I Bloody Love Chiang Mai!

expatmakmak

Sawadee khrap TV'ers!

I'm back!

I've been away a while visiting family and making some capital purchases in old Blighty. Or should I say 'not very Brighty! 555!!!!!!!.

My time visiting family in the UK further set in stone my love for this bloody lovely city! I love it mak mak.

I've got a quick question, does anyone know what the bloody hell the greek/roman styled buildings are on the north-west inner corner of the moat? I've been here an extremely long time but this one has got my brain on the fritz!

If you are talking about the one thats painted white, with those 2 ridiculous bog looking soldier turretns outside.........I think it was one of the old hospitals in a day gone by.

there is a large corner plot of land beside it that is for sale for some extortionate amount, though the price may actually include the old building aswell.

I may be completely wrong about the building though

From Travelfish.org :

These highly elaborate, yet modern, Thai concrete constructions -- no

Lanna style here -- are actually only an upmarket townhouse development but manage to incorporate Greek statues, relief covered lintels and pediments, balustrades and classical columns, creating an almost Gothic, modern Thai meets Hammer House of Horror set. Location spotters take note!

DSC_4.jpg

Neo-classical, Gothic, modern Thai townhouse mix.

It's been empty for as long as we've been in

Chiang Mai so having asked my wife why it has never been done up, demolished, built over or whatever, we received the predictable reply: there are many ghosts. Anyway moving on, you have on your left the decidedly unhaunted array of computer and electronic goods warehouses; Computer City, Computer Plaza and so on followed by, on both sides of the moat, a couple of old wats. (This juxtaposition of old and new -- 14th and 21st centuries is a common feature of this and indeed any city walk in Chiang Mai.)

• Like 1

I read in CityLife the history of that mansion.

Apparently (according to the article) it was owned by a very rich man...who killed his entire family, and then himself in that home.

It has remained empty since that time.

Maybe member saojiangmai has more info, and can clarify?

Your local Salaphet vendor should know, why not ask herrolleyes.gif

I've really missed them! especially the moo daeng ones! aloy!

As for the ghosts in those buildings..... ghosts shmosts! 55555555!!!!!!!!

How do you spell "aloy" in Thai?

MSPain

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

If that one has your brain on the fritz, try taking the road West of the river and parallell with Chan Klan, there's a European castle there complete with turrets, any clues on that one also?

That's heading south. I think it is before you get to the turn off for the Holiday Inn.

MSPain

Please...please don't start him on Thai spelling again wink.png

• Like 2

Why not make a stop there next time you're in the area ?

My wife and i did some number of years back but the exact details of that distant memory have faded.

It was not a sanitarium. The ghosts that may haunt the building do not speak Thai but rather, if my memory serves me at all, they parle francais (however the French spell that ).

It was the head Office of some Thai-European (French I think) business. I think it may have been connected to the timber/lumber industry. There was a descriptive/commemorative plaque to view inside.

As beautiful inside as out ( in the eye of the beholder !)

Some fairly recent renovations appear to have been made so I'm uncertain whether access is still available.

Certainly worth a try. No one, to the best of my knowledge has been murdered there or met an untimely death - yet.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

I read in CityLife the history of that mansion.

Apparently (according to the article) it was owned by a very rich man...who killed his entire family, and then himself in that home.

It has remained empty since that time.

Maybe member saojiangmai has more info, and can clarify?

...bloody mak mak bah.gif

Even the master of literal; sarcastic; tongue in cheek, lateral thinking; and humour is now completely out of his depth with the eclectic babble that has gone on before this post.

Wish I was part of this clique, but I can only put it down to American or Australian HumOr...let me say "lack of"

If that one has your brain on the fritz, try taking the road West of the river and parallell with Chan Klan, there's a European castle there complete with turrets, any clues on that one also?

The one along Charoenpratet?

I think it was a former mosque.

MSPain

offtopic.gif (Mai Kon Deal! your not the only one though!) Aloy means delicious in central Thai. In Northern Thai it is pronounced Aroy or another Lanna word is used. As for spelling in Thai, I'll give you a hint. One of the vowels/sala is definitely sala-phet!!! 55555

Swiftly back ON topic. Some great suggestions for interesting buildings in Chiang Mai guys! Surprised there is not more information or even tours of these Chiang Mai gems. Many cities around the world have ghost walks. Might not work here as the Thai people are very scared of pee ghosts almost as much as they are scared of walking! 5555! Mr. Farang is much more interested in both and it could be a great addition to the tours offered here.

Edited by expatmakmak

MSPain

offtopic.gif (Mai Kon Deal! your not the only one though!) Aloy means delicious in central Thai. In Northern Thai it is pronounced Aroy or another Lanna word is used. As for spelling in Thai, I'll give you a hint. One of the vowels/sala is definitely sala-phet!!! 55555

Swiftly back ON topic. Some great suggestions for interesting buildings in Chiang Mai guys! Surprised there is not more information or even tours of these Chiang Mai gems. Many cities around the world have ghost walks. Might not work here as the Thai people are very scared of pee ghosts almost as much as they are scared of walking! 5555! Mr. Farang is much more interested in both and it could be a great addition to the tours offered here.

I have to admit you do come out with some gems at times. biggrin.png

The one along Charoenpratet?

I think it was a former mosque.

It's in a predominantly Muslim area and it wouldn't surprise me if the builder/owner is Muslim, but it was never in use as a mosque; it's not even that old, building stagnated for a long time and it was sort of completed (on the outside at least) a couple years ago. Not sure if it was even intended as a mosque; I suspect not, but not sure. It remains an interesting building of course.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai