45% Of Thais Seek Compromise To End Political Conflict: Poll

webfact

45% of Thais seek compromise: poll

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A plurality of Thais believe that having those on opposing sides of the political conflict take a step back for the sake of compromise, and examine their conscience, would be the best solution to the polarisation facing the country, according to a Suan Dusit poll released yesterday.

About 45 per cent of respondents believed that to end political conflict, the opposing sides must compromise and uphold the country's interests before their own.

Asked what they saw as the main cause of the current political distress, 75 per cent said politicians' selfishness and their desire to defeat the opposing side; 17 per cent said lack of faith in the justice system; and 7 per cent blamed inefficiency in the administration.

Asked what problems must be solved urgently in the country's political arena, 58 per cent said mudslinging and presenting false evidence; 22 per cent said politicians exploiting the public hostage by using their plight as a tool for political bargaining; 18 per cent said using the charteramendment and reconciliation bills for selfish reason, and nepotism.

Asked was the main problem with Thai politics, 39 per cent said political divisions and rallies; 32 per cent said lack of enforcement of laws in important cases, charter amendment and reconciliation bills; 14 per cent cited the Opposition's failure to carry out checks and sole focus on finding fault with the government; 13 per cent said lack of transparency and inefficiency, as well as lack of concrete results in the government's administration.

Asked about the adverse effects of political instability, 41 per cent said the public struggled to earn their livelihoods and were under heavy stress; 34 per cent said there was no peace in the country and the economy was disrupted; 23 per cent said the government lacked stability and people had lost faith in politicians; and 23 per cent said the democratic system of government had degenerated.

The poll was conducted on 2,463 people in various occupations from July 2228.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-30

"BANGKOK: -- A plurality of Thais believe that having those on opposing sides of the political conflict take a step back for the sake of compromise, "

I think you'll find that 99% of any population caught in between two obdurate warring factions believe that both sides should 'take a step back' especially if that step stops people hurting each other.

• Like 1

Uphold the interests of the country before their own (thai politicians) you must be joking never.

Politicians in America certainly aren't any better these days... it's all about power and getting re-elected... if something good happens to someone as a result, it was an accident.

Uphold the interests of the country before their own (thai politicians) you must be joking never.

Politicians in America certainly aren't any better these days... it's all about power and getting re-elected... if something good happens to someone as a result, it was an accident.

power and money.....with power always comes a lot of money.

55% evidently don't believe in compromise, so there you have it...majority wins!

Yes, but if we assumed a roughly 50/50 split, we'd have a 27.5/27.5 split, neither of which represents a majority. Therefore, the 45% is the relative majority, or the balance of power, and that's in favor of compromise. ;-)

Edited by Reasonableman

Not my country, but....

Compromise, compromise, compromise... Such a holy word! Does anyone EVER consider the possibility that a steady diet of compromise simply favors the one side constantly demanding it, and that it's something that just digs the hole deeper and deeper?? Can I keep asking for "compromise" from the tax authorities until my tax liability is virtually non-existent? Can I keep demanding "compromise" from my employer until my wages finally bankrupt the company?? How many times do I get to demand "compromise" from my mortgage lender? ...But somehow, in the world of politics, everything's different. There, "compromise" is always on the table. Always. Sheesh - doesn't anybody anywhere GET this!!

Not my country, but....

Compromise, compromise, compromise... Such a holy word! Does anyone EVER consider the possibility that a steady diet of compromise simply favors the one side constantly demanding it, and that it's something that just digs the hole deeper and deeper?? Can I keep asking for "compromise" from the tax authorities until my tax liability is virtually non-existent? Can I keep demanding "compromise" from my employer until my wages finally bankrupt the company?? How many times do I get to demand "compromise" from my mortgage lender? ...But somehow, in the world of politics, everything's different. There, "compromise" is always on the table. Always. Sheesh - doesn't anybody anywhere GET this!!

So what's the alternative to compromise in politics? Isn't that what politics is all about? Can you tell us about a modern stable country that doesn't run on compromise?