Rough Costs For The Rabies Vacination And Blood Work - For Moving Pets To Europe?

Does anyone have a rough, ballpark figure for the cost of the Rabies vaccination and the blood work needed afterwards to prepare animals for relocation to the UK?

I am preparing to move back to the UK, possibly next year, and i am trying to get the estiamted costs together. We have been in touch with a company that will handle all of the travel arrangements for the animals (2 cats, 1 dog) and based on the information i have provided them, and using TG as the airline, they have quoted me 80,000 thb to relocate the animals (all airline/airport paperwork, travel expenses etc - but i need to provide the travel crates and get the vaccinations etc done myself)

I remember reading somewhere someone said around 20k per animal, but i cant find the post anymore so was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience (or even second hand) - i will of course contact the local vets to get figures from them but i am curious as to your experiences etc

Lastly, are there any restrictions or considerations i should take into account with regard to airlines? The benefit of TG is its a direct flight to London, which i feel would be better for the animals, but will the British customs allow the animals to by-pass quarantine (with the correct paperwork, of course) if they come direct from Asia?

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated, this is all quite confusing and a little daunting!

Quick Update - Thong Lor Pet Hospital have quoted me 18,000 per Animal for the Vaccination/Blood work, then 800b for the Microchip and 800b for something else - bringing me to the 20,000b figure... as expected.

That just leaves the TG (BKK-LON Route) question - does anyone have any advise on that?

From experience I find Thonglor Pet Hospital to be very presional though they seem to be extraordinarily more expensive than other similar businesses.

I have found them to be about double the price of say Suanluang Pet Hospital which IMHO is just as good.

Thanks for the advice, i will get a quote from the other place you mention - is that the pet hospital close to Thong Lor Pet Hospital?

The Animals have been serviced by Thong Lor all their lives, vaccinations, neutering, emergencies etc - so that vet has a full medical history of the little buggers - don't know if that helps having all that medical history or not... i don't suppose it can hurt at all :)

I don't know about prices in Bangkok, but in Chiang Mai it's:

Rabies vax 70 baht

Drawing blood and put it into a serum 300 - 500 baht depending where you have it done.

Sending the serum to a registered lab in Europe (EU) by EMS about 1,000 baht

Rabies serological test at registered lab in Europe (EU) 50 Euro.

Sending a pet animal by cargo to Europe is approximately 450 baht per kg (weight animal plus crate). Usually the volume weight is higher than the gross weight and they take the highest weight into their calculations.

It's cheaper to take the animal as excess luggage in stead of sending it by cargo.

As for a health certificate, you have to get that at the Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarnabhumi airport. The one from the vet is not valid for international travel.

If you need help with sending the blood serum for the Rabies serological test to Europe send me a pm. :)

It's not too difficult to do it yourself and it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the advice, i will get a quote from the other place you mention - is that the pet hospital close to Thong Lor Pet Hospital?

The Animals have been serviced by Thong Lor all their lives, vaccinations, neutering, emergencies etc - so that vet has a full medical history of the little buggers - don't know if that helps having all that medical history or not... i don't suppose it can hurt at all smile.png

There are a few Thonglor Pet Hospitals.

If Your Talking about the one on Srinakrin then yes.

Edited by SaNim

• 2 weeks later...

I just done mine myself last month.

Rabies injection was around 300 baht or something, blood test around 200 baht. Sent the blood tests to a lab in england, 1300 baht + 150 baht i paid for the ice cooler box along with a few ice packs. About 2000 baht for the test and results. Was pretty easy, I was told to get the blood taken exactly 30 days after the rabies vaccine, I done it 47 days after and it still passed. Rabies vaccine 1st June, blood test should have been 1st July but it was 17th July. Sent blood 18th July results back about 2 weeks later. My dogs can now leave on or around 17th October.

I was quoted 20,000 baht per dog for the vet to do it for me until I read posts on here and done it myself.

• 1 year later...

Rabies injection was around 300 baht or something, blood test around 200 baht. Sent the blood tests to a lab in england, 1300 baht + 150 baht i paid for the ice cooler box along with a few ice packs. About 2000 baht for the test and results. Was pretty easy, I was told to get the blood taken exactly 30 days after the rabies vaccine, I done it 47 days after and it still passed. Rabies vaccine 1st June, blood test should have been 1st July but it was 17th July. Sent blood 18th July results back about 2 weeks later. My dogs can now leave on or around 17th October.

I was quoted 20,000 baht per dog for the vet to do it for me until I read posts on here and done it myself

Thanks for the information. Do you have any website with some of the informaitons you found on doing this yourself?

Where was the blood sent to in the UK?

Who did you ship this with? Fedex?

Which Vet did you use in Bangkok?

We have 2 cats and have been quoted 17000 per cat! All their vaccinations are up to date however they still need the blood test to enter the UAE.

Thanks for you help!

Thanks for you help.

Doing this in Hua Hin at the moment. 15,000 per dog. The vet told me I could do it myself if I wanted to arrange with the UK lab on my own, but I didn't want to deal with it.

By the way, you don't have to do this a month after the machine. Must be AT LEAST one month after the vaccine, but it could technically be six months later. They recommend you do it closer to the vaccine so the numbers you get are higher (results must show your pet has antibodies of at least 0.5 ml/something in their blood to pass the test).

• 5 months later...

I was quoted 20,000 baht per dog for the vet to do it for me until I read posts on here and done it myself.

hi may i know which vet you went i check with thonglor pet hospital they charge me 1400 for the serum omg

Just a comment about importing dogs to Germany...

I went throughout the whole process of vaccination,titer and other paperwork to bring my dogs to Germany for a few months….

On arrival I went to the custom line to declare my imports….

I said i had 2 dogs and they would stay with me for a few months before returning to Thailand….the man listened then said OK..you can go through.

Never looked at the dogs in the cages or any paperwork! That was it!

Enjoying the summer weather here for now.

I went throughout the whole process of vaccination,titer and other paperwork to bring my dogs to Germany for a few months….

I said i had 2 dogs and they would stay with me for a few months before returning to Thailand….the man listened then said OK..you can go through.

hi may i know how did u send the serum to lab? by EMS? because I asked from them but they rejected my package....

what should I do...

hi may i know how did u send the serum to lab? by EMS? because I asked from them but they rejected my package....

what should I do...

No I used a veterinary service. It cost me about 18,000 baht per dog for the whole process. My point was in regards to taking 3-4 months before my dogs could travel and there was absolutely no check on arrival. In Bangkok they checked prior to ticketing the dogs. So maybe the process is assumed as correct at the other end.

• 10 months later...

we service Rabies antibody titer testing also Rabies Vaccination, Microchip, Veterinary Certificate to EU (Annex4)

we have alot of vet clinic and animal hospital network in thailand,with cheaper price see us at

https://www.facebook.com/outlawvet

Dr Visarut Moranok

[email protected]

Is it possible to have a pet's blood tested for Rabies antibodies in Thailand? (just for understanding the level of Rabies antibodies in the blood, but not with the intention of sending the pet abroad)

If possible, where and how much?

I asked this question at the Animal Hospital the other day and the veterinarian could not answer straight away, but had to ask.

we service Rabies antibody titer testing also Rabies Vaccination, Microchip, Veterinary Certificate to EU (Annex4)

we have alot of vet clinic and animal hospital network in thailand,with cheaper price see us at

https://www.facebook.com/outlawvet

Dr Visarut Moranok

[email protected]

Is it possible to have a pet's blood tested for Rabies antibodies in Thailand? (just for understanding the level of Rabies antibodies in the blood, but not with the intention of sending the pet abroad)

If possible, where and how much?

I asked this question at the Animal Hospital the other day and the veterinarian could not answer straight away, but had to ask.

In thailand can test rabies antibodies but Thailand spread of rabies disease., So the rabies free zone country cant believe Labobratory in thailand., I dont know Why

Best Regards

Dr. Visarut Moranok