Linking 2 Laptops To Access The Internet. Tech Question

vagabond48

The building we live in offers only WIFI at a monthly fee. They are using a 3rd party internet provider (WIN Hotspot powered by Winbroadband Co.,Ltd) to control access. When I moved in we were able to connect with our 2 laptops at the same time. I just purchased my next month's internet access but now we can only log on 1 laptop at a time,

so

my question, can I setup either cable LAN or even better wireless LAN that will allow one laptop to access the internet through the laptop that is already connected so that the 3rd party internet provider will only see one session active.

At this time, I don't want my own private internet connection.

Thanks for any good technical advice.

Download a free software app named Connectify. It allows one laptop to function as itw own wifi hotspot using just one one main wifi connection. As such, you can then connect as many devices as you like to you laptop. I use it and works great.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Thaivisa Connect App

Anyone using the free lite connectify version. I just installed it and although it is an easy install, something doesn't make sense.

There is a "Internet to share" option where you have only 3 choices, (1) no internet sharing (2) Automatic (Pro version) (3) Wi-Fi. I selected the only choice I have, Wi-Fi.

There also a "Share Over" which has only one choice, Wi-Fi but when selecting the only choice, you get an error saying that the "Internet to share" selection which was Wi-Fi can't be the same as "Share Over". The error makes sense but I don't seem to have any other choices.

On top of that, just out of curiosity, when I select "no internet sharing", which let's let start the hotspot, it disconnects me from my normal wifi connection.

What am I missing with this "free" version?

Your problem is a different one. Most hotspot solutions are based on a system called: chillispot. Cillispot "unlocks" your mac- address to access the hotspot. So if you try to use connectify on your second machine, the hotspot sees a different mac address and will not route the packets. Change the mac address from computer two into the mac of computer one. Log on with computer one and - Abrakadabra! notebook two will work, too.

Edited by JakeBKK

Your problem is a different one. Most hotspot solutions are based on a system called: chillispot. Cillispot "unlocks" your mac- address to access the hotspot. So if you try to use connectify on your second machine, the hotspot sees a different mac address and will not route the packets. Change the mac address from computer two into the mac of computer one. Log on with computer one and - Abrakadabra! notebook two will work, too.

sorry but I didn't understand your reply. In my 1st attempt, I didn't even try to connect to the 2nd laptop. I was trying to setup my laptop 1st to be a hot spot but it wouldn't let me as I described previously.

Edited by vagabond48

Buy a cheap netbook as a gateway, then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to log into the hotspot. Feed your wireless router from the netbook ethernet port, and you can log in with any number of wireless devices.

I have used this for many years, and it works brilliantly.

Buy a cheap netbook as a gateway, then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to log into the hotspot. Feed your wireless router from the netbook ethernet port, and you can log in with any number of wireless devices.

Thanks but I am looking for an inexpensive solution.

your OS will handle this just fine.

If I knew or had a clue on how to do this, I would NOT have started this thread. I have seen solutions if I had a cabled connection but I don't, I have a wifi connection through my building's internet connection who control the internet access.

rolleyes.gif I know this is not the same thing...but here in my family house we have 3 laotops...mine, the daughter's, and the grand daughter's laptops....all connected to share access through the main wifi router that is hooked to a desktop computer and then to the internet via True cable access.(we share the same password for wifi access).

The bill for the cable internet ccess and television comes to the house in my son's name....and it is therefore a "shared" family expense.

My Toshiba laptop comes with a built-in wifi connection...and can be configured by the user (me) to SHARE access with other user computers through that wifi router.

The other two laptops can also be comfigured to share wifi access with that router.(had someone from the shop thpse two laptops were purchased set them up for shared wifi access also). Many nights I will be chatting on-line with someone on one of my forums, the daughter will be watching a Thai televison show (on the internet). and the grand daughter will be doing her school "homework" and chatting with school friends....all at the same time.

Of course, somrtimes you run into bandwith limitations problems....but usually the bandwidth is enough for all to chat and even watch Thai shows...just don't try bitstream or such stuff simultaneously.

The only problem we do ocassionally have is when the youngest son...who is the "owner" of the desktop...changes the settings to download a movie to DVD or a live football feed...(he and his older brother are Arsenal and Manchester City fans ) and then forgets to change the router settings back to "shared access" once that feed is completed.

But it does work most of the time...when everybody is on-line simultaneously there is some slowdown however.

Although in theory the youngest son pays the bill,,,guess where the money actually comes from?

Mr. ATM,,,(me again), but it's worth the relatively low expense.

wink.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I wish I could say you found my solution using ad-hoc but from what I read this will not work. I have a 5 year old Dell running XP-Pro SP3. I DO NOT have direct access to the internet by either wired or wireless modem. I only access the internet through a wifi access point outside my apartment. I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 card to get wifi connection.

Here is what Microsoft writes,

The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature of Microsoft Windows XP allows you to share a single Internet connection with multiple computers. Built-in support for IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs (WLANs) allows you to create an ad hoc wireless network. These two features can be used together to share a wired Internet connection with the members of an ad hoc wireless network. This article describes how to quickly and easily use Windows XP to share a wired Internet connection with other WLAN computers.

I do appreciate the suggestions so far and I am still open to any reasonable software solution based on my configuration and hardware.

ad-hoc is what you need, just try.

Since what I am reading contradicts what you are saying, can you please enlighten me by showing me how I would go about making my laptop which is a client on a the building's iwifi network, into a hub for my other laptop.

I should add that I have tried but I can only connect with my Intel PRO/Wirelss card which has no sharing option within its properties tab.

Edited by vagabond48

I seriously doubt, there is an "easy" solution without additional hardware.

Connectify/Virtual rooter/Windows ICS, etc., can't share an existing internet connection without a separate Lan/Wifi device!

*Maybe an additional USB-Wlan stick would work......maybe*

From Connectify homepage

2: Select which Internet connection you’d like to share.

Share your the Internet connection from your Cable or DSL modem, a 3G or 4G modem, even another Wi-Fi network

Adhoc mode allows two devices to connect each other without router or switch and share internet.

But you'll need an additional network card for internet access!

It's exactly the same thing, when creating a wifi Hotspot/tethering on Android devices.

In this mode, only other devices can connect to the hotspot, but the "Hotspot-device" itself can establish an internet-connection only via mobile network/USB..., but not Wifi.

I would simply recommend a wifi repeater/range extender.

Something like this: Repeater

Available for a couple of Baht..

Edited by Turkleton

wow a $300 router

If your first laptop is connected to hotspot you cannot use the same wifi device to share internet, so you need to add a cheap usb WIFI key and share your internet connection through this usb key.

I'll give it one more try. Please only reply if you have actual knowledge with a similar situation.

I use 3rd party internet provider (WIN Hotspot powered by Winbroadband Co.,Ltd) supplied by the building owner. There are several wifi access point devices outside my apartment in the hallway.

The main laptop that I want to access the building hotspot is a 5 year old Dell running XP-Pro using Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 card.

The second laptop is an HP running Vista. The OS language is Chinese so I won't be able to change it very easily and I don't know what wifi card it has. It accesses the building hotspot as well.

What is the task,

(1) I want to use my Dell to act like a server (I am not sure if this the correct terminology) which will access the internet via the wifi hotspot outside my apartment.

(2) I want the 2nd laptop to be a client to my Dell and access the internet through the Dell.

If a wifi solution cannot easily and cheaply be done, my Dell also has 3 additional net cards, Conxenant HDA D330 modem, 1394 Net adapter and Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit controller which I have never used and are currently disabled. Using one of these cards, can I connect my HP via cable. I know it would not be as elegant as a wifi connection but would be acceptable especially if I only need a cable between the 2 laptops.

Again, thanks for any useful advice. :)

I'll give it one more try......

I want to use my Dell to act like a server......

I want the 2nd laptop to be a client.....

I think, everybody understood what you want, but it seems you don't want to spend any money for a decent solution. (e.g. for a 1000-1500 Baht Repeater) ..rolleyes.gif

1. The "cheap charlie solution" would be, to connect your Laptops via Network-Cable.

(Crossover cable if the laps are too old and don't detect each other)

Enable "Windows Internet-Connection-Sharing" or use "Connectify" on your Dell, choose your Gigabit Lan adapter in the settings for sharing.

Enable DHCP on your 2nd laptop's Lan-adapter and prey...tongue.png.

This setup works/worked on two Windows 7 machines and it *should* work on your laptops too.

2. Or buy a cheap USB Wifi-key (as mentioned before) plug it in your Dell, if you don't want to use a cable

3. "Black magic" biggrin.png

Edited by Turkleton