Bt133,400 Fine Upheld Over Illegal VCD Sales In Bangkok

webfact

He must have been selling pirated Thai movies

You hit the nail on the head; in addition; this is an area tourists generally do not go. This guy was making pennies.

Thailand, you should be embarrassed!! Shame on you!!

Thais should demand that their joke of a police force go and raid Pantip plaza as well as every vendor on Sukumvit and Silom selling pirated goods.

Actually funny enough in a non tourist areas english dvd's and music is sold for 20 baht. only in tourist zones its 100

Really? How can there be any profit what-so-ever if they are selling for 20 baht each?

He must have been selling pirated Thai movies

You hit the nail on the head; in addition; this is an area tourists generally do not go. This guy was making pennies.

Thailand, you should be embarrassed!! Shame on you!!

Thais should demand that their joke of a police force go and raid Pantip plaza as well as every vendor on Sukumvit and Silom selling pirated goods.

Actually funny enough in a non tourist areas english dvd's and music is sold for 20 baht. only in tourist zones its 100

Really? How can there be any profit what-so-ever if they are selling for 20 baht each?

How much do you think it costs to burn a cd? If you have the file you can burn as many as you want for the price of a blank cd. When bought in bulk they cost pennies.

How much do you think it costs to burn a cd? If you have the file you can burn as many as you want for the price of a blank cd. When bought in bulk they cost pennies.

I assume you're talking USD when you say pennies.

The first result that pops up in Google for me says you can get CD-Rs for 14 cents a piece if you buy 9000 discs. DVDs are 19 cents if you buy 9000 of them.

14 cents * .31 baht per cent = 4.5 baht just to buy a blank disk. The guy needs a computer with a disc writer and electricity to power the computer. Let's assume the trash collector found a free computer (totally possible) and electricity is not that expensive to burn a disk, so lets say it's 5 baht for each burned disk. A few baht for plastic packaging and a marker to write the name of the album, and lets say we're at 6 baht for each disk.

So the guy is looking at 14 baht a piece for profit. 14 baht! He would need to sell 21 discs a day just to get to the minimum wage of 300 baht per day. I guess if he can sell 6 discs then he can buy some curry and rice for dinner.

It behoves everyone to remember that selling pirated anything is part of the tourist dollars that are brounght in. The other thing of course is many Thails make such a meger salary it would be barred from buying the real thing.

And its not just Thailand..Vietnam, Philippines, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia all sell pirated goods.

Trying to stop the pirated trade is like trying to stop the earth from revolving around the sun.

If any expats visit they own countries once in a while we all know that CDs and VCDs sell for a large amount.

Even when a friend of ours buys the real mcoy we burn copies....

I assume you're talking USD when you say pennies.

The first result that pops up in Google for me says you can get CD-Rs for 14 cents a piece if you buy 9000 discs. DVDs are 19 cents if you buy 9000 of them.

14 cents * .31 baht per cent = 4.5 baht just to buy a blank disk. The guy needs a computer with a disc writer and electricity to power the computer. Let's assume the trash collector found a free computer (totally possible) and electricity is not that expensive to burn a disk, so lets say it's 5 baht for each burned disk. A few baht for plastic packaging and a marker to write the name of the album, and lets say we're at 6 baht for each disk.

So the guy is looking at 14 baht a piece for profit. 14 baht! He would need to sell 21 discs a day just to get to the minimum wage of 300 baht per day. I guess if he can sell 6 discs then he can buy some curry and rice for dinner.

Yea, that's peanuts. Is he really selling them for 20 baht?

It seems to me that this is a case where the little guys are used as a means to intimidate all those who dare to sell counterfeit goods without paying the big guys.

This is certainly not about copyright infringement, the fine is ridiculous This is about intimidation.

What a shame. A garbage collector.....

What about all the pirated DVDs in Bangkok and Pattaya?

All the computer shops and pirated programs. Most schools here are using pirated software. The MoE and other institutions...........

Those are not just movies. wai.gif

So, I guess the VCD era is not over yet in Thailand.

Do you folks go for DVD's or VCD's ? By the way, of course, I know that you are all law-abiding guys and don't go for pirated stuff smile.png

BluRay. 720p is as low as I will go!

So, I guess the VCD era is not over yet in Thailand.

Do you folks go for DVD's or VCD's ? By the way, of course, I know that you are all law-abiding guys and don't go for pirated stuff smile.png

BluRay. 720p is as low as I will go!

:)