Bad News For All Beer Drinkers

catmac

No problems, I like Chang. smile.png

Export is nice, Draught is drinkable, Classic is petrol!

I like petrol.

Try Lao Kao, that tastes like that 98 Octane Super Gasoline.

The stuff with the forest herbs in it is pretty nice, at least I think so. And at 100 baht a bottle better value than the boss's crappy black label.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not start up a Micro-Brewery among the expats?

There's 3 I know of. The Londoner pub on Suk, Bangkok. A german one on rama 3 and one in Hua Hin.

I'm sure someone said there was legality issues if you made your own.

Thanks for the info this warrants futher investigationdrunk.gif
  • Like 1

Well its just as well you like the pitiful selection of beers on offer in Thailand, because that's all the cartel is going to allow in the market.

The big joke is the ASEAN free trade agreements, being bent and twisted to keep Asia's really good beers out of Thailand.

Glad someone sees the significance of all this, GH. The first reaction of any Thai business to honest competition would seem to be not to try to improve its own product, but to do its best to drive the competition out by fair means or foul. Do you remember their first reaction to the free trade agreement was to demand a "health tax" on imported beers only. Cynical disdain for the spirit of Free Trade, and utter contempt for the concept of fair competition and consumer choice.

yyou think Thailand is bad? Just you watch this space for how the powers that be in Myanmar react to the recent "opening up".

Currently in communist China, you can a huge selection of beers from Europe, USA and around the world. I can't understand why nobody has jumped on this in Thailand. Although it's expensive in China (everything is) I can have a Rogue beer on tap in local bars. If you are American, you may know how great that is. I am hoping someone will open the door to good beer in thailand. They even have a delivery service we use all the time in shanghai called cheers-in

China isn't that communist anymore.

But the Thai control of markets and competition (cartels) can be called that.

Even in Nong Khai, only a few km from the Beer Lao factory, it is hard to buy any beer lao. Some farang owned pubs have it - for a hefty price.

That's how it works in Thailand.

The HiSo beer famous in Bangkok now is "Hoegarden". It goes for around 250B/half liter from tap and is imported from Belgium.