Registry Office Type Wedding

IrishMick

What is the Thai version of a Registry Office Wedding? What are the costs involved and what documentation do I need to provide?

I know I need some form of letter from my embassy to state that I can get married. But is this from the Embassy of the country I reside in or the country that issues my passport? I reside in Northern Ireland and hold an Irish passport.

Thank you in advance for your replies

Hello members, So I need to get an Affirmation To Marry document from the British Embassy? Do I simply turn up at the Embassy with my passport and ask for this document?

Then I get it officially translated to Thai and verified at the MFA Office in Bangkok? Where would I get this official translation and what is the MFA Office in Bangkok?

Thank you.

You have to use the template from the Embassy website, you give it in early morning and can sometimes collect in the afternoon cost around 2300 baht, then you get this translated into Thai (400baht), then go to the MFA to have everything certified, this takes at least one day to complete at the MFA, there is no express service now.

After all of this you can go to an Amphur and get married, make sure you get a copy of the entry in the Registry book, as Mario suggests, this is required if you need to get an extension to stay in Thailand.

• 6 months later...

Hello members, So I need to get an Affirmation To Marry document from the British Embassy? Do I simply turn up at the Embassy with my passport and ask for this document?

Then I get it officially translated to Thai and verified at the MFA Office in Bangkok? Where would I get this official translation and what is the MFA Office in Bangkok?

Thank you.

if u have an irish passport .. u will need to go to the irish consulate ... and it's somewhat more complicated as to documentation required !!!

Thank you.

Let me put it in plain English Down load the affirmation form from the British Embassy web site (The only way to get it) fill in your detail's if you have been married before you will need to produce divorce paper's to prove same. Take to the Embassy with all the paper's they require (all on their internet site) pay the cost 35000bt ? pick up later then cross the road from their main entrance bearing right there is a large building second floor you will find a translation place that will translate while you wait cost around 400bt. You will then have to go to Thai MFA office 'ask address from the Embassy' (N'B well outside BKK so need to get a taxi they do a fast track service ready in 1 day cost 800bt? but you have to be there early for that other wise it's another trip the next day) to get paper work checked they will give you an official letter to say you can now get married to a Thai, once you have that the marriage bit is simple your Thai lady can sort out that bit. It's free except for the copy's of paper work.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

Let me put it in plain English Down load the affirmation form from the British Embassy web site (The only way to get it) fill in your detail's if you have been married before you will need to produce divorce paper's to prove same. Take to the Embassy with all the paper's they require (all on their internet site) pay the cost 35000bt ? pick up later then cross the road from their main entrance bearing right there is a large building second floor you will find a translation place that will translate while you wait cost around 400bt. You will then have to go to Thai MFA office 'ask address from the Embassy' (N'B well outside BKK so need to get a taxi they do a fast track service ready in 1 day cost 800bt? but you have to be there early for that other wise it's another trip the next day) to get paper work checked they will give you an official letter to say you can now get married to a Thai, once you have that the marriage bit is simple your Thai lady can sort out that bit. It's free except for the copy's of paper work.

Best of luck.

Where does the 35000baht (thirty five thousand) come into it? think your 0 (zero) key might have got stuck!!

Edited by beano2274

Thank you.

Best of luck.

Where does the 35000baht (thirty five thousand) come into it? think your 0 (zero) key might have got stuck!!

Yes your right 3500bt well that's what it was last year so could have gone up knowing the British Embassy's price's it could well be 35000bt by now I did put in a ?. Anyway the rest is right well I think so. Edited by fredob43

is copy of ur passport authenticated by your embassey (or consul), translated into Thai and verified by the MFA now required ... because it appears thats what the amphur at sukhumvit soi 54 is asking for ... hoping there's been a misunderstanding in the translation process !!

is copy of ur passport authenticated by your embassey (or consul), translated into Thai and verified by the MFA now required ... because it appears thats what the amphur at sukhumvit soi 54 is asking for ... hoping there's been a misunderstanding in the translation process !!

It is not required, but asked for by some amphurs as they want an "oficial" translation of your name. If you have a problem, simply go to another amphur/khet where a large number of foreigners live.

If yu have a work permit or Thai drvers license, your name in Thai will be in there and they can simply copy it from there.

It is not required, but asked for by some amphurs as they want an "oficial" translation of your name. If you have a problem, simply go to another amphur/khet where a large number of foreigners live.

If yu have a work permit or Thai drvers license, your name in Thai will be in there and they can simply copy it from there.

thanks Mario ... came as a bit of a bolt from the blue yesterday as i hadnt seen this requirement anywhere before ... in fact a friend of mine got married in this amphur end of last year and he wasn't asked for this ... quite strange ... but then TIT !! i really shouldn't be surprised !!