Light Switches Seem Recurringly Bunged Up By Ants

This might sound like a quirky problem b/c it was for me the first couple of times I encountered it; but now it is just becoming annoying. It seems we have the recurring problem of ants bunging up our light switches. I am not exactly sure what occurs, but every so often a light switch stops working and the rocking of the switch is rough compared to previous operation. After taking the cover off to disconnect the leads from the switch box to shake loose any foreign matter, the switch seems to work fine once more.

I think the problem is with ants because it only seems occur at times when the ant population hits a boom (several times a year around out place).

The real problem is disconnecting the leads from the switch, since the contractors who installed the electrical never left any goof-loops on any of the leads and gawd-dam_n if there is no slack whatsoever to work with, making the job a real PITA!

Anyways, just curious if this might be a problem anyone else has encountered and what solutions might have been employed.

Edited by thaitang

Yup, ants (especially the really tiny ones) seem to like electric fields, we've had them in gate openers, water pumps, even computers.

Probably the only solution is to leave some of the ant killer powder in each switch box once you've cleared out the existing residents.

Agree 100% with Crossy, had the same issue, with one particular switch so much cramped with residues left by the visitors that we had to replace the switch itself. Was afraid it was termites, but the leftovers were more of the mini ants sort, termites leaving very specific traces...usually. As for a solution, still debating as to which toxic chemicals will give the best results over a longer period without affecting the human users. For the time being it is a "swap-the-switch", type of solution.

Yep, same problem -- with switches, printer, wall outlets, and even the Safe-T-Cut and hot water heater in the bathroom. That is to say nothing about the hoards that were also going all over the table, getting into the rice cooker and everything else that wasn't absolutely sealed. But the last straw came when I started to drive out one morning and felt a burning sensation on my balls. Stopped the truck and ripped open my pants only to find that a load of these little bastards had gotten into my underwear drawer and were now biting me on the balls. They house was absolutely plagued with these little ants. I declared war.

I had seen on TV that borax would get rid of the ants by killing them at their source. It sounded too good to be true, but worth trying. However, I could not find any borax. I finally had my wife (a school teacher) as the chemistry teacher at her school where they bought their chemicals. I went there and, yes, they had borax. This was back in February. I mixed some with bacon grease and made another batch mixed with honey. I put seven small bowls of each all over the house and porch. I learned that they preferred the bacon greased, with few even touching the honey. Within two weeks, much to the amazement of my Thai family, the ants were COMPLETELY gone. That was almost six months ago, and my house has been completely ant free -- something I previously believed to be impossible in Thailand! Not only the little ball-busters, but all varieties of ants are gone!

As an extra precaution, I also put some regular ant powder into all electrical devices, as Crossy suggests.

Edited by TongueThaied

Yup, ants (especially the really tiny ones) seem to like electric fields, we've had them in gate openers, water pumps, even computers.

Probably the only solution is to leave some of the ant killer powder in each switch box once you've cleared out the existing residents.

I had a colony enjoying the pressure switch area on the water pump. It's weird how they are drawn to that spot - nothing to eat, metal environment... but they like it and their fluffy deposit (ant poop?) gums up the switch. Now I spray it every so often and it seems to be working.

Ant powder. active constituent 20g/kg permethrin 40:60

How to apply. sprinkle the power along runs,on and around nests. If the ants are invading domestic premises apply powder to routes by which they enter.

Edited by electau