Transiting From International To Domestic

samtam

A friend who is visiting Thailand soon has asked whether:

If you fly into Bangkok international airport do you have to collect your luggage and then go to the domestic terminal to get flights to Koh Samoi ?

I am so out of touch with the procedure, but I suggested if he through booked his luggage, he would not have to transfer it himself. Can anyone with experience of this transfer procedure please advise?

Thanks. Yes, I did suggest that to him, but I thought someone might possibly have had some experience of transiting in Bangkok from international to domestic.

The problem is that the answer to the question depends on the agreement the airline has with (probably) Bangkok Airways for the flight to Samui. E.g. Eva Airlines has an agreement with Bangkok Airlines where on checkin at the departing station the luggage can be labeled through, so no need to pass immigration and collect luggage and re checkin.

depends on airline.

As said, would it not be easier for him to ask his airline rather than you hunt down the answer?

Does he think you know everything if you live in Thailand?

Get him to make a call, easy hey?

I think just PG and TG fly BKK-USM? Both have extensive interline agreements so in most cases, even with separate tickets, it is possible to check bags through to USM, and even get a boarding pass for BKK-USM. One merely needs to ask at check-in XXX-BKK, then clear mid-field arriving Immigration/security and proceed to concourse A, or go to the connection counter to get a boarding pass for BKK-USM. Bagage is claimed at USM and then Customs is cleared. Not all airlines, even those with interline agreements, may choose interline bags and/or issue onward BPs. A lot depends on where the journey begins and the ground service agent's capabilities and flexibility. With more detail re: itinerary, airline(s) some may offer better, more detailed options.

If for some reason baggage cannot be interlined then you will have to clear arriving Immigration in the west or east (or fast track) halls, claim bags,clear Customs, go up to level 4, check in with TG or PG for BKK-USM.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_noBD_en.php

Thanks. Yes, I did suggest that to him, but I thought someone might possibly have had some experience of transiting in Bangkok from international to domestic.

I had booked two tickets, one from Vienna to BKK with EVA Air. And another ticket from BKK to Chiang Rai (THAI Air). After arrival in BKK, I have to pickup my luggage and then enter immigration. And then, I have to check in with my luggage again at Thai counter.

Next year, EVA air will be member of Star Alliance. In this case, I have to book only one ticket from Vienna to Chaing Rai and also my luggage goes directly from Vienna to Chiang Rai.

I had booked two tickets, one from Vienna to BKK with EVA Air. And another ticket from BKK to Chiang Rai (THAI Air). After arrival in BKK, I have to pickup my luggage and then enter immigration. And then, I have to check in with my luggage again at Thai counter.

Next year, EVA air will be member of Star Alliance. In this case, I have to book only one ticket from Vienna to Chaing Rai and also my luggage goes directly from Vienna to Chiang Rai.

You can purchase VIE-CEI-VIE from BR, on a single ticket. If on separate tickets you can also ask BR at check in in VIE if they can link the two records and check your bag through to CEI. You will have to show your BKK-CEI record locator.

Note that if on separate tickets to USM, PG may now limit interline bags to 20 Kg, and charge for any overage at the connection counter. Not sure about TG to USM. If you join PG's FF program you get a 30 Kg allowance.

Vienna to Chiang Rai

Flight 1 Sunday, October 07, 2012

Departure: 19:35 Vienna, Austria - Vienna International

Arrival: 11:00 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: EVA Air BR062

Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-200

Service class: Economy Class

Change of plane required. Time between flights : 2:15.

Flight 2 Monday, October 08, 2012

Departure: 13:15 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Arrival: 14:35 Chiang Rai, Thailand - Chiang Rai

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG134

Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A300-600/600C

Service class: Economy Class.

Chiang Rai to Vienna

Flight 1 Saturday, October 27, 2012

Departure: 20:25 Chiang Rai, Thailand - Chiang Rai

Arrival: 21:45 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG141

Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A300-600/600C

Service class: Economy Class.

Change of plane required. Time between flights : 5:55.

Flight 2 Sunday, October 28, 2012

Departure: 03:40 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Arrival: 09:30 Vienna, Austria - Vienna International

Airline: EVA Air BR061

Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-200

Service class: Economy Class

Legend:

EUR = Euro

price

travellers fare taxes

1 adult(s) x (1,740 + 301) = 2,041 EUR

total for all travellers 2,041 EUR

I'm arriving from dubai at the weekend,with hand luggage only,and have 2 hours before my domestic flight leaves,what is the best procedure?

1) clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi,then go to domestic departures.

2)go straight to domestic departures,and clear immigration at my destination.

Thanks

PST.

I'm arriving from dubai at the weekend,with hand luggage only,and have 2 hours before my domestic flight leaves,what is the best procedure?

1) clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi,then go to domestic departures.

2)go straight to domestic departures,and clear immigration at my destination.

Thanks

PST.

You must clear Immigration at BKK, although you can do this mid-Concourse or in one of the two main Arriving Immigration Halls.

It would help if we could know your final domestic destination, and operating airline for BKK-XXX, as you may be able to clear Customs at your final destination.