Moving To New City.Ed Visa Cancel?

Ok I moving from Phuket to Pattaya.I have Ed visa,,done half the time soon.My Ed visa expire januari 2013.

I want to start new school in Pattaya right away.I called 2 of the bigger schools and they should know.

School nr1. You can of course start school but you need to make new visa,means go to other country and get a new Ed visa.

School nr2. No problem,you come here asap when you are here,bring new rentalcontract of were you live and we change adress and you start school.And then when visa is finished in januari 2013 you/we just extend it again.

I need to to a 90 day report in 25 september so if school 2 is correct I can do that in Pattaya with my new homeadress,Cant do it in Phuket since I dont live there,

I realy hope school nr 2 is correct and it sounds logic or else everybody with retirmentvisa,marriage visa etc have to do the same if the move.Any one know?

I ask similare question before but that whas after my full year whas up and then no problem, but things change so I cant wait.

Do you have a visa or an extension from Immigration in Thailand?

If a visa then it is valid for case number 2 above

If an extension then it ceased to be legal the day you finished your course and so you are now here illegally and would also get a new visa in a neighbouring country

Are you moving to the same school just a different branch ? or is the new school a completely new school?

I was the same (moved from Phuket to Bkk) but with the same school, just different branches.

They told me I must complete 6 months first then can change and they would take care of the paperwork for me.

From my experiences - almost every school has a different interpretation of the 'rules' and the only sure way is to inquire with immigration and get the information from the people who will actually process this move.

It became such a run-around that I decided to postpone the start of my course until after the move, which doesn't help you much as you have already started, but it saves a lot of trouble and strife Sorry not to be more helpful.

Do you have a visa or an extension from Immigration in Thailand?

If a visa then it is valid for case number 2 above

If an extension then it ceased to be legal the day you finished your course and so you are now here illegally and would also get a new visa in a neighbouring country

I have visa until januari 2013 and only do report/notification every 90 day,not extension.So I think it is ok.Well dont have a choise .I think maybe school nr 1 did get me wrong, they sure think Im on a 90 extension.I will give them a call again to be clear.Thanks. Edited by crille30

Are you moving to the same school just a different branch ? or is the new school a completely new school?

I was the same (moved from Phuket to Bkk) but with the same school, just different branches.

They told me I must complete 6 months first then can change and they would take care of the paperwork for me.

From my experiences - almost every school has a different interpretation of the 'rules' and the only sure way is to inquire with immigration and get the information from the people who will actually process this move.

It became such a run-around that I decided to postpone the start of my course until after the move, which doesn't help you much as you have already started, but it saves a lot of trouble and strife Sorry not to be more helpful.

well its the effort to try to help and share experience that counts,Thanks for your input.And its a new school. Edited by crille30

You do seem to be on an extension, otherwise you wouldn't do 90 day reporting but instead be leaving the country every 90 days. (Unless you misunderstood the meaning of a 1 year multiple entry ED-visa and are on overstay).

Check carefuly what you have.

Ok I just called and talked with school nr 1 and explained that I have a 1 year visa ,(Phuket have,Pattaya dont)Im not on 90 extension,Iam on 90 report/notificaion.Now they understand what I mean.my bad.The schools say they same.So all is clear.Thank you for your input.

You appear to be on a one year extension of stay (not a visa) so we need to be clear on that for readers. No immigration office provides a one year visa - they provide extensions of stay or a conversion 90 day entry visa for such extensions of stay.

You do seem to be on an extension, otherwise you wouldn't do 90 day reporting but instead be leaving the country every 90 days. (Unless you misunderstood the meaning of a 1 year multiple entry ED-visa and are on overstay).

Check carefuly what you have.

ok hmm now i dont know hehe.My passport says stamp from Immigration to stay to12 januari 2013.I did a 90 days notification 29juni,have the recipe.ok maybe I mix the terms up,again hehe.So I guess Iam on a 1year extension then and do 90 notification.ok I hope i get it ok?

I think you mean you have a 1 year extension of stay instead of a 90 day extension of stay. This extension of stay ends when you stop your study. You can apply for an extra 7 days at immirgation, giving you 7 days to get the paperwork in order from the new school and apply for a new extension of stay in Pattaya.

A 1 year visa would mean that you have to leave the country every 90 dyas, which you don't do.

You appear to be on a one year extension of stay (not a visa) so we need to be clear on that for readers. No immigration office provides a one year visa - they provide extensions of stay or a conversion 90 day entry visa for such extensions of stay.

Yes now i get it yes 1year extension,i keep mixing the words and as you say its very importen to be clear so other readers dont missunderstand,sorry my bad

I think you mean you have a 1 year extension of stay instead of a 90 day extension of stay. This extension of stay ends when you stop your study. You can apply for an extra 7 days at immirgation, giving you 7 days to get the paperwork in order from the new school and apply for a new extension of stay in Pattaya.

A 1 year visa would mean that you have to leave the country every 90 dyas, which you don't do.

ok I see but I can give all the paper from my school Im in now and for exampel put the date that I will stop her

1september so then ther will be no stop between the schools so I dont need to pay 1900b for 7 days.There will be no stop.The paper can be done in advance,I think?Leaving her 1september star new school 2september.

Edited by crille30

Crille30:

Perhaps you can clear something up which sprung to mind after reading your posts?

To be eligible for an Education visa - to the best of my knowledge, you must sign up for a minimum 180 hours course which spread over a one year period is about 4 hours per week and 'stretches' the visa to it's maximum 1 year validity.

As you are moving to a new school after just 6 months - can I assume that you will dispose of half your (paid for) course fees and let the Phuket school keep the remaining 'value' ?

On the other hand =- perhaps you did 8 hours per week and completed your 180 hours in just 6 months, meaning that your (paid for) course in Phuket has now ended (and in theory, so has your ED visa??), so at your new (Pattaya) school you will be giving them a further 1 years study fees (which most schools insist on before they will entertain getting the paperwork for you for your visa extensions).

I am not after anything more than broadening my knowledge for the future (it's a jungle out there)

Crille30:

Perhaps you can clear something up which sprung to mind after reading your posts?

To be eligible for an Education visa - to the best of my knowledge, you must sign up for a minimum 180 hours course which spread over a one year period is about 4 hours per week and 'stretches' the visa to it's maximum 1 year validity.

As you are moving to a new school after just 6 months - can I assume that you will dispose of half your (paid for) course fees and let the Phuket school keep the remaining 'value' ?

On the other hand =- perhaps you did 8 hours per week and completed your 180 hours in just 6 months, meaning that your (paid for) course in Phuket has now ended (and in theory, so has your ED visa??), so at your new (Pattaya) school you will be giving them a further 1 years study fees (which most schools insist on before they will entertain getting the paperwork for you for your visa extensions).

I am not after anything more than broadening my knowledge for the future (it's a jungle out there)

I only do 4 hours a week.It means I lose my money that I payed to the school for 1 year,only used 6month and now I have to pay for a full year in Pattaya at my new school but I can live with that,My bad planning.I think most schools have no refund policy.They plan the whole year with teachers and schedule so I cant say a disegree with them.

Crille30:

I only do 4 hours a week.It means I lose my money that I payed to the school for 1 year,only used 6month and now I have to pay for a full year in Pattaya at my new school but I can live with that,My bad planning.I think most schools have no refund policy.They plan the whole year with teachers and schedule so I cant say a disegree with them.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I would agree that schools plan the whole year with teachers and quotas. I am sure some of the better ones do, whereas others rely on the constant stream of 'visa-dependent' customers. Teaching for them, is a secondary purpose. You only need to look at the teachers and the standard of teaching to realise that.

It's a real pity that some of the better schools are not authorised to process visa applicants and so miss out on some good genuine students (who happen to need a visa also). (Me included)

Good Luck with your new course in Pattaya and I hope your(documents) transfer is painless.

It's a real pity that some of the better schools are not authorised to process visa applicants and so miss out on some good genuine students (who happen to need a visa also). (Me included)

Good Luck with your new course in Pattaya and I hope your(documents) transfer is painless.

Some of the better schools elect not to help students with an ED-visa, as they don't want students who only come to class for their visa.

Might be strecthing it, you will need to cancel in Phuket and get a new permission to stay in Pattaya on the same day.

Yes but I can have paper that i stop exempel 1 september but he give me the paper in 31 august.?Then I would sign up for the new school and pay the 1 september,Then my school they go with paperwork to Ministry of education chonburi.My concern is is the day a sign in to the school is the first day and thats the one that counts in immigration eyes? or is it the day minister have the paper done and give to my school from them?This can take up to 3weeks and that would mean Im stay illegaly?I think its the day I sign in to the school. Edited by crille30

According to my thinking just talked with nr 1 and explained that I have a 1 year visa .They will give you a right suggestion to what to do. and do you have immigration from Thailand. ?If your visa is valid then you can easily start school.

can anyone reccommend a good language school in Patong? I need to get a one year visa but am very interested in learning Thai with a good teacher. I hear that many of the schools and 'students' arent that interested in the teaching side of things but more so the visa.

Im concerned about trying to learn at one of the better schools.

Any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated

Just like to add that you can do a 90 day extension at any immigration office anywhere in the country, so no problem if you are travelling. Also they let you do it anytime within a week of the date, earlier or later. But don't go over a week even by one day or its the 2000 baht fine.

Where did you get that information? Have you done so and where? The rule is you must obtain extensions of non immigrant entry at the office serving your location (not a temporary visit as with a tourist visa).

To Solenstu

Patong Language School is FANTASTIC!

Well-structured course books, and excellent teachers. Teacher quality can be a little variable, so if you are undertaking a Skype-based course and are not happy with yours, just ask for another. Course books are usually provided in Karaoke-speak, but if you wish to learn Thai script as well, course books can be provided with minimal English. The 1-on-1 Skype training is of a high standard (using Blackboard), although relatively expensive. I'm with another school now which I would rate 3/10, whereas Patong Language School is most definitely a 10/10. I understand that this is the only school accredited in Thailand that Swedish students are funded to study at? One of the major benefits of this school is that when you ask them a question (re Visas etc) - you actually get a reliable, intelligent answer. Refreshing. Good luck :)

Patong Language is good but totaly overpricede,if I remember correct they wanted like 40.000 for the same as everybody ask for 20-25000.Sure they are a good school but not that god to charge that price

Great school i go to now is Phuket BBK. the know all about the visa also,very happy with them and then you have Walen in Chalong witch I belive is god,I transfer to them next month in ther Pattaya school:Go around and visti and get a feel of the places

Edited by crille30