Linking 2 Laptops To Access The Internet. Tech Question

vagabond48

If your first laptop is connected to hotspot you cannot use the same wifi device to share internet, so you need to add a cheap usb WIFI key and share your internet connection through this usb key.

What you didnt understand ? This solutin is the easiest and perfectly clear: buy a 300 thb WIFI usb key and share internet connection from the main laptop (which is connected to building WIFI) to other laptops.

And anyway Google is your friend !

If your first laptop is connected to hotspot you cannot use the same wifi device to share internet, so you need to add a cheap usb WIFI key and share your internet connection through this usb key.

What you didnt understand ? This solutin is the easiest and perfectly clear: buy a 300 thb WIFI usb key and share internet connection from the main laptop (which is connected to building WIFI) to other laptops.

And anyway Google is your friend !

Thanks. If I go to any of the computer stores in Chiang Mai, will they understand wifi usb key? I checked google and there was very little mention of wifi usb key or wireless usb key. I even checked ebay and again no matches.

Edited by vagabond48

Thanks. If I go to any of the computer stores in Chiang Mai, will they understand wifi usb key? I checked google and there was very little mention of wifi usb key or wireless usb key. I even checked ebay and again no matches.

USB Wireless Adapter is the better name. Samples here.

1. The "cheap charlie solution" would be, to connect your Laptops via Network-Cable.

(Crossover cable if the laps are too old and don't detect each other)

Enable "Windows Internet-Connection-Sharing" or use "Connectify" on your Dell, choose your Gigabit Lan adapter in the settings for sharing.

Enable DHCP on your 2nd laptop's Lan-adapter and prey...tongue.png.

This setup works/worked on two Windows 7 machines and it *should* work on your laptops too.

2. Or buy a cheap USB Wifi-key (as mentioned before) plug it in your Dell, if you don't want to use a cable

3. "Black magic" biggrin.png

Finally a simple and reliable solution "Black Magic" tongue.png

Thanks anyway for you suggestions.

What you didnt understand ? This solutin is the easiest and perfectly clear: buy a 300 thb WIFI usb key......

1. this solution costs money, not good...whistling.gif

2. I really doubt, that somebody, who doesn't even know what a USB Wifi key is, has the knowledge to set up the whole thing correctly.

Especially with two older, different OS (XP+Vista), two different Wifi driver/devices on the same machine, etc. pp..

That smells of potential trouble..

Try it with a network-cable first!

1. The "cheap charlie solution" would be, to connect your Laptops via Network-Cable......

You "forgot" to quote the most important part from my post. The part above the "cheap charlie solution" tongue.png

Edited by Turkleton

What you didnt understand ? This solutin is the easiest and perfectly clear: buy a 300 thb WIFI usb key......

1. this solution costs money, not good...whistling.gif

2. I really doubt, that somebody, who doesn't even know what a USB Wifi key is, has the knowledge to set up the whole thing correctly.

Especially with two older, different OS (XP+Vista), two different Wifi driver/devices on the same machine, etc. pp..

That smells of potential trouble..

Try it with a network-cable first!

1. The "cheap charlie solution" would be, to connect your Laptops via Network-Cable......

You "forgot" to quote the most important part from my post. The part above the "cheap charlie solution" tongue.png

I have to say, this is good advice. Trying to get ICS or Adhoc working on ancient hardware and OS is likely to result in one or both of your laptops being in small pieces on the floor.

As others have said, buy a cheap access point and put it in repeater mode. For a little over THB1K you can get a credit card sized travel router which is designed to do exactly what you want. Setup will take minutes and then it will work perfectly every day, which I can guarantee you a windows software solution won't.