Tuk Tuks...I Just Had This Crazy Idea...But Is It?

eyecatcher

There is probably a simple answer to this but can a farang buy a tuk tuk instead of a car.?

I am not suggesting to use it as a taxi but look at the advantages.

• Cheaper than a car and more practical than a motorbike.

• Can park just about anywhere without getting clamped/chained

• Everyone will be waving at you all day long, I will be so happy.

• Maybe a little sublime advertsing…..from the “sound system”

• Cheap to run and nippy in the sois..

Is it such a crazy idea or is there some merit in this.?

eyecatcher if your more than 4' tall and buy a regular Tuk Tuk, you'll be unable to look up, except by moving your eyes upwards after a few weeks, your cervical spine will be fixed.

A useful idea though........"One more for the Skylark"

No it's not a crazy idea, but not everyone's cup of tea. I had one twenty odd years ago, and had a lot of fun in it. As you say, cheap to run, and can park anywhere. The main problem I experienced was with the other tuk tuk drivers. As soon as I had friends in the back, they thought I was depriving them of a fare, even thought there was no taxi sign on it, and it was privately registered. After being run off the road twice, I got rid of it. If you got one of the custom built vehicles, with a presonalised colour scheme, you might fare a lot better, but there is nothing to stop you owning and driving one, a ton of fun.smile.png

No it's not a crazy idea, but not everyone's cup of tea. I had one twenty odd years ago, and had a lot of fun in it. As you say, cheap to run, and can park anywhere. The main problem I experienced was with the other tuk tuk drivers. As soon as I had friends in the back, they thought I was depriving them of a fare, even thought there was no taxi sign on it, and it was privately registered. After being run off the road twice, I got rid of it. If you got one of the custom built vehicles, with a presonalised colour scheme, you might fare a lot better, but there is nothing to stop you owning and driving one, a ton of fun.smile.png

I could see this being a problem, which could turn into a 'massive' problem for the driver.

I think the Isaan, Lao style (built on motorcycle) are more functional and probably better to drive, also less potential hassle from the Tuk-drivers. I have a friend that brought a couple from The N.E., they are better for transporting cargo also.

I think the Isaan, Lao style (built on motorcycle) are more functional and probably better to drive, also less potential hassle from the Tuk-drivers. I have a friend that brought a couple from The N.E., they are better for transporting cargo also.

Yes no tuk tuks where I am only the old Sam lor.

No problems driving a tuk tuk round these parts.

post-118612-134258567111_thumb.jpg

I could see this being a problem, which could turn into a 'massive' problem for the driver.

Especially in Phuket.

eyecatcher if your more than 4' tall and buy a regular Tuk Tuk, you'll be unable to look up, except by moving your eyes upwards after a few weeks, your cervical spine will be fixed.

Are you saying I am vertically challenged?...how could you stoop so low

• Like 1

Excellent idea. I wonder what they cost. New and used.

I paid 60,000 baht for mine. Mechanically great, but paintwork shabby. Bear in mind that was a long time ago. There are plenty of manufacturers around, that offer different body styles and engine capacities, including a petrol power unit. Prices range from 100.000 Baht to 160.000 baht depending on options. Even higher for custom built.

Don't forget to mount bloody great loudspeakers on the roof so that you can blast the neighbouring temple out of bed at 4 o'clock in the morning. Ok, wrong vehicle, but as long as we're on a brain storming....

Actually the driver sit lower than the passengers and has a better view.

If you want you could customize it for a full size sun or moon roof.

Funny how Cycle Rickshaws are becoming popular taxis in western cities but banned in many Asian countries.

A lot of western cities have cycle lanes that they can use.

I still like the leisurely ride up Doi Suthep sitting in a Samlor. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

I have no intention of sticking my ar5e through it, maybe the passengers will.

Funny how Cycle Rickshaws are becoming popular taxis in western cities but banned in many Asian countries.

A lot of western cities have cycle lanes that they can use.

I still like the leisurely ride up Doi Suthep sitting in a Samlor. wink.png

You wouldn't be happy with a Rickshaw ride in London. They're asking £20-30 for a 5-10 minute ride in the west end. I've observed Black cab taxis robbing tourists too and Yellow ones in NY.

Now the Olympics are about to start, they'll double it. Black cab drivers hate them of course, and there are no cycle lanes in central London. They're often Asian Rickshaw wallahs, trained in Bangladesh.

To be fair, also Africans and other illegals and asylum seekers do this work as well. Potentially earning as much in an hour in London as they would in a month back home. They have to hire their Rickshaw daily though just like in Calcutta. Or even as taxi drivers do in BKK.

When you've experienced rip off London, Paris or NYC, Thailand seems like a really kind and charitable country to live in or visit. Count your blessings.

Edited by TantraMantra
  • Like 1

I have no intention of sticking my ar5e through it, maybe the passengers will.

Ah Seoul, and the Unification church was a waste of time?

Edited by uptheos