Thai Police See Role Model In Seoul

webfact

Thai police see role model in Seoul

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A visit by Thai police to observe South Korea's Seoul Metropolitan Police traffic management, has encouraged local officers to consider adopting the South Korean model for Thai streets.

Traffic Police chief Pol MajGeneral Uthaiwan Kaewsaard said most Koreans respect the law and there are fewer than five road accidents a day in the capital. Half of Seoul's 2,000 traffic police patrol the streets and traffic is monitored via CCTV cameras which cover 436 roads.

Each camera can turn 360 degrees, zoom and feed information to the centre. Seoul police can reach an accident scene within three minutes, he said. While radio reports traffic conditions, a map of city traffic with colourcode roads is also available to the public through TV, Internet and smart phones free of charge, he said.

Each private car’s general period of use was only seven years, beyond which motorists must pay an additional tax for pollution prevention. Seoul sets a rotating timetable for when personal cars and taxis can be used, while also promoting public transport, so there are no severe traffic jams.

Children are taught to respect traffic laws and penalties for drunk driving are severe; a hefty fine and driver’s licence seizure. A drunk driver causing another’s death would be bankrupted by paying high nonnegotiable compensation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-17

"Children are taught to respect traffic laws............"

Well, that's Thailand buggered then. Lucky this line was at the end, as I would've stopped reading had this been at the beginning of the article.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif I am sorry this simply will not work. There MUST be a system in place here so spoiled brats of the hiso can run people over and get away with it.

Children are taught to respect traffic laws and penalties for drunk driving are severe; a hefty fine and driver’s licence seizure. A drunk driver causing another’s death would be bankrupted by paying high nonnegotiable compensation.

> there are fewer than five road accidents a day in the capital

Can't believe that for a second

> penalties for drunk driving are severe; a hefty fine and driver’s licence seizure

Business as usual here, I think this is the role model referred to in the headline

• Like 1

http://notthenation.com/2012/07/police-launch-new-ez-bribe-card-for-motorists/

Police Launch New EZ-Bribe Card For Motorists

15 Jul 2012

BANGKOK – Drivers in the capital will now enjoy the convenience of paying bribes to police electronically, according to a new system unveiled by the Bangkok Metropolitan Police yesterday.

The EZ-Bribe card is modeled after the EZ Pass that motorists have been using to pay tolls without having to stop. Similar to the EZ Pass system, the EZ-Bribe card is a stored value card that instantly deducts the price of a single-trip police bribe from the user’s account whenever the car passes a police checkpoint.

Please note SATIRE

• Like 2

Where do these people get their stats?

5 accidents a day in Seoul?

This from KBS World, Koreas news agency...

'Traffic Accidents Claimed 40 Seoul Citizens per Month'

Write 2009-08-18 12:02:21

A new report shows a monthly average of 40 people died in traffic accidents in Seoul last year.

According to a Seoul city government report on disaster casualties, nearly 42-thousand traffic accidents occurred last year, claiming 477 lives and wounding more than 59-thousand. A monthly record of over three-thousand-950 traffic accidents occurred in July when the monsoon season reached its peak.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Dm_detail.htm?No=65902

I have lived in Korea for quite a few years, and granted it was not in Seoul but same dog, slightly different leg action.

The driving I found to be more dangerous in Korea, better roads + new cars = very fast traffic. Speed is the only real difference I saw on the roads.

The Police do absolutley nothing, they drive around with their lights flashing, thats it. Sometimes they don't even do that, they have mannequins in a Police uniform or flashing light bar on a stick by the side of the roads :) (true)

I have seen the cops sleeping in their cars by the side of the road.

I was involved in a vehicle accident, a truck took the bonnet off the car I was in, the truck was turning right from the left lane and drove straight over us. We waited outside the car for my companies saftey advisor to arrive and in that time watched several police cars drive straight past.

I think it is funny trying to use S. Korean cops as a role model.

• Like 1

The BIG flaw in the Korean model is that Korea depends on the strict Rule of Law. Something totally absent in Thailand. So, in reality, this was simply a government paid junket for the hi-so's to go on a spending spree in Seoul, and absolutely NOTHING will come of it.

On the contrary, by the sound of your post, S.Korean cops seem to share the same philosophy of (complete lack of) enforcement.

They were probably specially selected by a committee.

Thais see S. Korea as a "role model." What a preposterous consideration that Thais could even dream of getting to that level of law and order, respect for others, and severe penalty for violation.

You misunderstand.

They see it as a role model for using cameras to find more people with out helmets.

Ker Ching 200 baht.

• Like 1

are korean policemen involved in corruption, tea money, gambling maffia in stead of doing the job they are paid for ? i guess not or less

I never saw it, did see strange practises and strange rules but local word on the street was pretty much foreigners were exempt as the Police are too scared to navigate the language barriers.

I friend of mine drove through a green light and was t-boned by a guy on a motorbike going through a red (Korean green), my friend had to purchase a new motorbike and pay all court costs. Strange outcome but as he was in a car and the other guy rode a bike my mate was deemed to be in the wrong, it was all legitimately done through the court system.

Where do these people get their stats?

5 accidents a day in Seoul?

This from KBS World, Koreas news agency...

'Traffic Accidents Claimed 40 Seoul Citizens per Month'

Write 2009-08-18 12:02:21

A new report shows a monthly average of 40 people died in traffic accidents in Seoul last year.

According to a Seoul city government report on disaster casualties, nearly 42-thousand traffic accidents occurred last year, claiming 477 lives and wounding more than 59-thousand. A monthly record of over three-thousand-950 traffic accidents occurred in July when the monsoon season reached its peak.

http://world.kbs.co....il.htm?No=65902

I have lived in Korea for quite a few years, and granted it was not in Seoul but same dog, slightly different leg action.

The driving I found to be more dangerous in Korea, better roads + new cars = very fast traffic. Speed is the only real difference I saw on the roads.

The Police do absolutley nothing, they drive around with their lights flashing, thats it. Sometimes they don't even do that, they have mannequins in a Police uniform or flashing light bar on a stick by the side of the roads smile.png (true)

I have seen the cops sleeping in their cars by the side of the road.

I was involved in a vehicle accident, a truck took the bonnet off the car I was in, the truck was turning right from the left lane and drove straight over us. We waited outside the car for my companies saftey advisor to arrive and in that time watched several police cars drive straight past.

This is true as I have live in Seoul for many years, and they drive just as bad, I have seen where drivers are in the left lane of a six lane road and cut all the way over to turn off.....and they want to use this role model... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif