Expert Advice For Living In Thailand.

EmptyBasementBin

I introduced myself in a forum very similar to this, as I was naturally excited to be starting this new chapter in my life. What followed were not what I was expecting... a series of messages saying, "Welcome to Thailand" or "Good luck on your new adventure".

Instead I was found messages from westerners such as, "Don't bother coming", "Stay in your own country" and so on. I read this guy's initial post and thought it was good sound advice from someone who had learned these lessons and wanted to pass them on... and a majority of you who responded, ripped him apart... for no other reason that I can see except because you wanted to. It's sad.

I can agree with this.

I have no issues at all with the first post in this thread. I think the man gives reasonable (albeit slightly obvious) advice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only advice for ANY country.

Enjoy by smiling gratefully, keeping all your senses on full alert and learning quickly. Running around trying to remember 900 bits of information will only see you missing the point in being in a foreign country.

Remember: Everybody makes mistakes. A fool makes the same mistake twice.

This post stuck in my head today. This is the only piece of advice anyone needs. Brilliant post UM.

I've got to say that it never ceases to amaze me when someone comes into one of these rooms... offers advice or an opinion about one thing or the other... and gets completely emasculated by the other members of the forum. This harkens back to right before I moved to BKK in 2001. I introduced myself in a forum very similar to this, as I was naturally excited to be starting this new chapter in my life. What followed were not what I was expecting... a series of messages saying, "Welcome to Thailand" or "Good luck on your new adventure". Instead I was found messages from westerners such as, "Don't bother coming", "Stay in your own country" and so on. I read this guy's initial post and thought it was good sound advice from someone who had learned these lessons and wanted to pass them on... and a majority of you who responded, ripped him apart... for no other reason that I can see except because you wanted to. It's sad. We're supposed to stick together, aren't we? We're strangers in a strange land. And no matter how long we stay here, we always will be seen that way. Shouldn't we support each other?

And for you flamers out there who are sitting with fingers poised above your keyboard waiting to emasculate me as well... go right ahead... I recently had myself "troll demagnetized"... so the bad comments just sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide right off. Have a good day, gentlemen ... and let's try to get along, huh?

Can hardly wait for your 3rd post.

I've got to say that it never ceases to amaze me when someone comes into one of these rooms... offers advice or an opinion about one thing or the other... and gets completely emasculated by the other members of the forum. This harkens back to right before I moved to BKK in 2001. I introduced myself in a forum very similar to this, as I was naturally excited to be starting this new chapter in my life. What followed were not what I was expecting... a series of messages saying, "Welcome to Thailand" or "Good luck on your new adventure". Instead I was found messages from westerners such as, "Don't bother coming", "Stay in your own country" and so on. I read this guy's initial post and thought it was good sound advice from someone who had learned these lessons and wanted to pass them on... and a majority of you who responded, ripped him apart... for no other reason that I can see except because you wanted to. It's sad. We're supposed to stick together, aren't we? We're strangers in a strange land. And no matter how long we stay here, we always will be seen that way. Shouldn't we support each other?

And for you flamers out there who are sitting with fingers poised above your keyboard waiting to emasculate me as well... go right ahead... I recently had myself "troll demagnetized"... so the bad comments just sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide right off. Have a good day, gentlemen ... and let's try to get along, huh?

What's your point?

Your own post count is just shy of 14,000. Is that supposed to be a source of embarrassment or respect?

What's your point?

Your own post count is just shy of 14,000. Is that supposed to be a source of embarrassment or respect?

and your 23rd post mate. I thought his 2nd post was good. Rough night out or like me cant sleep lol So far I have just read your last two posts and they equaled the above and another one "interesting reply", Pacing yourself are ya?

Just kidding.