Having Food Shippeded From Us Nightmare

Every so often I have to make orders for stuff Like Pepperoni, and snack foods, and althogh cost is high, so is my desire! This time I have a box being held at customs, because shipper used FedEx, other eshippers usually don't have a problem. Since no duty was paid, had to have fedex pay a broker, then and only then will they release box after paying duty as well. I am scared to see what the total is going to be for a box of candies and 3 sticks of pepperoni! Got to be an easier way!

Pepperoni was one of the things I had brought via a friend who was visiting. A dozen sticks at that. I'm glad it doesn't spoil, thanks to all those nitrites. Hopefully by the time I've run out, somebody else I know will be visiting.

They sell pepperoni at supermarket delis in Bangkok. I've bought it at Foodland before and I'm pretty sure Villa has it too. Maybe it's not as good as what you are importing but it is an alternative if this doesn't work out.

This past month I was sent from Boston USA Via USPS to Rawai Phuket,

A medium size box(under 6 lbs) of Clothes containing sweatsox, pocket T-shirts and Fruit of the loom underwear,

about 60 dollars worth of clothes insured and posted for a cost of around 80 US dollars.

At time of mailing my Mom was told that price included all duties taxes etc.....

Well 10 days or so later I check tracking number from Thai post to come get my box FEE REQUIRED for pick up...

I checked on line through tracking numbers and the package had cleared customs,

and then the track document stated delivery date but incorect address, notice sent fee required..???

The address on the box was correct and the delivery day we were home but no post man ever come to our house.....

I go to Chalong post and get box with tracking number(no ID required) fee of 1300 BHT for what I do not know....????

So 60 dollers worth of comfy undies soxs and Pocket t shirts cost about 180 us dollars to send to Phuket

amazing but comfy nothing I could find at Big C or Robinsons........

They do sell some deli pepperoni here, it is basicly just colored salami. Well my order started out as about 1500 baht, then they hit me with shipping, total for all 4223 THB. Then the kicker vat and customs overtime fee to open my box, and FedEx now acting as broker, package will have total cost of 7332thb !!!! I have beating Villa market to death about Hormel pepperoni, and what did they get, summer sausage. Glad I didn't order the boxes of twinkies!

Never shipped food but have shipped golf clubs and otehr small Ebay stuff. Always best to stay away from FEDEX or UPS. Stick with USPS and I have found less problems and less or no taxes for most things anyway.

It's perfectly do-able to ship food products from the U.S. to Thailand, and not at extraordinary expense...

But, the mistake the OP made was not understanding and controlling the shipping process himself. Mistake No. 2... never use Fed Ex for sending shipments here for any products subject to duty, because you're likely to get taken to the cleaners. Same for DHL, and actually they're likely even worse.

Better to have such items sent by USPS Global or Express Mail, which generally will be delivered by your local Thai postman, and generally with a small duty (compared to the much higher charges used by Fed Ex and DHL.

But not all vendors in the U.S. give you such choices for different shipping methods. So in that case, either use a different vendor or use a re-shipper like Shipito.com that will send items onward to you, but give you many different shipping vendor choices to best match the items you're sending.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

One more "I buy useless things form abroad and I'm suprised to have to pay customs" thread...

:-)

What is useless about american items that cannot be bought here? I guess I should do a survey to see if item is useless before I buy things! Seems to me there are may Americans that would love to have a lot of things, and to be truthfull, rice is useless to me. What I am tired of is someone jumping on a thread and feel they must a useless comment. Seems like this is a forum and thats is what a forum is for, to discuss things! Please respect my posting and move on to someplace you can contribute some usefull!

• Like 1

It's perfectly do-able to ship food products from the U.S. to Thailand, and not at extraordinary expense...

But, the mistake the OP made was not understanding and controlling the shipping process himself. Mistake No. 2... never use Fed Ex for sending shipments here for any products subject to duty, because you're likely to get taken to the cleaners. Same for DHL, and actually they're likely even worse.

Better to have such items sent by USPS Global or Express Mail, which generally will be delivered by your local Thai postman, and generally with a small duty (compared to the much higher charges used by Fed Ex and DHL.

But not all vendors in the U.S. give you such choices for different shipping methods. So in that case, either use a different vendor or use a re-shipper like Shipito.com that will send items onward to you, but give you many different shipping vendor choices to best match the items you're sending.

Indeed - only I would add...

Mistake #3 - not having it gift-wrapped with a "happy b-day" card or similar. Gifts generally are not subject to duty. Not sure what you did but never have it shipped with an invoice.

• 2 weeks later...
Mistake #3 - not having it gift-wrapped with a "happy b-day" card or similar. Gifts generally are not subject to duty. Not sure what you did but never have it shipped with an invoice.

Myth - They are 100% liable for tax in Thailand.

On the U.S. to Thailand shippers I use, it's always a choice between listing something as a "gift" or a "commercial" product. I think it's safe to say listing "gift" on the customs declaration is a safer way to go, assuming that's reasonably accurate...

That said, whether a "gift" package gets assessed a customs duty and/or VAT depends a lot of which particular shipper is being used... I've never sent a "commercial" package here because I'm not running any business or doing anything for re-sale, just my personal use.

But, packages sent via couriers like FedEx and DHL typically get dutied, taxed and more -- even when listed as gifts. On the other hand, "gift" packages sent by USPS usually are taxed and dutied less. And packages sent by some lesser known international airmail shippers' arrive here, and get delivered by my local Thai postman, usually with no Thai duty or tax at all.

I'm assuming, but don't have any personal experience, that if I was sending the same packages with the same shippers -- but the packages were being declared as "commercial" -- that they'd likely get taxed and dutied more often and/or at higher rates.

Myth - They are 100% liable for tax in Thailand.

"liable" and "enforced" are two different things.

Whatever may be on the books, i have never been taxed on gifts... and I receive quite a bit certain times of year.

I have been hit hard, however, for items I ordered directly via mail.

It certainly doesnt hurt to take the extra precaution.

Edited by NanaFoods

• 2 weeks later...

Slap Ya Mama Cajun Ingredients: Salt, red pepper, black pepper and garlic

SYM Cajun Fish Fry Ingredients: corn meal, corn flour, salt, red pepper, garlic, black pepper, paprika, soluble crab spice, oleoresin of paprika, NO MSG

... Maybe a Knock-off won't be as good as the original but it sure saves on the shipping costs

(from a Tony Chachare's fan)

Edited by JLCrab