Samlor

sucher

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When? My sidecar is normally in Kata, but I could get it to Rawai.

I thought you sold that a while ago Steve.

No, of course not, no vehicle as practicle here as a sidecar.

It does have a gate that opens at the back (if it still works, we normally don't open it so there will probably be some layers of paint over it).

Steven, I was wondering about having a bike (Honda Wave) fitted as a sidecar any idear about the cost and where to do it?

I did mine in 2002, so really no idea. But: quite often on the side of the road you'll see the sidecars, new, for sale. So this really should not be too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Samlors, a part of the Phuket scenery.

Chuntering along at 30 km/hour with a two kilometre tail of cars behind it trying to pass.

That same samlor having to go around another samlor going the wrong way which is going around a car parked in the road.

I don't understand the hatred against samlors!

The roads here are either pretty wide or, if narrow, pretty quiet - making it easy to overtake.

Yes, I've been stuck behind a samlor for a minute or two on a narrow, windy road (I won't overtake until I can see ahead) - but its rare and I can't see any reason to get seriously annoyed.

The roads here are either pretty wide or, if narrow, pretty quiet - making it easy to overtake.

Yes, I've been stuck behind a samlor for a minute or two on a narrow, windy road (I won't overtake until I can see ahead) - but its rare and I can't see any reason to get seriously annoyed.

Shoooosh. Were complaining here.

Hatred is warranted when farangs take them on. It's only tolerated by police because they understand that the usual owners are too poor to afford another mode of transport. Can't say that farangs fall into that category. It's either because they are oblivious and think they are "doing" thailand or cheapskate "front" business owners, usually in the dive industry.

• Like 1

The reason I hate them is that 9/10 of them, the rear light on the side-car doesn't work. At night on an ill-lit road, they can be mistaken for motorbikes.

On many of them, the rear light of the motorbike doesn't work either and as they travel slower than a normal motorbike, there is a real danger of hitting them from behind.

• Like 1

The reason I hate them is that 9/10 of them, the rear light on the side-car doesn't work. At night on an ill-lit road, they can be mistaken for motorbikes.

On many of them, the rear light of the motorbike doesn't work either and as they travel slower than a normal motorbike, there is a real danger of hitting them from behind.

An Australian model was killed by riding into the rear of one parked on Patak rd, Chalong, a few months ago.

Admittedly she may have also contributed to the accident.

Hatred is warranted when farangs take them on. It's only tolerated by police because they understand that the usual owners are too poor to afford another mode of transport. Can't say that farangs fall into that category. It's either because they are oblivious and think they are "doing" thailand or cheapskate "front" business owners, usually in the dive industry.

Nothing to do with cheapskate, simply practical. The car is difficult to park, the sidecar I can always park anywhere and can transport lots of things. Much quicker, much more convenient than a car. So depending on things to transport, destination, weather, etc. I either take motorbike, sidecar or car. Plus not all staff have a car license, but can drive sidecar without problems.

Err, no. I have a samlor 'cos I wouldn't dare drive a car here.

Admittedly, I don't use it often as I don't enjoy it (preferring my scooter), but its ideal for picking up water and my dogs love it.

You're missing the point.

1) samlors are slow, but still require 100% concentration as you haven't a 'box' around to provide protection and

1) the chances of killing someone in a samlaw are pretty remote.

I've a tendency to 'daydream', therefore a car doesn't work for me as there's a good chance I could kill someone - unlike driving a scooter or samlor where I'm too vulnerable to daydream!

The thought of killing someone as a result of my negligence is, to me, far worse than the thought of being killed by someone else's negligence.

Around Rawai if I'm driving a car they are rather annoying. The roads are narrow and winding and it's hard to pass. On my motorbike there are a smaller annoyance as I can easily pass them. I guess they don't annoy you, as you drive one and you don't drive a car...

I hardly get held up by them while driving the car.

You're missing the point.

1) samlors are slow, but still require 100% concentration as you haven't a 'box' around to provide protection and

1) the chances of killing someone in a samlaw are pretty remote.

I've a tendency to 'daydream', therefore a car doesn't work for me as there's a good chance I could kill someone - unlike driving a scooter or samlor where I'm too vulnerable to daydream!

The thought of killing someone as a result of my negligence is, to me, far worse than the thought of being killed by someone else's negligence.

Your bad at driving a car so you drive a samlor? makes sense

• Like 1

What's really annoying ( and common) is when they ride the wrong way and force traffic going the right direction to move out of their way into oncoming traffic. That's not only annoying, it's downright dangerous and shows how lazy and negligent these samlor riders/drivers/vendors/transporters really are. Seriously these "in a hurry to go slow" samlors can't wait for the road to clear to cross the road and be semi law abiding. I wonder how many have insurance to cover accidents that they cause that we read about.

• Like 2