Moving To Chiang Mai Soon And I'M Open For Any Tips

Jelopi

I guess some people seem to lead pretty sedentary lives.

was in warm up,till nearly 2.30 this morning,then went to a private party till 5ish,sedentry enough,555+

Guess thats exactly the point, which sort of makes me confused about your point..to be honest. Meaning there is actually quite a few different things people can do in Chiang Mai, depending on what kind of things they enjoy. Clubbing isnt personally my thing at all. Smokey bars and being up till 5am i find a bit boring, but maybe thats because im no longer in my 20's. None the less, i am never bored..and i have a very active life, and i loathe shopping..

after 10 years in cnx,there is a wide and varied scene,of things to do but it all or mostly all involves expense,and after a while it becomes a bit mundane,and every one nos your name in the end,i think the point i was conveying was it will cost a lot to get established in cnx,and young people might have run out of money or time by then.i like shopping but very little for males in the way of clothes in chiang mai,dont like bar girls or bars for that matter,like to see young people enjoying themselves,im in my 70s,but i am very law,and being a ex banker,very financial stable,(very rarely blow my own trumpet,your honoured),

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone is bored, it's because they're a boring person, nothing else. Only they can change that.

Or it could mean that the person who is not bored when they perhaps should be is maybe of small mind, one that is easily pleased, or is that the other way round? smile.png

Depends on one's poison really. True Blue is probably right that a young couple could run out of options if they're not the discerning type. Not everyone is taken aback by a moat, myriad temples and a million songthaews. It's not the be all & end all of Muang Thai, but could be a good introduction.

Perhaps you need to get off the bar stool and out more if you think shopping and drinking are the only things to do in Chiang Mai at night.

Ok I have to ask: What other things?

I can think of playing around on the internet.. Watch TV or a movie.. Extended dinner.. Go for a massage? Nighttime golf? Anything else? All the temples are closed at night. Or did you mean the night safari? Even that gets boring after a couple times. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Perhaps you need to get off the bar stool and out more if you think shopping and drinking are the only things to do in Chiang Mai at night.

I can think of playing around on the internet.. Watch TV or a movie.. Extended dinner.. Go for a massage? Nighttime golf? Anything else? All the temples are closed at night. Or did you mean the night safari? Even that gets boring after a couple times. wink.png

hope shes not thinking of spicy wtk,555+

okay lady of the night,give us a clue,im interested on new ventures ect,

Lady of the night? Is that really necessary? Frankly, I wouldn't bother informing the likes of you where I go and what I do at night for fear you show up. You seem to be lacking in grace and manners.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I can think of playing around on the internet.. Watch TV or a movie.. Extended dinner.. Go for a massage? Nighttime golf? Anything else? All the temples are closed at night. Or did you mean the night safari? Even that gets boring after a couple times. wink.png

I'm also interested in what there is to do around here at night. We finally moved and we aren't into drinking much. Whats out there?

I'm also interested in what there is to do around here at night. We finally moved and we aren't into drinking much. Whats out there?

goto a bar and order soda water!

1) A lot of open air markets

2) shopping mall probably bigger than the one back home

3) better theaters than the west

4) bowling alleys

5) open air bar areas where you don't necessarily have to drink

6) a stroll around the moat areas to watch all the freaks

7) night bazaar

8) china town night bazaar

9) star gazing on Doi Suthep

10) Lake Huy Thung Thao

11) Fishing at a stocked pond

12) Coffee shops with Internet and more people watching

13) Go kart track

14) multiple restaurants on the river

If you're a nature person and an explorer CNX is located close to other cities making a great base for day trips to places like Pai, Chiang Rai, Phrao and others, I'd recommend getting a scooter/motorcycle, but many will try and scare you off. In that case the cheapest vehicles are the Nissan NV (<100k)and the Nissan Sentra, the Toyota Vios or Honda City will probably give you the best fuel economy, and cost triple. (>300k but < 400k)

The proximity of food to where you live will determine your need for a vehicle. Food can be next door but cost 120 baht per dish, where as you can travel a couple of blocks and it will cost 30 baht if you can eat Thai food everyday with occasional western food (some cannot).

I eat Thai food almost everyday, but even still...it's hard to keep a 200 baht per day budget, since you will need water, the occasional soft/fruit drink and a snack/candy bar every now and then. A beer or two a couple days a week doesnt hurt much either.

Living close to a shopping mall in the beginning is a good start, as Eek mentioned Huay Kaew road close to Kad Suan Kaew mall is a good vicinity.

Edited by KRS1

4) bowling alleys

7) night bazaar

10) Lake Huy Thung Thao

13) Go kart track

If you're a nature person and an explorer CNX is located close to other cities making a great base for day trips to places like Pai, Chiang Rai, Phrao and others, I'd recommend getting a scooter/motorcycle, but many will try and scare you off. In that case the cheapest vehicles are the Nissan NV (<100k)and the Nissan Sentra, the Toyota Vios or Honda City will probably give you the best fuel economy, and cost triple. (>300k but < 400k)

The proximity of food to where you live will determine your need for a vehicle. Food can be next door but cost 120 baht per dish, where as you can travel a couple of blocks and it will cost 30 baht if you can eat Thai food everyday with occasional western food (some cannot).

I eat Thai food almost everyday, but even still...it's hard to keep a 200 baht per day budget, since you will need water, the occasional soft/fruit drink and a snack/candy bar every now and then. A beer or two a couple days a week doesnt hurt much either.

Living close to a shopping mall in the beginning is a good start, as Eek mentioned Huay Kaew road close to Kad Suan Kaew mall is a good vicinity.

so basically your saying its either shopping, going out into nature or eating?

4) bowling alleys

7) night bazaar

10) Lake Huy Thung Thao

13) Go kart track

@Jelopi, I think KSR1 has given you a good list to go on with..... I'm sure you'll soon start to find other things you like about CM.... If you do, could I ask you to update the thread with your new ideas,,,,,,,, (I think Jacktrip is desperately in need of some guidlance on how to lead a more fulfilling life!....whistling.gif )

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

<flame to another member removed>

Edited by onthedarkside
flame removed

4) bowling alleys

7) night bazaar

10) Lake Huy Thung Thao

13) Go kart track

@Jelopi, I think KSR1 has given you a good list to go on with..... I'm sure you'll soon start to find other things you like about CM.... If you do, could I ask you to update the thread with your new ideas,,,,,,,, (I think Jacktrip is desperately in need of some guidlance on how to lead a more fulfilling life!....whistling.gif )

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

<flame to another member removed>

why dont you contribute some ideas rather then just rehashing what was said in a previous post?