Considering 6 Months In Ubon Ratchathani

n00b

I am going to stay six months in Thailand and I am considering Ubon Ratchathani city. My girlfriend is from the province and I think staying in Ubon city could be a good compromise for us. I might have preferred staying somewhere closer to the ocean but there is the budget to consider and that my girlfriend might like to stay somewhere closer to her family since we are talking about 6 months.

I have found that language schools are available so I just need to find out how it is to live in Ubon Ratchathani. I regret not checking the city out properly last time I was there. Was just by for some hours after visiting her parents, ate at Pizza Company (horrible and overpriced) and went to the cinema (original soundtrack, sofas, awesome!) before taking the bus to Bangkok.

My budget is about 42-45k a month now and I would like to keep the spending on rent, power and internet under 15k. Leaving less than 30k for other things.

1: Is the cost of living really lower than Bangkok or the coastal cities like Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc?

2: Are there any condos (preferably with a pool in the complex) available in town or do I have to rent a town house? In which case, how much security could I expect?

3: Are the meter taxis usually available? I took a taxi there once and had to wait 30 minutes after calling their number.

4: Any songthaews driving around charging 10 baht for a seat like in Pattaya?

5: How is the night life? I like nightclubs/discos sometimes and pubs other times, depending on mood.

6: Are the mosquitoes as plentiful at night as in the villages nearby?

7: Is it safe to buy seafood in supermarkets there (considering how far inland)?

I'm sure I have more questions but these will do for now wink.png

1: Is the cost of living really lower than Bangkok or the coastal cities like Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc?

Yes

2: Are there any condos (preferably with a pool in the complex) available in town or do I have to rent a town house? In which case, how much security could I expect?

No, and you will be lucky to find good /cheap rental.

3: Are the meter taxis usually available? I took a taxi there once and had to wait 30 minutes after calling their number.

Plenty of taxis available, but sometimes not coming from just around the corner.....

Songthaews are cheap city buses, and have numbered routes.........

5: How is the night life? I like nightclubs/discos sometimes and pubs other times, depending on mood.

4 (5) farang watering holes, several Thai discos, a few good restaurants with live music, and plenty other options in between............

Not that much of a problem in the city, but still there.......

7: Is it safe to buy seafood in supermarkets there (considering how far inland)?

Yes!

Good Luck - and maybe see you around one day biggrin.png

Edited by bergen

Yes, it is much cheaper.

No condos, but condoms at all 7 eleven stores.

There're new taxis with a meter, save their number and they'll pick you up.

Songtaews cover all routes through Ubon, cheaper than in Pattaya. 10 baht brings you from one end to the other.

​Many nightclubs/ massag parlous, discos, pubs with foreigners inside, Morlam dance and sing in nearby villages, but also in town.

Mosquitoes here are not as thirsty as in villages. Here's more food for them.

Seafood comes by plane and is sometimes fresher than in a restaurant in Pattaya.

No need to go to Pizza company, here's an Italian with a first class restaurant Google: Spago's.

Get appetite on the streets, supermarkets, but 'eat' at home. There're more pretty girls in Ubon, than mosquitoes in your wife's village.

Wouldn't be nice to lose a body part, even if Sapphasit seems to be a good hospital for surgeries. wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Looks like you're planning to learn Thai, enjoy the nightlife (with your wife?), ride in Songtaews, having e security guy watching you when you come home drunk etc...

I hope the parents of your misses need a new Kubota, two buffaloes, two scooters and there might be a higher bill from the hospital to pay.

Good luck in Ubon!

Yes

Thanks wink.png

Though these two points does not make sense together. Cheaper cost of living from one place to another within one country is generally based on property prices, which again influence the price of renting. Like in Norway, Oslo has a higher cost of living than the rest of the country because of property prices and therefore a one bedroom in the middle of the city can cost almost an average monthly salary to rent where in another city it might still be affordable on an average salary.

Other things usually have similar pricing from different cities in a country. Going out might be cheaper in some places, but how much of a % of your budget is spent on that? You will still get the beer in the supermarket for the same price all over the country, along with food and other purchases made in stores.

So if renting in Ubon is no cheaper than Bangkok, what is?

I might just go for Bangkok in the end after all. If I can't find a place to rent in Ubon I don't see how I could stay there. I tried searching for condos there online but I couldn't find anything.

1: Food and utilities are the same. Rent is cheaper if you were to compare a similar house in a similar location. Other than those big items in your budget I think the fact that you don't have to travel far or for long lengths of time in Ubon saves money. Taxis, BTS and the distance adds up quick in BKK.

2: No condos yet but they are building a small one just off Chayangkhun not far from Lotus. I haven't seen any construction on site for awhile though. Can probably find a townhouse but even those are being gobbled up fast. Easier to find then a home though.

3: Not always but I can usually get one within 15 minutes now. Loads of them in town now.

4: Tons.

5: No clue.

6: No way

7: Of course

I would struggle in rural villages full time but Ubon is one of the bigger Isan cities with enough western comforts when desired but doesn't feel huge like BKK. Also an hour flight from Chiang Mai, Phuket and BKK is very convenient.

The thing that is inexpensive in most third world countries, like Thailand, is the wage paid to a person. Most everything else not grown or mined in Thailand will be priced in New York, Chicago and London. Vehicles, fuel, electronics, clothing and familiar food are all much more expensive in any Thai province than they will cost where you come from.

Rent will be cheaper in Ubon City (if you could find a place; which you won't) than Central Bangkok but about the same as in Nonthaburi, Bang Na or Min Buri (etc).

45K baht ain't gonna get you far anywhere in Thailand.

Does your gal have a job? Even 10K baht per month (her wage) would help y'all.

Yes

Thanks wink.png

Though these two points does not make sense together. Cheaper cost of living from one place to another within one country is generally based on property prices, which again influence the price of renting. Like in Norway, Oslo has a higher cost of living than the rest of the country because of property prices and therefore a one bedroom in the middle of the city can cost almost an average monthly salary to rent where in another city it might still be affordable on an average salary.

Other things usually have similar pricing from different cities in a country. Going out might be cheaper in some places, but how much of a % of your budget is spent on that? You will still get the beer in the supermarket for the same price all over the country, along with food and other purchases made in stores.

I might just go for Bangkok in the end after all. If I can't find a place to rent in Ubon I don't see how I could stay there. I tried searching for condos there online but I couldn't find anything.

Didn't you get it? There're no condos in Ubon.

Yes

Thanks wink.png

Didn't you get it? There're no condos in Ubon.

I agree. The guy just doesn't get it. No condos in Ubon. Only one room apartments and one room dormitory rooms to rent at about 3,000 - 4,000 baht/room. There are some very attractive one room stand-alone bungalows to rent monthly at similar prices. And I have been informed that there are more spacious apartments in the city with a kitchen for about 9,000 baht/month. None with swimming pools. Renting a small house is the better option but most houses are unfurnished. Sometimes you can make arrangements with a house owner to "mind" their house while they are overseas. Ubon overall is far cheaper than central Bangkok but on par with out lying districts of Bangkok. However, living in Ubon is far more enjoyable than Bangkok with the massive traffic jams.

• Like 1

There is supposed to be a small condo going up but they've ended construction for at least 6 months now. I specifically asked if it was apartments or townhouses and the sales lady said its a condo. I drove by it today.

I disagree that you can't find a home rental. They are there but it requires lots of word of mouth and asking around. Might get lucky driving around.

post-103222-134227946915_thumb.jpg

post-103222-134227949252_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Renting a fully serviced apartment (one room) in Ubon is fairly expensive. 15,000 baht/month.

Two well kept apartments are the Pen Ta Hug ( www.facebook.com/pentahugubon) and Nartsiri residence (www.nartsiriubon,com).

Stand alone bungalows can be found at http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/ubon_ratchathani/dusita_parkview_hotel.html?asq=i4L7ZdxxYBegKCXkki3m8MTr%2bc1zjvkPnu9IhpFQI34%3d

One can negotiate a good monthly price at the Pathumrat Hotel. It has a swimming pool and is in a good location. I expect a price of between 15,00o-20,000 baht/month http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/pathumrat-ubonratchathani.en-gb.html?aid=306395;label=ubon-ratchathani-qlrO8Edel%2A63z3pQxr0rNAS8168145989%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap110%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t2%3Aneg;sid=a55ef4a4d3458b7160f01d5c6eea0c93;dcid=1;srfid=1021b35d0ad6d1db58c254e219b1bdcfX4

Out of town is a resort with a swimming pool http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/aunruen-residence-restaurant.en-gb.html?aid=306395;label=ubon-ratchathani-qlrO8Edel%2A63z3pQxr0rNAS8168145989%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap110%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t2%3Aneg;sid=a55ef4a4d3458b7160f01d5c6eea0c93;dcid=1;srfid=1021b35d0ad6d1db58c254e219b1bdcfX1

But all over Ubon there are lots of apartments with one room ranging from 3000 to 5000 baht/month. But not serviced and one must bring ones own linen etc.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't give up so easy! Ubon is a great place. They have apartments there. 45k is more than enough to get by comfortably in Ubon. It's much cheaper there compared to Bangkok.

I don't live in Ubon, however:

You will be able to find somewhere nice to stay in Ubon which is affordable

With 40k+ per month you'll be fine, that goes a long way in Isaan.

Although of course, if you want to live in the best apartment buildings, then you'll probably pay twice the rent of the other apartment buildings, for only a slight increase in quality/location.

If you're going to be staying in Ubon for 6 months, you probably want to look into buying or renting a motorbike too. This will also open up where you're able to stay, since you can drive anywhere around town. You can probably buy a decent bike for driving around town etc, for 25-30k, or half that if you're reasonably familiar with bikes already (and thus don't mind an older bike).

Your best bet, is to ask your gf to scope out a few places for you in Ubon, and then when you get there to initially stay in a hotel for a few days, while she takes you around the various different apartments/houses which she has picked out for you.

You also could look into staying in the countryside with her family. As getting to know her family is really important if you're going to have an enduring relationship, and your gf would probably enjoy living with her family more than simply staying in the same province as them. You could then go to Ubon City, or to other provinces even, on the weekends etc, for a bit of something different (Although of course this would make learning Thai at a language school very difficult, so might not be the best option unless you can easily travel into town. As learning Thai is a big advantage for living in Thailand long term)