Loy Krathong In Chiang Rai ...

David48

Loy Krathong in Chiang Rai ...

Many questions and I know it's months away but I have to plan now.

I've been to Chiang Mai many time and really enjoyed their celebration.

How does it compare to Chiang Mai?

Key dates to be in Chiang Rai?

Please take a 'broad brush' approach to this question.

If someone else has written about this event recently ... please point me in that direction.

Most locals go to the river near the Dusit and Rimkok hotels. Can't miss it. Loy Krathong here in Chiang Rai is geared more for locals than tourists - so perhaps it is still "authentic". Key dates in Chiang Rai? One to two nights before the full moon of November. There is usually a float parade downtown usually held late afternoon - along Thanalai Road.

• Like 1

If cost is not an issue I would guess the Meridien is a lovely place for Loy Krathong. Our family and friends often find our quiet backyard pond an inviting place to float a krathong or launch a lantern or two into the sky. I guess it all depends on whether you like crowds or not.smile.png

I spent 2 nights down by the river last year at Loy Katong, great atmosphere and a huge number of people, Live music on a big stage, plenty of food stalls and sideshows althougth it did get a bit cold later on in the night but still had a great time, cant wait for this year.

Andy

• Like 2

I spent 2 nights down by the river last year at Loy Katong, great atmosphere and a huge number of people, Live music on a big stage, plenty of food stalls and sideshows althougth it did get a bit cold later on in the night but still had a great time, cant wait for this year.

Andy

Where exactly were you? One of the bridges, hotels or Chiang Rai Beach? That might help the OP.

Riverside hotels are as follows: Dusit Island Resort Hotel, Rimkok Resort Hotel, The Legend, Imperial River House, Le Meridien. Perhaps, the hotel with a view to the most festive of places would be the Rim Kok Resort Hotel.

• Like 1