Thousands Of Protesters Lay Siege To Government House

hm1973

I pulled this from The Nation website. Only a few Thai media organizations reported on this because Thaksin owns the rest!!!! Its a massive story but only a small majority of Thai's will see it because Thaksin's office put a gagging order out to the big channels such as Channel 3, 5, 9, 11 which Thaksin has an interest in. The story was run on The Nation Channel and ITV (Thailand) as well as News 1.

Thousands of people were encamping in front of Government House Friday night to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a major protest reminiscent of the beginning of the downfall of the Suchinda regime in 1992.

Some 3,000 protesters had marched from the Lumpini Park under leadership of media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul and former senator Pratin Santiprapop. Also joining the march were Klanarong Chantik, former head of the National Counter Corruption Commission, and Democrat MP Kalaya Sophonpanich.

When they reached Government House, several hundreds intruded into the compound at around half past midnight, easing past helpless and overwhelmed security forces. Only minor clashes occurred and there were no immediate reports of injuries. They occupied the compound for about 20 minutes before agreeing to retreat and regroup peacefully with the others outside.

The most serious incident in the political standoff between Thaksin and the antigovernment movement was virtually ignored by all free TV stations and all but a couple of radio stations. Some government TV stations reported the incident briefly in their breaking news but did not elaborate on the magnitude of the situation.

As of 2 am, the situation was tense but there was no violence, with protest leaders taking turn in launching verbal attacks on the government from the back of a truck.

The key leaders - Sondhi, Pratin, senator Chirmsak Pinthong, Klanarong and Kalaya - left the rally site when the situation calmed down.

The march began after Sondhi's Thailand Weekly talk show at the Lumpini Park.

The protesters waived the national flags and the yellow flags representing His Majesty during their walk on Rama IV Road. People along side the road waived to the protesters to show their support.

The Manager website reported that some of those encamped at Government House were those who came out of their homes to join the Lumpini protesters.

A hunger protest was also being reportedly planned.

The protest leaders vowed to submit a letter to Thaksin, who was scheduled to come to Government House in the morning for a Children’s Day ceremony, to demand that he “return powers” to HM the King. Basically, this is tantamount to demanding Thaksin’s resignation.

The movement was backed by government critic Prasong Soonsiri, Klanarong Chanthik, former secretarygeneral of the National Counter Corruption Commission, and Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong.

Speaking to the demonstrators in front of Government House, Pratin said Thaksin should resign because he made statement deemed disrespectful to His Majesty when he addressed a group of taxi drivers early this month.

Sondhi said he led the demonstrators to rally in front of Government House because Thaksin said critics were barking at Lumpini Park so he moved to “bark” in front of Government House.

Despite the virtual news blackout by government TV and radios, netizens were aware of the incident and monitored developments through major websites including pantip.com, nationmultimedia.com and manager.co.th. Major political discussion web boards remained active till early in the morning.

The rally brought back the memory of the beginning of the antigovernment protest in 1992 that culminated in the collapse of the military government headed by strongman Suchinda Kraprayoon.

If the protesters refused to leave Government House this weekend, it could provide a catalyst for a bigger and politically explosive rally against Thaksin, whose government is fast losing the faith of the middle class.

Meanwhile, about 300 people from Chiang Mai gathered at the mouth of Soi 69 on Charan Sanitwong Road - the entrance to Thaksin’s residence - to show their support for the PM.

So what do you think guys, do we all take cover and dodge the bullets or will the Pm be able to ride the storm?

Here are some pictures from the nights events.

549000000622803.JPEG

549000000622805.JPEG

549000000622807.JPEG

549000000622808.JPEG

549000000622809.JPEG

549000000622811.JPEG

549000000622812.JPEG

549000000622813.JPEG

549000000622814.JPEG

Amazing. 3,000 demonstrators in a city of 10,000,000. There is usually more than that in line at an ATM machine. :o

with3.000 people it,s still an unusual situation,

if it was widely reported then it could gather pace,

how many more people are disgruntled but do not know of these activities and when they are organized

how many more people are disgruntled but do not know of these activities and when they are organized

Sondhi's activities have been quite well-reported and publicised over the last few weeks. The Friday gatherings are a regular thing. I can't help feeling a bit suspicious of Sondhi's motives and, taking the cynical view, it could be suggested that this latest action is an attempt to put some life back into a campaign which seemed to be losing steam. Bringing hidden facts about the PM's administration to light is certainly worthy of praise and I think it's already doing a decent job of opening people's eyes - but I'm not sure that the wider population, especially outside Bangkok's middle classes, will see the need to provoke conflict.

The rally brought back the memory of the beginning of the antigovernment protest in 1992 that culminated in the collapse of the military government headed by strongman Suchinda Kraprayoon.

That's really quite shoddy reporting. It's not like that situation at all - there is nothing like the huge groundswell of public opinion there was at that time and Suchinda hadn't been elected into office.

What is a responsible media supposed to do? Come on down and help us have a riot? I don't think so.

Of course they shouldn't tell people to come and riot, but you said it, "a responsible media" should be reporting a significant domestic political event in a responsible manner, explaining who is involved, what they are trying to achieve and why.

Edited by Tarragona

Sondhi's activities have been quite well-reported and publicised over the last few weeks. The Friday gatherings are a regular thing. I can't help feeling a bit suspicious of Sondhi's motives and, taking the cynical view, it could be suggested that this latest action is an attempt to put some life back into a campaign which seemed to be losing steam. Bringing hidden facts about the PM's administration to light is certainly worthy of praise and I think it's already doing a decent job of opening people's eyes - but I'm not sure that the wider population, especially outside Bangkok's middle classes, will see the need to provoke conflict.

That's really quite shoddy reporting. It's not like that situation at all - there is nothing like the huge groundswell of public opinion there was at that time and Suchinda hadn't been elected into office.

What is a responsible media supposed to do? Come on down and help us have a riot? I don't think so.

Of course they shouldn't tell people to come and riot, but you said it, "a responsible media" should be reporting a significant domestic political event in a responsible manner, explaining who is involved, what they are trying to achieve and why.

good post tarragona

where did i write anything like riot

why not quote my words and not your interpritation

in no situation would i ever like to see a riot, but if enough people protest about thier government then people take notice.

do not forget taxin is there to serve the people, not the people serve him IMHO

Thaksin quote:

"Its' fine if they just rallied peacefully but they became aggressive and became unreasonable to the effect that they stormed into the compound of Government House. What was this? They called on me to resign, maybe in the next life that I'll answer the call," Thaksin said.

Also,

PM's Secretary-General Prommin Lertsuridej said on Saturday that he had ordered police to take legal action against protesters who intruded the compound of Government House late Friday night.

Prommin said authorities had take photos of those who broke into the gate of Government House and those who incited the protesters to break in.

And then,

About 1,000 policemen were led by Police Commissioner-General Kowit Wattana round up some 40 protesters outside Government House at about 7:50 am Saturday.

Kowit arrived at the protesting scene at about 7:40 when less then 100 protesters remained there.

Police then broke at the rally at about 7:50 am by selectively arresting whom they believed to be leading members.

Some 40 of them were arrested and several suffered head injuries when police tossed them inside mobile bars. Their head hit the bars when being pushed inside.

I suppose it's progress that they weren't stacked like wood in the back of military trucks and allowed to suffocate to death.

Kowit declined to answer reporters' questions as to what charges were used to justify the arrest.

They were transported to be detained at the Bang Khen Police Academy, usually used to detain political crime suspects.

The protesters continued rallying outside Government House after over 10,000 gathered there late Friday night to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Edited by sriracha john

Amazing. 3,000 demonstrators in a city of 10,000,000. There is usually more than that in line at an ATM machine. :o

Absolutly.

Nothing extraordinary about this rally... Even thought we sympathize, it remains an epiphenomena.

Almost one year ago, Thaksin was reelected. Very comfortably.

He still has strong support.

The only thing i think that can put him in a difficult situation... is the economy. That's the key today. And he knows it. That's why he puts all his energy to "energize" the economy (even thought he's cheating with reality).

But on a strict political point of view... nothing new under the sun : you can pile up corruption scandals or whatever... the thai population seems to look somewhere else. I mean they don't care. Or they care but they know that it's unavoidable. It's organic...

Almost one year ago, Thaksin was reelected. Very comfortably.

He still has strong support.

Nothing in politics is stagnant... "Strong support" can change swiftly. His plummeting approval ratings attest to that. :o

_41215742_thailandprotest_ap203b.jpg

Hundreds of riot police greeted the protesters

Government spokesman Surapong Suebvonglee said protesters broke open the gate's padlock and chain before moving into the compound

But protesters told a radio station they did not use violence and police had opened the gate.

Nothing in politics is stagnant... "Strong support" can change swiftly. His plummeting approval ratings attest to that. :o

That is true. Low popularity ratings, though, don't necessarily have to translate to people on the streets trying to bring down the government.

I think Thaksin is safe unless his own MPs begin to jump ship. Or unless the campaigners can come up with one big issue for the public to focus on, rather than the drip-drip of allegations that have been responsible for his current fall from favour.