International School

LPG

The lacks of response from the usually quick respoding crowd here on the forum, unfortunately answer your question. The only international school, with a reputation, The Dulwich, ceased to exist after the school year 2004-2005. The new school, British Curriculum International School, Phuket seems to have a lot of teetering problems and although most of the teachers stayed on, the sentiment is that no one will call it a good school yet, mostly because it doesn’t have any significant accreditation. However, most of the students are still there and lacking any serious competition, parents and students living in Phuket have no other place to go. Check it outhttp://www.bcis.ac.th]

Cheers………..kandt :o

Edited by kandt

The Montesorri school used to be quite good as I had my daughter there for 3 years. The they changed from an international school to a bi lingual school and the quality of teachers is not very good. My daughter spoke better english than her dutch teacher.

Dulwich or as it is now called the British (ciriculum) international school ( notice that they place the circulium in small letters to try and convience people it is an accredited international school) is ok for now. This is where i placed my daughter after the Montesorri school and she had the best teachers i could imagne for 3 years. Then Dulwich pulled out, many teachers left and they started taking in loads of thai's and other non-first language eanglish speakers to try and make the investors happy, ( it is a PROFIT run school).

this means that the qualty of education is heading south. Many more teachers will leave at this end of this year when their contracts expire. I have many friends that have their kids there and they are still happy with it but the class size goes up and with so many new non-english speaking kids the teachers are unable to teach to the level the kids should be taught. I pulled out because I got tired of being lied to all the time by the owners and was worreid about the many non english speaking kids in her class. We later found out that they claimed the high level of education was because they tested the kids on a level one year below where they were, ( kids in year 6 received year 5 tests)

Still, great facilites with 2 swiming pools, sports stadium, socer fields etc etc.

I now have my daughter in a small (very small, only 18 kids) school, (Horizons) that I am very happy with but what's more important she loves. Very individualised teaching and as the Montesori school they allow the kids thenmselves to work towards the level they can go. Its not cheap thou being the same price as BCIS. 2 teachers and outside trained teachers come in as well, (for math, dance, chinese, thai)

There is talk that Khun Montri, who runs the Prem center in Chaing mai, will be builiding a school and joining with Horizons/greenhouse (where they take kids 2-6) in the next year. This will be run with the american ciriculumn.

There is also the

Kajonkietsuka bi-lingual school in Phuket town which is a good alternative and affordable

QSI international which is the old Phuket international school very high quality teachers and small class sizes but a bit run down.

And thats' it

The Montessori school on Phuket is a small alternative education campus that now follows the Singapore school syllabus with a creative edge. Worth checking out also.