Mae Sai Border Crossing

L&J

I always get exasperated reading what I'm about to write when I see it in posts by others.

The Burmese border guards will insist on 500 baht and not accept the $10 USD.

Except when they inexplicably do take it as they did on Thursday. clap2.gif Who knows why but

they took a brand new $20 and only said "next time bring baht". Never thought it would

work as it hasn't for us in years smile.png and assuredly it won't work when you try it. sad.png

I went to Mae Sot last week.

People say the same.

3 months previous they said the $10 bill wasn't new enough and asked for baht. I told them sure, $10 is 300thb so here's 300thb, they asked for 50b extra to change it. Yeah, no worries.

Went last week, the guy took the same $10 bill no worries.

Hit and miss, depends on them and how you play it.

It definitely depends on the border guard. I was up there two weeks ago and personally just had the 500thb.... for me its not worth the trip to the exchange and the possible trouble for just ~200thb.

But the Swiss girl I was with went with the old $10USD. The guard was visibly unhappy about it, and did ask for baht instead but eventually accepted the note with a 'next time bring baht'.

Very hit and miss at Mae Sai...

I cant understand why all the moanings about $10 or 500 baht at Mae Sai border....most farangs go there for a visa run...why not pay them the 500 baht and they are happy and you get an easy crossing....you dont do the visa run everyday...besides its just little difference...not a couple of thousands..

• Like 1

I cant understand why all the moanings about $10 or 500 baht at Mae Sai border....most farangs go there for a visa run...why not pay them the 500 baht and they are happy and you get an easy crossing....you dont do the visa run everyday...besides its just little difference...not a couple of thousands..

There are people practicing this every fortnight.

Edited by Semper

Probably because people have morals and integrity.

They seem to be very foreign concepts around these parts though.

Probably because people have morals and integrity.

They seem to be very foreign concepts around these parts though.

Then they should do their visa-run at other border points....there are plenty....if you dont like a particular restaurant dont patronise it...thats simple..

• Like 1

Are they though? Doesn't the Thai side give you problems if you keep doing that?

Are they though? Doesn't the Thai side give you problems if you keep doing that?

No, unless you're out of pages in the passport.

INteresting. Are there people staying years doing this? In which case, why do they bother clamping down on the tourist visas which they get money from and not this, which they don't?

Because they think that most normal people would find a better way to get a 'real visa' to stay longer periods in Thailand. But there are always exceptions of course: Teachers working without work permits, folks who love their 'tirac' so much, but have no money to get a proper 'marriage visa', people who have already made their limit of tourist visas, people who don't get out too much, might use it as a short holiday etc.... smile.png

Edited by Semper

You beatme to it and more pages in a American passport are not cheap.

How long is the visa good for if you only go there for it 30 days?

Some one told me only 15 days.

yeah. They usually ask "shopping?" meaning "are you going into Tachilek of just here for an exit stamp. If not "shopping" you can go right back to Thailand without the temp Myanmar visa (yellow card)

not sure if anyone experience this, not a regular but i experience once that they just took 500 baht and gave me stamp and off i go. no yellow cards no nothing

Maybe that's the difference: maybe its those who are turning round and going straight back that aren't given the $10 option. If you aint going to shop you pay 500B, shoppers get the discounted entry fee. an hour or two ambling round the market could save you 200 Baht!

Maybe that's the difference: maybe its those who are turning round and going straight back that aren't given the $10 option. If you aint going to shop you pay 500B, shoppers get the discounted entry fee. an hour or two ambling round the market could save you 200 Baht!

Nah, I don't think the officers care if you spend money in the market or not. They are more interested in lining their own pockets.

I am impressed with the Burmese giving you a nice little folder complete with picture. I remember when you would leave your passport and

they would give you a little scrap of paper with something written on it. I always felt it would be difficult to explain to my government what

happened to my passport and what that little scrap of paper was all about. Now at least for my $10/500 baht you get something that looks

offiicial.

Of course when we have gone over to the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone the Lao officials take your passport & 200 baht and don't give you

anything. I'm looking for a nice little bungalow over in the GTSEZ since if they "lose" my passport I'll probably be there forever.

You know HD

Another tiime, another place... The US embassy actually glued in additional Pages to my US passport!

Gladiator

PS. I am a mongrel I have many passports... all of them genuine. I was born on a HK junk at Macao, or was it Shiang Hai?......

I am impressed with the Burmese giving you a nice little folder complete with picture. I remember when you would leave your passport and

they would give you a little scrap of paper with something written on it. I always felt it would be difficult to explain to my government what

happened to my passport and what that little scrap of paper was all about. Now at least for my $10/500 baht you get something that looks

offiicial.

Of course when we have gone over to the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone the Lao officials take your passport & 200 baht and don't give you

anything. I'm looking for a nice little bungalow over in the GTSEZ since if they "lose" my passport I'll probably be there forever.

'Golden Triangle Special Economic zone' Is that what they call it? Rather a grandiose title for a market containing cheap Beer Lao Dark and some very dodgy 'whisky' with snakes and scorpions inside!!