Divorce Settlement

MRGTINGTONG

my thai girlfriend came to england in 2006 and 2007 on holiday visa, the third visa was fiancee and we married at registry office, she now has

permanant visa and works.

I already owned 2 properties, one we lived in and one i rented out.

in 2009 we brought a house together where we now live and because of market conditions, i now rent out the second property as well.

She now wants a divorce and move back to thailand to be with family, i also want to live in thailand but not in the same area.

Can anyone advise what is she entitled to, profit from our house if we can sell or half of every thing i own.

Thankyou in advance.

From your post I guess you are talking about properties in England. That would be a question of British divorce law so I would have no idea. If I've misunderstood and you're talking about assets in Thailand it seems that in most cases that go to court it's a 50-50 split of assets. Of course you'll have to sell any real estate to split that. You'll need a good Thai divorce lawyer and you may want to weigh the cost of a possibly drawn out court battle (if she fights hard for everything) and the cost of travel to appear in court (possibly more than once) against the value of half of your assets here to determine if it is worth it or not. British law will determine what she gets there as the Thai courts will only be concerned with assets in Thailand.

If its Thailand. DO NOT GET A LAWYER they will cost you more and give you a head ache. Just talk to the lady in a calm manner and work it out. Leave the leaches out of it. Here in Thailand its 50-50 of all assets SINCE marriage. What was yours before stays yours. Uk is slightly different and the lawyers generally are more competent. Friend of mine has had 3 thai lawyers in 2 years and STILL no divorce :blink:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Thanks for your replies, i am talking about properties in england only, dont own anything in thailand apart from the 50,000 baht piece of land next to her parents home which i paid for in her name.

i know i need to see a solicitor, this costs money, just looking for any advice first.

You got married in the UK, and are both still in the UK so UK law will apply on the divorce. Go and talk to a citizens advice bureau or a sollicitor, since property is involved that is the best advise you can be given.

• 3 weeks later...

I married a russian lady in 2001, we got divorced in 02, i ownned the house we were living in, so the divorce court ruled that since she had made no contribution to the house, she had no claim on it, i would think that would be the same for your 2 properties before you got married, and it could be the same for the house you "bought" together, has she got bank statements to show she paid towards the mortgage or buying of the house?

Seems only a year or so since you had the new house, if she has paid towards it, offer to give her money back,get divorced, buy her a ticket for home, and that should keep it far from getting messy,