Cheap Pool Cleaners.

h7eds

If you want your pool cleaned on the cheap, do it yourself!

It's not as hard as it seems, you can buy the chemicals and test kit for about 3,000 baht, enough to last about 1 year with your pool size. If you don't have the telescopic pole, flexible hose and vacuum head etc. these will set you back about 6,000 baht.

The cost for someone to clean your pool would be about 1,500 to 2,000 baht per month so you will save about 9 to 15,000 baht in the first year. Total time to keep your pool clean - 2 hours per week max.

Job done!!

• Like 1

Hello

thanks for your info, but i can easily clean my own pool ...as for my thai wife ??? do i need to explain to you how difficult this would be. i work abroad so i need to employ someone to handle this while i,m away.

currently getting charged 2,000 bht, for about 10 mins work each visit, twice aweek.

som nom na.

Hello

thanks for your info, but i can easily clean my own pool ...as for my thai wife ??? do i need to explain to you how difficult this would be. i work abroad so i need to employ someone to handle this while i,m away.

currently getting charged 2,000 bht, for about 10 mins work each visit, twice aweek.

som nom na.

You wife could probably handle the job as good as some of the pool cleaners I had to put up with before I decided to do it myself. I found myself having to train a new cleaner every few weeks whilst still paying for the job to be done.

2000 baht is not a prohibitive charge if the pool is kept in good order. It's better than paying less and finding every time you want to use your pool there's a thick layer of green slime over it!! The choice ius yours!

We have Sam Sam the pool man, he comes three times per week and charges 1500 baht, he speaks English and is very good, he's our 3rd man in three years and by far the best. I also work abroad so cleaning the pool oneself is out of ze question!!

Let me know if you want la chaps numbre.

Bigjimmy

We have Sam Sam the pool man, he comes three times per week and charges 1500 baht, he speaks English and is very good, he's our 3rd man in three years and by far the best. I also work abroad so cleaning the pool oneself is out of ze question!!

Let me know if you want la chaps numbre.

Bigjimmy

WOW now that is cheap for someone who works abroad for sure and 3 times per week is great.

• Like 1

Just sacked our pool man and heard similar tales of woe from others who have had our experiences. We are going to do it ourselves from now on!

We have been Charged for chemicals that have not been used on our pool.

The pool man never ever checked or changed the sand in the filter despite the pool consuming large quantities of Chlorine and soda ash ( A symptom of old sand in the filter) .

He never cleaned the pool run away/return gutters or checked the debris filter on the pump.

In the last three months the pool has only been clear and sparkling for maybe two days and cloudy and coloured the rest of the time and even on those two days when we checked the water we found that the water did not have any chlorine in it and the PH was very weak so all in all a very bad experience .

average time on the job for the ex pool man was ten minutes per visit, so;

10 x 3 x 4 = 120 minutes at 1500 Baht or 750 Baht per hour

Now if the pool, was Ok and we had no need to look at this scenario too closely we would not have any complaint but under scrutiny it seems that the pool man in our case was under the impression that this stupid Farang would continue to keep biting the bullet and carry on paying for a service that was abysmal to say the least and my advice to anyone on here who is below the age of 75 would be to do the job yourselves it is easy enough to get all the knowledge from the internet and when you have gone through the learning curve only takes a couple of house a week for a medium sized pool

The pool man never ever checked or changed the sand in the filter despite the pool consuming large quantities of Chlorine and soda ash ( A symptom of old sand in the filter) .

That is a symptom of low total alkalinity not old sand. Using lots of chlorine is usually a factor of the person using the scoop (if 1 is good, 2 is better especially if you are selling the chlorine too), but in reality is is a factor of use, water temperature and organic input into the pool.

Loads of soda ash use is due to a low Ph, if that is what the pool really needs. From my experience if the pool needs soda ash, it also needs bi-carb to increase the total alkalinity. If the TA is low the Ph will bounce around and be hard to control.

Sand that needs changing or more likely cleaning is indicated by cloudy water as the filter is not removing the smaller particles. Cloudiness is also a symptom of inadequate filtration, not running the filter long enough every day.

That is a symptom of low total alkalinity not old sand. Using lots of chlorine is usually a factor of the person using the scoop (if 1 is good, 2 is better especially if you are selling the chlorine too), but in reality is is a factor of use, water temperature and organic input into the pool.

Loads of soda ash use is due to a low Ph, if that is what the pool really needs. From my experience if the pool needs soda ash, it also needs bi-carb to increase the total alkalinity. If the TA is low the Ph will bounce around and be hard to control.

Sand that needs changing or more likely cleaning is indicated by cloudy water as the filter is not removing the smaller particles. Cloudiness is also a symptom of inadequate filtration, not running the filter long enough every day.

Thanks for the info Chang_Paarp

I stand corrected by your knowledge of the system but only having the internet to find out what has been going on with our pool I arrived at the conclusions I did from the various videos and general advice available there,

Having said that since I changed the sand, which looked as though it hadn't been changed in the ten years that the house and pool was built, using the blue stuff (Still don't know what it is) to get rid of any Algae/bacteria and five gallons of a liquid that only my Mrs knows the name of but for identification purposes was emitting some kind of steam when I undid the lid, I watched and waited.

After a couple of days I tested the water which showed no Chlorine and low PH then added Chlorine and soda ash the pool is now as clear and clean as I have ever seen it, showing the correct level of Chlorine but still showing a low level of PH.

Tonight I added some more Soda ash but would be interested to know where I can get the Bi Carb and what quantities I would need to bring the low PH to normal levels, the pool is 10 M x 5M, deep end 5ft to about 3 ft

Once again thanks for your valuable information

Look here for more information;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/108-swimming-pool-forum/

Chlorine dissipates from the water naturally due to several things including UV light. It is a little like soap you need to keep on using it to prevent the smell. Adding chlorine alters the Ph of the water, depending on the particular version of chlorine the Ph will go up or down.

Thanks for your help Chang_parap

Well our pool is now looking the best that is has looked, clear, sparkling, we are very pleased that we went down the route of doing it ourselves and without spending a lot of time as well,.

Chlorine level seems to be spot on.

PH is very low and after putting quite a bit of soda ash in the PH value does not rise at all.

Checked this morning and the same again but I read on the internet that I should put some Bi Carbonated soda in and this will bring the PH level up.

Perhaps you could advise on what amounts i should be putting in and many thanks once again for your input

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, slightly diffrent question:

Does your pool cleaner bring his own hose and vacuum head or do you provide them ?

I find if I provide them, they don't last very long ... :(

Thanks,

luudee