Are The Parks Safe At Opening/Closing Hours When It'S Dark?

cathy211

In my experience, there is a big culture of exercise - yoga, taekwondo (excuse spelling), jogging etc.- among middle-class Thais. In BKK Lumphini Park, Chantaburi King's Park, Trat new park near bus terminus, KhonKaen around the lake. People are out early (from say 0500) to avoid the heat.

While I agree with above posters that there are the usual skanks associated with big cities the world over, If you are out in a park in the wee hours and doing something (ie. not just loitering), I think that Thailand is largely safe for women.

Yes, lock your doors and windows and don't leave the house ever and try not to sleep at night as this is when bad things more often than not happen!!! If you are forced to leave the house (once a month to stock up on food), make sure you take a male with you. Why chance it, you are after all female! crazy.gif

Edited by Nisa

Yes, bad things can happen anywhere but my sense is that central Bkk is generally safe. I run in the park on Soi Rang Naam late till closing and have never felt the slightest unease. And there are security people buzzing about on their bikes as well. I am not female but I have had, er, female friends depart my condo in the wee hours to walk down a deserted soi without an issue ever, which is unthinkable in any major US city. I don't think fear of rape and violence are as much a worry in most parts of Bkk as in the West. Still usual caveats apply about being aware of your surroundings and not doing anything stupid.

The worst I hear are about incidents of bag snatching with a couple of guys on a bike sneaking up on a pedestrian on a lonely stretch. This probably shouldn't concern someone out for exercise though.

Edited by The Dancer

Yes, bad things can happen anywhere but my sense is that central Bkk is generally safe. I run in the park on Soi Rang Naam late till closing and have never felt the slightest unease. And there are security people buzzing about on their bikes as well. I am not female but I have had, er, female friends depart my condo in the wee hours to walk down a deserted soi without an issue ever, which is unthinkable in any major US city. I don't think fear of rape and violence are as much a worry in most parts of Bkk as in the West. Still usual caveats apply about being aware of your surroundings and not doing anything stupid.

The worst I hear are about incidents of bag snatching with a couple of guys on a bike sneaking up on a pedestrian on a lonely stretch. This probably shouldn't concern someone out for exercise though.

Agree. The only thing I would add is the occasional exhibitionist who wants to show his little wee-wee. Every time I have heard of this, they are always in or standing near a phone booth. Although I find Bangkok incredibly safe given its population, population density and number of financially challenged, I would not recommend anyone go wondering around in the dark alone with out a decent number of other people around ... would say the same thing to somebody in Idaho.