Can I Thai Baht To Gb Pounds At Suvanabhumi?

kinkers

I'm travelling back to the UK in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the thread/post that specifically covers Thai Baht to GB pounds.

Can I change Thai Baht to GB Pounds at a money changer in Suvanabhumi Airport? And, is there a limit to how much can be changed?

Or, can I change at a bank there and then without having to order money? I'm not sure how much I will want to exchange until a day or so before travelling.

In England, when changing GB Pounds to Thai Baht, you have to order a few days in advance and the exchange rate is diabolical.

Why not use Superrich or Siamexchange downtown, you get better rates.

If they will exchange to Gb Pounds there and then I have no problems where I go.

Could you tell me where Superrich and/or Siam Exchange are located? I've never used them before. I don't live in Bangkok and will only be there a couple days prior to my flight.

Edited by kinkers

Try to change as little as possible here, and use ATM/credit card as much as you can in the UK, will be a lot cheaper.

Thanks stevenl,

I will be taking my debit and credit card, but I also want some cash - don't want all my eggs in one basket.

Edited by kinkers

Siam Exchange is opposite Siam Discovery on the main road towards Phayathai.

Super Rich can be found at many locations, best bet is opposite World Trade

Thanks Beano

The Super Rich booths (at Silom, Chitlom BTS etc) give a slightly lower rate than the Super Rich main shop in Pratunam rate. However, they are still much better than any banks exchange rate. The main shop is the one of the places that most thais change money before going O/S, apart from a few other companies and in chinatown.

Opposite Central World (it hasn't been called World Trade since 05ish) is a huge area and technically incorrect as the actual location is north of where Central World/Isetan ends on the opposite side. You may not find it with this general description.

The easiest way is to start at the Big C complex opp Central World and walk north along Ratchadamri rd towards Petchburi road/ Klong San Saeb bridge. You will pass a large, fenced empty land site on your right. You then come to a small soi (Soi Sun Kankha) with a Bangkok Bank branch on the corner (out of interest, this branch was trashed completely in the May 10 red shirt rioting around the same time that Big C and World Trade were being torched).

Turn right into that soi (heading east) and you'll see on the left side about 70m down a large Super rich sign (orange and white). It is just past a very small soi to the left which is 40m in.

There is another branch in the soi directly behind (to the north or towards the klong) which also has a similar named competitor directly opposite.

If for some reason you get lost, anyone working in the area (stall trader, security etc) will point you in the right direction. You'll need your passport (or a copy).

The spreads between Super Rich and any bank exchange can be fairly significant depending on the currency.

Edited by Lakegeneve

This may help you with super Rich, There are 2 shops there one Green one Orange, Green one is best, its allways packed.

There web site is www.superrichthailand.com, just click on the pictures. You only get these good rates at the BKK shop

There is a good map on how to find the shop. (soi with fish resturant on corner).

Super Rich on BTS stations are not the same.

Take I.D. with you as they copy your passport, or use Thai friend with Thai I.D. card.

Very good buy/sell spread.

aussiep

The new Super Rich main office located on Silom Road near the junction with Narathiwat (close to Chong Nonsi BTS not Sala Daeng ) gives very good rates. The last time I was there trying to get USD I noticed that the spread between the USD buying/selling rates was tighter than a katoey's bra strap. i.e if you bought baht for 100 USD and then immediately sold back to get USD you would lose 5 baht on the deal.

I assume other curency rates are good as well, but definitely won't be as good as dollar rates.