Barking Dog -- Owner'S Deaf To Complaints

Hermanhesse

I realize I'm NOT the only one with this problem after doing a web search.

But I could use some advice, here, fellow farang comrades!

Essentially, my neighbor has

a dog that barks very loudly and constantly. He can bark every second

for an entire two hours and it goes through the entire

house. Additionally, the dog is left in the yard by himself and the owner

leaves which just makes the dog more anxious and more likely to bark; and

obviously, it's impossible to put the dog back in the house if she is gone.

I've spoken with the owner twice suggesting she train him and/or buy a simple muzzle

for 300 baht for the dog which can be adjusted so that it is comfortable; and I also left a note for her, too. I've

also talked with the security 2-3 times here and they said they would take care of it.

The last time I spoke with the owner on Thursday she said she would

take care of the problem and apologized. The next day she leaves her dog

out once again while she leaves; and the dog constantly barks for 2-3 hours, so I don't

really feel she's very sincere or trying to resolve this.

Now, the owner is leaving the dog out 3-4 hours a day, at least, making the problem worse.

This morning the dog starts barking constantly again and on most days, at 7:00 a.m.. I ring her doorbell

and she refuses to answer even though her car is there and she is there.

I call Tourist Police and they inform the Hang Dong Police and so far,

it's been about an hour and a half and they have not responded. I called Tourist Police

again and I've been given two numbers for Hang Dong Police that do not work:

053 -441-800 and 053-411-803.

I've also talked to my Thai neighhbor (a different person) asking her to call police for me,

but she refused and said she is afraid to get involved for "fear of retribution." I find

that disturbing.

I would like the situation resolved. I work at home, and if I had a dog that barked

that loudly I would apologize to my neighbor and go retrain my dog and buy

a comfortable muzzle for him. I don't think I'm expecting too much here.

H.H.

I have dogs and they do bark during various times of the day, although they are never left alone.

My neighbors have dogs and they too will bark throughout the day and sometimes during the night.

But this is Thailand, and my neighbors and I can tolerate each other and we compromise with no problems.

Not smart bothering the police with these trivial matters, as they have enough to do and will only regard you as a nuisance. I doubt if they will take your complaint seriously. Also unless a dog is regarded as vicious or a danger to the public, than it is a cruel thing to do by muzzling a dog for long periods at a time.

The correct procedure in these cases, if after not gaining any co-operation from the owner, is to go and have a word with the headman of the village or with someone in the local authority.

The problem is that when farangs try to equate the by-laws of the West with those of Thailand, than I’m sorry to say; they are going to be disappointed.

It`s a whole new ballgame here and if unable to adapt, than you’re not going to be very happy in this environment.

I have had a similar experience with the Thai neighbour's dog barking throughout the night. I spoke with then three times with zero outcome. My Thai wife then spoke with them and the owners took action. Sorry to say that it appears many Thais will completely ignore foreigners requests. So my recommendation is that if you have a Thai friend ask them to speak with the dog owner of your behalf.

By the way I recently spoke with the Amphur about this matter & they said they would have taken action i.e. if the owner did not comply the dog would be removed from the premises. However, they would have firstly needed to speak with the neighbours. As you mentioned some Thais do not like making complaints for fear of revenge. The reason I say this is our neighbours agreed that the dog's barking was very annoying, but declined to speak with the dog owner, nor would they have spoken with the Amphur's representative. Interestingly when I spoke to the Amphur about fear of revenge they said it is common & they would have made it very clear to the dog owner not to take any negative action.

You will get a number of posts saying TIT and if you cannot handle people who have no consideration for their neighbours you are weak, go back to your home country etc etc But as I said above some Thais do find barking dogs very annoying and in some instances, Thai style, they do not talk with the owners, but kill them with poison as has happened in my Moo Ban

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

If you rent the house you're living in, then I would speak to the (presumably) Thai landlord. Invite the landlord over while the dog is barking. Explain the situation as "intolerable" and that you will not be renewing your lease (break the lease) unless the barking is silenced. Maybe the landlord can influence the situation.

Called the Tourist Police? Are you a tourist? It doesn't sound like it.

"I work at home"

So you have a work permit? If not, perhaps you should not be making a stink.

Anyway, I think your are expecting too much and only hope you do not end up with a whole big lot more than you expect.

But with your great Thai language skills and corresponding cultural understanding, you should do better than most.

I have dogs and they do bark during various times of the day, although they are never left alone.

My neighbors have dogs and they too will bark throughout the day and sometimes during the night.

But this is Thailand, and my neighbors and I can tolerate each other and we compromise with no problems.

Dogs bark and putting a muzzle on them for long periods of time is cruel. I would not be too happy in I were in the OP's situation, but that is a part of life. I think that dave2 is right, just put up with it or move. However, daoyai's suggestion about rawhide chews is worth a try.

• Like 2

You might try this. Get a good recording device. When the lady leaves, start the recording, speak the time and date and then record the dog barking. Start from inside or outside of your house and record for an hour or two. Go in and out of the house to show the different levels of "irritation" from the dog barking. Kindly present the recording to the lady and politiely ask again if something can be done. Don't know if you own or rent, but you can always build a 10 ft high wall between you and the neighbor.

We can hear dogs barking thruout the day and night, and they are streets away. Can't get away from them, they are everywhere.

Good Luck.

the dog may be bored or lonely, so (with neighbors ok) a short visit and give the chew, that will keep it busy chewing for a long time.

Probably the best solution!

The neighbor may feel she owe you a little debt of gratitude for all your efforts and that's huge in Thailand.

Cheaper than moving too.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Dustoff used to swear by one of these.... It's not always that easy to move if you own the place you live in!

My sympathies are with you.... really.

David

http://www.gooddeals...rk Control.aspx

I imported the outdoor bark control device from USA. It made no difference at all to the dog's barking; not even one second! It was about 4 metres from the dog

re .

If you rent the house you're living in, then I would speak to the (presumably) Thai landlord. Invite the landlord over while the dog is barking. Explain the situation as "intolerable" and that you will not be renewing your lease (break the lease) unless the barking is silenced. Maybe the landlord can influence the situation.

i tried this ... it didnt work ... so i moved !

i lived in a condo for nearly three years and then someone moved into the house next door

with a dog that barked for up to three hours anytime day or night : ) so i told my landlady who could hear it worse than me coz she was next to it and i was three floors up if it didnt stop or get less id leave ... it didnt .... so i left .

her loss .. the bike repair man next door loss .. the mom and pop booze shop accros the road loss .. the washing lady round the corner loss ... the pharmacy up the roads loss ..

my advice to the op is ... move : ) dave2

Whilst I agree with your advice dave2, I'm presuming that you simply didn't renew your lease and did things correctly. It's not quite so easy for some people, who might have a sizeable deposit being held and may also have, lets say, 10 months left on a 12 month lease. If the lease is broken without agreement the deposit is forfeited and proceedings for the outstanding balance of the rental agreement can be made. They will win if they pursue it +costs (the dog is not their fault) and they also have all the passport details to show immigration that a person is a 'runner'.

Depends if the owner of the dogs is nice or not whether the situation gets resolved.

Getting the police involved in anything here is bad news.

We have this problem near us too. Seems like folks want dogs but dont know how to look after them. To be honest some of the houses near us are small with dogs in the yard. They are bored i think. Not nice at all hearing a constant barking hope you sort it out and tell us all the outcome.

I would like the situation resolved. I work at home, and if I had a dog that barked

that loudly I would apologize to my neighbor and go retrain my dog and buy

a comfortable muzzle for him. I don't think I'm expecting too much here.

Quite frankly you are, and in Thailand, dogs barking are a fact of life. The Tourist police are for tourists, and would have no interest, as would the local police. If you need to complain at all the correct place to complain is your local Tessa Bahn. They will listen to you, might, just might send a Tessa Bahn officer round to investigate. Failing that, make a recording of the dog in full bark, then play it back at increased volume when your neighbour is asleep.wink.png

i like daoyai's idea buy some rawhide bones to chew on.

I am not a big lover of animals but I don't like to see them abused either.

To me it sounds like the dog is feeling abandoned and the owner does not hear your concerns or

is not concerned about the dogs needs.

That being said I would bet she would hear her dog if it were pepper sprayed...Not really sorry to say that I believe humans have rites to and animals have reasons for that kind of carrying on that is the only way they have to communicate them and the owners are ignoring them.

I walk a lot and see dogs on the streets here in Chiang Mai. And none of them are non stop howling.

I see why you guys can sorta' sympathize with a DOG. But I had the same problem in Vietnam, but with ROOSTERS. Yup, I lived in a "house," which in Vietnam is connected directly to the neighbor's "house" and there's just a narrow alley in-between. All sounds echo like mad. It seemed extremely perverse and anti-social to me to keep F'ing roosters. They didn't just crow at dawn. Hell no. All night long, the bastards. I confess to fantasies of utilizing a sling shot. Anyway, that shows the indifference people can have to the neighbors in Asia as regards sounds. Might as well open a "Siren Repair Shop" and test them 24/7.

Point I was getting to is that when the animal making the ruckus is the kind of creature you might eat, there's just not much room for sympathizing with it. So goes for the hell-hounds. I'm lucky in that I don't get ANY barking, so I guess I'd better stay put, but that'd be a real pisser. I've lived in three Asian countries and they all seem to allow a lot of noise, though I do remember neighbors complaining once at a friends place when we were playing "beer pong".

This is just my 2 cents about the whole "This is Thailand" or "This is China" or "This is Korea" or whatever thing. This is "Earth" and we are "human." I say don't just take it. Somehow you are less of a man and should go home with your tail between your legs if you don't just take it. That's one perspective. The other is to try to outsmart the people involved, which I find almost always works. Almost any situation can be turned to one's advantage if one looks for the right angle long enough.

It would cross my mind to record the dog, as people have suggested, amplify the sound with a sound editing program, buy a cheap (but loud) boom box, insure that said boombox will play the recording on repeat, endlessly, an then anonymously place it only the neighbors front door set to full blast. OK, you might need some blank space leader time so you can get away without being noticed. This would piss off the owner, and everyone else at the owner, and you could laugh your ass off back home while knocking back a few cans. Probably good for your mental health at that point. Just a thought. Revenge is only really good if it's a good laugh and nobody gets hurt.

Unfortunately you might need to buy a couple dozen boomboxes before the battle would finally be won, if you weren't drummed out of town first.

Hope this helped.

I'm really just extending my sympathies, and also really don't think you just need to accept it or that means you're unfit for Thailand. Nah, you'll find a way to win the war with the dog.

Cheers

• Like 1

Dustoff used to swear by one of these.... It's not always that easy to move if you own the place you live in!

My sympathies are with you.... really.

David

http://www.gooddeals...rk Control.aspx

I imported the outdoor bark control device from USA. It made no difference at all to the dog's barking; not even one second! It was about 4 metres from the dog

That is just what I suspected. Thanks for confirming it. biggrin.png

Shouldn't this thread be merged with an old thread about "owning vs renting"?

but yes, get the dog some rawhide chews. They make some pretty big ones here that take my dogs hours to finish, sometimes days.

Called the Tourist Police? Are you a tourist? It doesn't sound like it.

"I work at home"

So you have a work permit? If not, perhaps you should not be making a stink.

Anyway, I think your are expecting too much and only hope you do not end up with a whole big lot more than you expect.

But with your great Thai language skills and corresponding cultural understanding, you should do better than most.

I was wondering how long it would take for the farang "work permit police" to post...I'm sure you are real concerned weather he has one or not Ha HA

• Like 1

To be realistic, there's 3 things you can do.

Get used to the barking.

Move.

Put down the dog.

I would recommend the first or second alternative. smile.png

Absolutely, picking the dog up in the first place is a no no.

• Like 2

Cruel I know, but does no serious long term harm. Throw some food over laced with laxatives, dog will crap everywhere (which has added bonus of making owner happy) but will not bark while feeling poorly and sorry for itself. Dog will generally lie down and contemplate what went wrong in life rather than bark. Do this every odd day or so (not every day see that would be cruel) and the dog soon breaks the habit of barking (it is a habit).

Dog soon work out that strain of barking causes crap problems. I bark, I crap. I don't bark I don't crap.

I got a smile out of this one. And I like the idea....

Get the dog to crap (loosely, diarea type) all over the owners driveway, lawn, everywhere... Maybe they'll think and get rid of the dog.

Still smiling from this recommendation.

To be realistic, there's 3 things you can do.

Get used to the barking.

Move.

Put down the dog.

I would recommend the first or second alternative. smile.png

Absolutely, picking the dog up in the first place is a no no.

laugh.png