Volunteer Police...What Do You Think?

snamos

I'll tone down my opinion of them as its quite strong. I just think that if there is a need for more police they should be paid...there is enough money coming into Phuket to equip the island with more officers. By working for free you are doing a Thai family out of a steady monthly salary.

The guys controlling the funding for the police would be just pocketing the money and laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by snamos

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's your attitude about police in general and not only here

I joined for a short period because it was something to do where you do not need a work permit

and to assist tourists, most police officers here do not speak english or any other language except Thai

A lot who join do so because they can wear a uniform and feel important patrolling Bangla road which should be done by the regular police

Some joined thinking they would get a visa by doing so but they cannot

I refused to patrol Bangla road and would only work in the office in the beach road assisting tourists with there problems when possible, The farang boss did not like this so i resigned

There was a Scotsman and a Indian who felt the same way as me, the Scotsman was sacked for a made up reason and the indian is still a member i think

The rest could only be decribed with the word starting with W

• Like 1

Every time (probably 10 or more) I have been into Chalong police station there is the same Thai policeman there who speaks perfect English and is quite helpful. I dont acknowledge the volunteers there.

Police in most western countries are overzealous and treat you like a criminal for the most trivial matters. But they have to do fairly intense courses so you have to have a certain level of respect for them..... so to me they are a necessary evil. Parking cops in any country ....well i think you know my thoughts on that one,

I did get arrested once in the Philippines (woman related incident of her booting in my guesthouse room door in an unfounded jelous rage) and they are a bit rough, but the Baranguy captain was quite pleasant and he enjoyed my 'peso'nality

Every time (probably 10 or more) I have been into Chalong police station there is the same Thai policeman there who speaks perfect English and is quite helpful. I dont acknowledge the volunteers there.

Police in most western countries are overzealous and treat you like a criminal for the most trivial matters. But they have to do fairly intense courses so you have to have a certain level of respect for them..... so to me they are a necessary evil. Parking cops in any country ....well i think you know my thoughts on that one,

I did get arrested once in the Philippines (woman related incident of her booting in my guesthouse room door in an unfounded jelous rage) and they are a bit rough, but the Baranguy captain was quite pleasant and he enjoyed my 'peso'nality

There is always a police officer in a major police station who speaks good english although they quite often do not let you know they do

The majority of the policemen on patrol do not speak any english on average and if they do they appreciate the help of a native english or other language speaker in a difficult situation to help them out, its all about face

Edited by petercallen
  • Like 1

If you like to walk in Patong during the night and picking up drunks from the gutter, getting totally ignored by that Thai bar staff, laughed at etc then please go ahead.

The problem is that they don’t have any authority and the rest knows that and therefore totally ignores them and even when they beat up a tourist ( Thai bar touts ) the police volunteers can do shit all.

For the most part they are just ego trippers ( except for a few good ones ) and they did not do any background checks on them in the beginning resulting a lot of shady persons joining the police volunteers.

On the other hand I have much more respect for the immigration volunteers who are there to really help the tourist with their visa problems and have a normal relationship with immigration officers. ( and they don’t have to work in Soi bangle !! )

I have to say it,even though I will probably get burned.

All the Volunteer Police I have known, are Power hungry, and failures in their own Countries,and think it will help them when it comes to Visa time,or Citizenship,same people often join the local Rotary Club! and know everything,because they claim inside information,and the uniform gives them another six inches in stature,also does a great job for low self esteem,and massages the Ego.

Nothing like it,for reinventing yourself,for respect of the Folks back home, as well.

• Like 1

Could be sign of boredom, and being power hungry. The boredom I can understand.

I have never met one since living here in Thailand, and never needed them to come to my assistance either.

IMHO let them be, and let them think whatever they want. If it makes them feel good looking in the mirror with a useless uniform so be it.

Don't understand what the problem is with the Tourist police, do they bother you, do they affect your everyday lives, no!! If they want to do this job good luck to them!! If you left your home country because you were fed up with a so called nanny state, what's the problem now, I am sure they help many people which makes it worthwhile, I have had no dealings with them so why would I come on these forums and put them down, some people just have to complain!!

• Like 2

I have to say it,even though I will probably get burned.

All the Volunteer Police I have known, are Power hungry, and failures in their own Countries,and think it will help them when it comes to Visa time,or Citizenship,same people often join the local Rotary Club! and know everything,because they claim inside information,and the uniform gives them another six inches in stature,also does a great job for low self esteem,and massages the Ego.

Nothing like it,for reinventing yourself,for respect of the Folks back home, as well.

Pretty much my view.

It's a power trip or some feel they will get a get out jail free card later down the line. I wonder if KBB tried to use his??

There is always a police officer in a major police station who speaks good english although they quite often do not let you know they do

The majority of the policemen on patrol do not speak any english on average and if they do they appreciate the help of a native english or other language speaker in a difficult situation to help them out, its all about face

Just as majority of volunteers do not speak any Thai , so how exactly are they helping??

• Like 1

Don't understand what the problem is with the Tourist police, do they bother you, do they affect your everyday lives, no!! If they want to do this job good luck to them!! If you left your home country because you were fed up with a so called nanny state, what's the problem now, I am sure they help many people which makes it worthwhile, I have had no dealings with them so why would I come on these forums and put them down, some people just have to complain!!

And reading is the key......

Op clearly posting about volunteer pOlice not tourist police

ummm Kenny, its called a discussion, judging from the comments above, I must have really wound you up with previous forum posts.

ummm Kenny, its called a discussion, judging from the comments above, I must have really wound you up with previous forum posts.

Lol like a spring ha

Edited by kawapower

My first encounter with a Thai Volunteer policeman was on a VISA run in about August 2006...he was flashing his badge around on the old boat as we were making our way back to Ranong from Burma....he couldnt go out of his way enough to let everybody know about it...anyways im pretty sure he was an Australian (or Brit that lived in Aus...memory is a bit foggy from the beers) I thought....'what a muppet'. While we were pulling up to the peir he tried to get off and slipped and I saved him from going in the drink. He clutched onto his Police badge and when I picked him back up he let everyone know that he didnt drop his badge....lets just say first impressions last

There is a story about my first encounter with a 'volunteer' policeman, now Im not sure whether he was a superbike highway patrol cop or a lowly traffic infringement guy.

Saw this guy standing in front of at least 6 Thai police, he was practicing saluting, the Thai's kept correcting him, he kept saluting, made my day and I did call him a Pratt, it made him happy but I dread to think what could happen if they gave him a gun!! They are harmless so let them get on with there power trip.

Edited by kawapower

Saw this guy standing in front of at least 6 Thai police, he was practicing saluting, the Thai's kept correcting him, he kept saluting, made my day and I did call him a Pratt, it made him happy but I dread to think what could happen if they gave him a gun!! They are harmless so let them get on with there power trip.

You would make a great volunteer cop Kenny. You've ticked all the right boxes...not much to do, middle aged, living here on the cheap, ready made family, big bike, insecure, great outlook on Thailand etc etc

The volunteer police in Phuket Immigration are stars rolleyes.gif nothing is too much trouble...

Better don't call them volunteer police as they don't want to be associated with the police volunteers and i don't blame them. wink.png

They are appointed by the immigration department and recognized by their embassies. I believe their position is immigration liaison officer.

And i agree they do a excellent job. clap2.gif

• Like 2

You would make a great volunteer cop Kenny. You've ticked all the right boxes...not much to do, middle aged, living here on the cheap, ready made family, big bike, insecure, great outlook on Thailand etc etc

Lol I have lots to do, middle aged yep right there, live here cheap(what's wrong with that? Ready made family, what's wrong with that? Sorry no big bike, try again!! Insecure mmmm no!! Thailand is great!!

Lol I have lots to do, middle aged yep right there, live here cheap(what's wrong with that? Ready made family, what's wrong with that? Sorry no big bike, try again!! Insecure mmmm no!! Thailand is great!!

well most people drive scooters (or samlors)....so a 250 is considered a big bike.

Anyways back on topic, what is the actual requirement for becoming a volunteer cop in Phuket?

Funding for Phuket as in every province is controlled be central government & is based on the official population. I am not sure what the latest figures are for Phuket but the actual population is probably 3 times higher at around 1 million. This why there are not enough police in Phuket which generates more than enough money to have a better equipped police force & better infrastructure in general. Just take a look at the traffic these days & it is easy to imagine real gridlock here in the not to distant future yet I do not see any evidence of works to improve the situation. Talk of underpasses & another road to connect Chalong & Patong are just that, talk. How about making Chao Fa West a true 4 lane road?

Crime is increasingly becoming a serious issue here & if the TVP can take some of the load off the regular police it all helps.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 2

Funding for Phuket as in every province is controlled be central government & is based on the official population. I am not sure what the latest figures are for Phuket but the actual population is probably 3 times higher at around 1 million. This why there are not enough police in Phuket which generates more than enough money to have a better equipped police force & better infrastructure in general. Just take a look at the traffic these days & it is easy to imagine real gridlock here in the not to distant future yet I do not see any evidence of works to improve the situation. Talk of underpasses & another road to connect Chalong & Patong are just that, talk. How about making Chao Fa West a true 4 lane road?

Crime is increasingly becoming a serious issue here & if the TVP can take some of the load off the regular police it all helps.

Well if there is funds shouldnt the 'powers that be' pay for some real cops instead of lining the pockets of mia nois and buying them new fortuners

Me neither!!

All he TVP I have seen have been very smart, never seen one that looked scruffy!!

Go to Chalong police station right now then Kenny....no dissapointment there, you will see TVP finest standing out the fron with a durrie, buddha amulets and a 'Harry Callahan' bad ass attitude to boot

Me neither!!

All he TVP I have seen have been very smart, never seen one that looked scruffy!!

Go to Chalong police station right now then Kenny....no dissapointment there, you will see TVP finest standing out the fron with a durrie, buddha amulets and a 'Harry Callahan' bad ass attitude to boot

I'll take your word for it.

Well if there is funds shouldnt the 'powers that be' pay for some real cops instead of lining the pockets of mia nois and buying them new fortuners

My point is there are no funds available for extra police. The police themselves are always calling for extra manpower but the outdated central based system of dispersing funds based on population numbers means a province that actually has a million people registered in that province would likely have a larger police force.

• Like 2

well most people drive scooters (or samlors)....so a 250 is considered a big bike.

Anyways back on topic, what is the actual requirement for becoming a volunteer cop in Phuket?

When i was in it you were interviewed by the senior farang ( a twit by the way )

And were supposed to have a police clearance from your home country, which i had but many did not