback Vs Honda Jazz

The wife totalled the car so we need a new car. I loved the honda jaz but a 5 month wait is a bit long. I wonder how does the storage space of the mazda 3 hatchback compare to the honda jazz.

I believe the honda jazz is the biggest in its class that is why i won't even consider the fiesta or the mazda 2 or the yaris.

I have had a white Mazda 3 for 2 years now. 1.6 liter engine. I love everything about it except the engine is undersized for the weight of the car (and the car is heavy because the steel in the frame is about 2mm thicker than Toyota or Honda)

With your wife's driving record - I would definitely go with the Mazda 3 2.0 engine. Thicker steel in the frame construction and 6 airbags. Looks really nice too. Storage space is ample, and with back seats folded down, I was able to put in lots of long boxes from Ikea with no problem at all.

Go with the Mazda 3.

I don't comment on her driving.. its good normally.. she just fell asleep for some reason. Me next to her.. not fun.

Anyway somtumlion can you compare the car size wise with the honda jazz (i mean the back of it)

Maz 3 is a great car...especially in the 2.0 engine/trim level. Loads of room inside (and I'm a little big) and if you get the hatchback version, very big loading space as well. I believe all the 2.0 models come standard with a sun/moon roof, which I wouldn't pay extra for but if it's standard (I know, included in the price already) it's a nice perk.

Check the New Focus...I saw it last weekend,looks great IMO and 170 HP !...+ a lot new features like Active Park Assist,Active City Stop,Bi-XenonHID,17" rims...

How long is the delivery time for the new focus? I'd be waiting for a diesel version though...great car!

Isn't it heavy on the fuel?

Not great - around 11 kpl most days. But I didnt' buy it for economy. I bought it to be safe with all the terrible drivers around LOS lol.

Thats what I thought. I like the safety. I get between 9-12km/l from the Pajero. Would like the second car to be a bit more economical.

I was at the Ford VIP factory tour for new Focus buyers last Saturday and I saw a diesel new Focus in the car park. They haven't started mass producing them yet so it was obviously a pre production test car. Test cars arrive at the dealers in the next 1-2 weeks. Those people like myself that ordered at the Bangkok motor show can expect deliveries in the 1st week in August for the 2000 cc model. A 1.6 Focus will be launched soon as well for those on a budget..

I was at the Ford VIP factory tour for new Focus buyers last Saturday and I saw a diesel new Focus in the car park. They haven't started mass producing them yet so it was obviously a pre production test car. Test cars arrive at the dealers in the next 1-2 weeks. Those people like myself that ordered at the Bangkok motor show can expect deliveries in the 1st week in August for the 2000 cc model. A 1.6 Focus will be launched soon as well for those on a budget..

No ecoboost motor on the horizon? Such a shame if not...more power and more economy...even from a 1.6.

Not great - around 11 kpl most days. But I didnt' buy it for economy. I bought it to be safe with all the terrible drivers around LOS lol.

Thats what I thought. I like the safety. I get between 9-12km/l from the Pajero. Would like the second car to be a bit more economical.

What is 11 kilometres per litre? In miles per gallon? Thank you for your answer.

What is 11 kilometres per litre? In miles per gallon? Thank you for your answer.

...around 25mpg(US)...

And if you're interested in the hardiness and longevity aspects, I've taken my Mazda3 2.0 litre all over the place, including the worst of country tracks as well as motorways, at every speed, etc etc - and now after 6 years and 130,000km it runs sweetly still. Changed tyres a couple of times & a 30 baht bulb. (I would have thought my car matched the Civic rather than the Jazz; but maybe I'm wrong or biassed.)

And if you're interested in the hardiness and longevity aspects, I've taken my Mazda3 2.0 litre all over the place, including the worst of country tracks as well as motorways, at every speed, etc etc - and now after 6 years and 130,000km it runs sweetly still. Changed tyres a couple of times & a 30 baht bulb. (I would have thought my car matched the Civic rather than the Jazz; but maybe I'm wrong or biassed.)

I was more interested in the space of the hatchback and milage then anything else. I know its a better kind of car. Right now im tinking of a ford focus. But first my jazz needs to be declared a total loss.

Just love the carriage capacity of the jazz, and its fuel economy. But no way in hell am i waiting 5 months for a new one.

If the boot space is a priority then considering the Mazda 3 is half a metre longer than the Jazz, plus a lot more expensive, then you'll be disappointed. I checked the sizes when comparing a Yaris and a Mazda 3 and with the back seat in the same place (checked by sitting in the back, not with a tape measure when seat thickness, etc, all come in to play) I was surprised that the Mazda 3 luggage capacity was certainly no bigger and probably smaller.

Even the official figures put the Mazda at 17cf and the Yaris at 15.6, with the Jazz at 20 - quite impressive for the Jazz, but achieved in the main by not having a spare wheel. Rather than check "book sizes" you'd be much better off trying out the cars yourself, ideally renting one of each for a day for a decent test.

Buddha that's less than my Fortuner and it's petrol it must cost a fortune to run. Not to mention it's half the size.

Mazda 3 2.0 litre is a great car, reliable. Especially in the north where there are hilly windy roads having the extra bit of grunt over the 1.6 is worth it. Once on the open road had a truck pull straight in front of me at 140, the anti lock brakes stopped beautifully. The Thais can ignore a good car if it doesn't carry a Toyota badge.

Mazda 3 2.0 litre is a great car, reliable. Especially in the north where there are hilly windy roads having the extra bit of grunt over the 1.6 is worth it. Once on the open road had a truck pull straight in front of me at 140, the anti lock brakes stopped beautifully. The Thais can ignore a good car if it doesn't carry a Toyota badge.

I live in Chiangmai and over the years I've seen the number of Mazda3s on the road here go up in leaps and bounds. It's ubiquitous nowadays in Chiangmai.