Driving To Hua Hin

expatgaz

Please can someone give me the road route for driving from Pattaya to Hua Hin.Obviously I know its straight forward to BKK but what highway numbers do I take to by pass BKK ? I've searched everywhere online for a detailed road route without success.I will buy a map but any help from seasoned drivers would be appreciated. :o

Edited by penzman

Please can someone give me the road route for driving from Pattaya to Hua Hin.Obviously I know its straight forward to BKK but what highway numbers do I take to by pass BKK ? I've searched everywhere online for a detailed road route without success.I will buy a map but any help from seasoned drivers would be appreciated. :o

Drive along highway 3 from Pattaya until you pick up the signs for Highway 7 the Chonburi Super Highway. Keep going along this past the new aiport and follow signs for Rama IX to take you into Bangkok. Keep going along the same expressway and yuo will pick up signs for Dao Khanong. Follow the Dao Khanong signs over the Rama IX bridge until you see signs for Samut Sakhon - follow these and you will be on highway 36. Just keep going on highway 36 until you see signs for Petchaburi. Follow these signs and you are on highway 4. Take the left fork just north of Cha-Am and follow Petchakasem through Cha-Am to Hua Hin.

To avoid Bangkok completely you have to use the outer ring road highway 9 before you get to Bangkok and go around it clockwise until you see signs for highway 36. I've never gone this way but it is a bit longer. Its easier to go through Bangkok but maker sure you are through Bangkok before 4 pm as the Rama IX bridge is often chocca.

Take the left fork just north of Cha-Am and follow Petchakasem through Cha-Am to Hua Hin.

That will take him off the highway into a regional road for about 16-17km and about 30 minutes to navigate through.

I would carry on on the highway for another 20km or so, there is a left fork straight into Hua Hin, maybe 2km only from there.

Edited by think_too_mut

• 3 weeks later...

Take the left fork just north of Cha-Am and follow Petchakasem through Cha-Am to Hua Hin.

That will take him off the highway into a regional road for about 16-17km and about 30 minutes to navigate through.

I would carry on on the highway for another 20km or so, there is a left fork straight into Hua Hin, maybe 2km only from there.

Just a few corrections needed.

It is Highway 35 not Highway 36 that takes you to Samut Songkran where it meets Petchkasem

You the pass Petchaburi, Tha Yang and Cha-Am..

As for missing Bangkok. No point whatsoever unless of course you travel by boat or plane making it only 110KM.

The Ring Road (Highway 9) is a nightmare and adds at least 100KM to your journey.

My advice is buy the most up to date and most expensive map that you can get.

I have done this journey many times by truck and twice on a bike.

Couldn't he just cut across at Bang Pakong, going west right along the top part of the Gulf (coming from Pattaya, heading North, just past Chonburi turn left) instead of going all the way up to BKK and coming back down? You end up going through or close to Samut Prakan and keep going west, then south.

Sorry about the highway numbers, my wife has left with the car and map but not with the kids and furniture. :o

Couldn't he just cut across at Bang Pakong, going west right along the top part of the Gulf (coming from Pattaya, heading North, just past Chonburi turn left) instead of going all the way up to BKK and coming back down? You end up going through or close to Samut Prakan and keep going west, then south.

Sorry about the highway numbers, my wife has left with the car and map but not with the kids and furniture. :o

I think this must be a misunderstanding of what BKK is. For the purpose of giving directions, BKK stretches all the way down to the coast. The route already described does take you through Bang Pakong, or just past it.

It is not possible to take a more southern route unless you use the car ferry (if it still operates) or when thw two new southern bridges are open. The Highway 9 bridge completion according to a satelite image is way off yet. However someone who has been to BKK recently will be able to inform. This will not make the journey much shorter but a better quality and no chance of a hold up at Rama IX Bridge or the KBank bridge as some people know it.

Up until two years ago I used to do this journey on a weekly basis and once did it three hours at night.

The last time I did it in the evening it took 4 hours from South Pattaya to Hua Hin about one year ago.

Edited by Omerta