Penang For Tourist Visas: Not If An Extension Stamp From Thai Immigration?

I see in the pinned posts a footnote saying that the Thai consulate in Penang will not issue a single entry tourist visa if you have an extension stamp in your passport from thai immigration.

1. I'm currently using up the 30 day extension I got for my current tourist visa. Does this mean I can't get a new tourist visa in Penang? Just curious how accurate that footnote is currently and if it is referring to this kind of extension stamp.

2. If that's what this means, why would the Penang Consulate have this policy? Is there some good reason or just a random thing?

3. It looks like the embassy in KL has no such restriction. Is that true?

Thanks for any info on this. I'm a US citizen, in my 40s.

Have not seen any indication they have changed policy (but few reports currently from there as most avoid). The reason for tourist visa restrictions as always been suspected illegal employment. Do not believe KL would be a problem if you have less than a handful of such visas.

Penang is a very difficult place for tourist visa's when you have them already in your passport.

I heard reports before that they refuse a new tourist visa in case you have a tourist visa extension but i don't have solid confirmation of this.

But i do know that they refuse a new tourist visa if you have already two previous tourist visa's from Penang in your passport.

I'm only not sure if this counts for each year separate but i don't believe so.

Penang is always very unpredictable and no guarantees what so ever.

• 9 months later...

I have a four 2+1 month Tourist Visas in my passport over a period of two years along with two extentions and a Ranong Border Bounce 15 day. However it has been interspersed with stay in Singapore and Malaysia for a couple of months each. Will I have a problem getting another 2+1 month in Penang? My Visa agent in Phuket says that there is a 95% chance I would be OK as I am currently on a 1 mth stamp as I flew in from Singapore. Any advice would be welcome as I don't want to pay 4000 Bht for the run only to be knocked back

the dude's experience in Penang 3 years ago was that a 30 day extension meant no visa in Penang as confirmed by his agent there. he therefore went to Lao and dug a double entry tourist visa instead. not diggable to go to Penang with 30 day extensions in passport. on the other hand the dude did have a period where he forewent 30 day extensions and went to Penang and got back to back 60day tourist visas with no 30day extensions if you can dig what he's saying

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any updartes on the Penang Tourist visa with an extension alredy in my passport?

I'm about to go for a visa run form Phuket OR make a 30 days extension in the local immigration. Wondering if this will kill Penang as a visa run option for me,

cheers