Let'S Butcher Some Valuable Trees

toenail

I notice that some of the few large, natural hardwood trees that shade the beach promenade and beach (the ones that help to not only shade the area but also keep the sand from eroding away) are being hacked away piece by piece. I was hoping the city would cancel the mayor's plan to widen Beach Road from three lanes to four which will take 3-4 meters out of the already narrow Beach Road Walkway. True, the computer graphic pictures are impressive, but in reality the walkway will be smaller and less shade. In my opinion, the extra lane will not make that much of a difference...only more room for vendors to park along the street. If my memory is correct, the Beach Road promenade was re-done with its tiled benches, curved walkway, and planted palm trees and landscaping 7 years ago. Of course, it looked wonderful when it was finished but gradually it fell apart due to NO MAINTENANCE. I suppose this new project will have no annual maintenance budgeted for it either and it will crumble away like the local sidewalks.

The present version of the promenade was done many years ago, as you said, but it was poorly done, probably as cheaply as possible and fell apart quickly.

IMO the version before that was much better, and just needed upgrading, rather than replacing, but TIT!

Didn't know that they were going to widen the road, but if they do, what will happen to the stalls that they erect alongside the path- won't be much room left for them?

The present version of the promenade was done many years ago, as you said, but it was poorly done, probably as cheaply as possible and fell apart quickly.

IMO the version before that was much better, and just needed upgrading, rather than replacing, but TIT!

Didn't know that they were going to widen the road, but if they do, what will happen to the stalls that they erect alongside the path- won't be much room left for them?

I hoped they'd shelved the idea of widening Beach Rd. IMHO the last thing we want at Pattaya is more traffic along that route. Lets pedestrianise it - that would be ace - less noise, less pollution, less aggro, lots of room for families with prams and people in wheelchairs - wai.gif

• Like 1

I remember when they did it the first time and thought they were insane as the trees provided wonderful shade and helped reduce erosion and looked great. The people behind this fiasco seem intent on ruining the area adjacent to the beach. That makes sense because tourism is valued, so, lets forget the huge mistake that we made when we cut down the trees around 2003 and this time really make a strong effort to ruin the beach area. TIT!

I hoped they'd shelved the idea of widening Beach Rd. IMHO the last thing we want at Pattaya is more traffic along that route. Lets pedestrianise it - that would be ace - less noise, less pollution, less aggro, lots of room for families with prams and people in wheelchairs - wai.gif

Then how would people get from North Pattaya to South Pattaya?

walk

My assumption was wrong. I just read in one of the local newspapers that the city decided to "trim" the trees, (you call that a trim????) in order to cut back foilage in order to increase security. The lack of foilage would allow the lights and security cameras not to be blocked. The engineer in charge is hoping this would decrease prostitution. Funny, but last night when I was in front of Royal Garden area, there were just as many "coconut ghosts" lined up along the brightly lit Beach Rd. prominade. All this did was enable the "customer" to see what his "one night only" girlfriend would look like. It would have been better if the city had stationed a couple police in the area from midnight to 5am if they wanted to step up security in that area...

All they need to do is ban the fricking busses from blocking the road and things will be fine. I drive beach road every day and you have several busses stopped to pick up their load of Korean beach bums (who are too stupid to use the crosswalks that Pattaya spent 3.4 million to install) and that screws up the traffic.

My assumption was wrong. I just read in one of the local newspapers that the city decided to "trim" the trees, (you call that a trim????) in order to cut back foilage in order to increase security. The lack of foilage would allow the lights and security cameras not to be blocked. The engineer in charge is hoping this would decrease prostitution. Funny, but last night when I was in front of Royal Garden area, there were just as many "coconut ghosts" lined up along the brightly lit Beach Rd. prominade. All this did was enable the "customer" to see what his "one night only" girlfriend would look like. It would have been better if the city had stationed a couple police in the area from midnight to 5am if they wanted to step up security in that area...

Yes they said to increase security in the articles. Horrible. Pattaya needs more greenery and more shade. I remember as recent as 2005 or maybe 2006 when the flower beds on the walkway were well maintained. I have photos of the northern stretch of beach road. Place was really attractive. Now, more vendors, less shade, more dirt and stone, Dusit Walkway all but destroyed leading around the point. Sad to see the decline

Years ago I suggested pedestrianising Beach Rd, but didn't get much support for the idea.

However, I suggested that it only be pedestrian at night and from central to South Rd, so basically an extension of Walking St.

It would be simple enough to make 2nd Rd two way, as it has 4 lanes all the way, as wide as South Rd or Central Rd.

Yes they said to increase security in the articles. Horrible. Pattaya needs more greenery and more shade. I remember as recent as 2005 or maybe 2006 when the flower beds on the walkway were well maintained. I have photos of the northern stretch of beach road. Place was really attractive. Now, more vendors, less shade, more dirt and stone, Dusit Walkway all but destroyed leading around the point. Sad to see the decline

Decline is inevitable if all the money "disappears".

BTW. Why do Pattaya authorities have this thing about getting rid of prostitution, when it's the only reason Pattaya exists as more than a fishing village? No need to answer that- TiT!