Accommodations Suggestions

manchesterlalala

Dear Pattaya folk,

I have been living on Phuket on and off for about four years and am planning on making the move to Pattaya soon – either early next month or the start of September.

I have a list of preferences in terms of where I want to stay and I cannot seem to find anything on the web that matches what I'm after – which is disappointing considering I can find these places in Phuket. Anyway, I am going to give you a list of things that I need and I am hoping that maybe if you know of a place that matches these criteria you could suggest one to me:

A one-bedroom place (could be a studio, apartment, condo, house or bungalow; not bothered really)

Regular cleaning with fresh towel and bed linen change

Secure complex (either with guard or CCTV)

Would prefer to have no deposit (a small deposit I can tolerate, but not a month's worth of rent)

Rolling monthly arrangement with no fixed-term contract (i.e. my ability to leave at the end of any given month is crucial to me)

15,000–20,000 THB per month

No separate electricity or water bills, taxes, fees etc. (these should all be included in the price)

Other stuff like swimming pools and internet I'm not that bothered about. I'm also flexible in terms of the location, although I'd prefer it not to be too far from the centre of the action.

Is what I have listed a little over-expectant given the price range? Certainly after a few hours Googling I'm lead to believe this stuff doesn't exist in Pattaya – most websites have big red notices saying ’12-month rental only’ or ‘electricity 7 baht per metre’. I have all these requirements met and more here in Phuket for 20,000 THB, right next to the beach, too. If you guys think this is unrealistic for Pattaya then I shall have to reconsider moving.

I would be grateful for any thoughtful recommendations.

manc

P.S. just to give you an idea of where I've been staying in Phuket for this kind of money and with the above conditions....

http://www.palm-vill...com/ (Oriental Thai style house)

http://www.baansuanp...oom_rate.html (Type B)

Thanks, mate.

Unfortunately, none of the rooms look anywhere near comparable to the quality I have here and the prices – in low season! – are much higher than what I'm paying here in Phuket.

Think I'll be staying put for a while. I have been constantly told by all and sundrie here that Phuket is by far and away the most expensive part of Thailand in all respects, especially accommodation. Regrettably, even just a few days of searching for accommodation has borne out the realisation that Pattaya is just as expensive as Phuket, and very possibly even more so.

Oh well! Here's hoping other posters can prove me wrong...

Your requirements are very high for the price, I am surprised you found a place in Phuket like that. If you are happy in Phuket and not so motivated to relocate to Pattaya I agree that you should stay where you are. I have been to Phuket before and even though I found it very expensive it is a lot nicer then Pattaya, you will probably be disappointed if you have never been to Pattaya before. The best way to look for accommodation in Pattaya is to be here as a lot of the places don't advertise on the internet.

Interesting Phuket links you provided. They look nice enough and the smaller rooms were indeed in the price range you quoted, but they do seem to be out in the sticks and away from the beach, so perhaps it isn't completely fair to compare that with something "not too far from the centre of the action" in Pattaya which is a big city these days. Also I'm curious as to how anyone living in one of those Phuket places would get around? Rented motorbike? Car? Public transport is an expensive nightmare in Phuket compared to here.

Anyway, if you really want to be "near the action" in Pattaya then you will need to be in Central Pattaya, so you are ruling out all the places in Jomtien, Pratumnak, Wong Amat, Naklua or East Pattaya that might be comparable to those Phuket places. In Central Pattaya you will find serviced apartments up around the 3rd Rd/South Rd area, some of which are quite nice and fair value. I note that some of the places you mention in Phuket only have air-con in the bedroom; this is something that most people would not accept in downtown Pattaya which is pretty built-up. So that's probably why electricity is usually an extra here, as usage may vary from between 1000B/month and 5000B/month depending on how cool people want to be.

Maybe you should do a Google search for "pattaya serviced apartment" and this should bring up quite few sites that may be of interest. The areas around 3rd Rd, South Rd, Soi Buakow might be suitable and plenty of people live there very happily for years on end, but they wont look or feel much like those Phuket places.

Of course if you are prepared to live a little bit away from the action (and many people would consider that to be an advantage) you have to remember that from Naklua direction and Jomtien the public transport (bahtbuses) to Central Pattaya is great and very cheap at just 10B or 20B, depending on how far you need to go. If you can be off the main transport routes (ie you have a bike or car) and dont need a view or proximity to the beach then accommodation prices drop very fast. Like this: http://baanleelaone.blogspot.com/

To give you an example, I pay 10K for a large high floor 65sqm place on the bahtbus route in Jomtien with a great sea view and close to all the local shops and restaurants etc. I have a washing machine for towels and sheets (though there is a laundry downstairs that would do them of course). I do my own cleaning but the girls downstairs will do a full clean for 300B if I want. I pay my own electric and water and I doubt that anyone could spend more than 4K or 5K on that per month, and probably it would only be 1K - 3K. OK, I'm on a one-year contract which wouldn't suit you but you could probably find something similar on a monthly basis though it would cost a fair bit more, depending on your negotiation skills. A deposit would almost always be required.

• Like 1

I know of a place close to the beach; One bedroom, two balconies, seaview, security guard, CCTV (with a Reception stream to each room's TV), private parking, swimming pool, deposit via CC slip, no fixed contract, free WiFi, cleaning and changing of bed linen and towels twice a week included... only the electricity and water is not included. So not suitable for you.

• Like 1

Manchester - I have spent time in HKT and Pattaya and I assure you Pattaya is cheaper all around. I admit I've mostly been in Patong but I rode around alot. Also I can tell you that you probably don't want to live on Soi Baukau - It's a great place but more for tourists and partiers which is fine. Check Jomtien, Naklua, outside 2nd Road between N, Central, and S. Many good places.

The main thing there are more long term expats here. Plenty of tourists obviously. If you are English (and even if not) check out Mickeys British bar in the News Plaza just past the big Central Mall. 35 baht for Chang bottles ! Maybe 40 now, it's outside but about 5 screens .