Half Thai But British Citizen

Hello there,

I was wandering if anyone on this forum could give me some advice on immigration laws regarding me acquiring a Thai citizenship. My mother is Thai and my father is British but because I am 26 years of age I have been told that it is too late for me to apply for a Thai Citizenship and my mother should have filed an application of Thai citizenship when I was under the age of 16 years old.

Is there anyway I could acquire a Thai citizenship? My mother owns a plot of land in Phetchabun and wants to place the deeds under my name but because I am British citizen its a lot complicated. I do not have a Thai name where as my mother has an English name and Thai name but all her Thai personal documents such as Birth Certificates is under her Thai name which I don't share, as I have my Dads last name.

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this topic and thank you in advance.

David

You are Thai by nature of your mother's birth. If you are in Thailand go down to the local ampur with your mother and ask her to get you ID card and passport with her and your documents. If you are abroad go to the nearest Thai Embassy and with your mother's documents get a Thai passport. You do not have to claim Thai nationality it is your right but you do have to present documents to prove your rights!

A friend of mine was 46 before he claimed and got his first Thai ID card and passport without being able to speak a word of Thai!

• Like 1

If born in the UK, your first stop is the Thai embassy in London.

They'll need to issue you with a Thai birth certificate which will confirm your Thai citizenship, and you can also apply for a passport at the same time.

You'll need proof that you are indeed your mothers son, and they can provide a list of what documents you need to provide to get your BC.

Don't worry, I didn't get my Thai birth certificate till I was 18 or something like that. It is never too late. And you can have dual nationality, despite what people tell you. It has been perfectly okay for more than 20 years now.

• Like 1