Opening A Language School In Thailand

So...I've been teaching in Thailand for about 2 years now. Currently I am working at a government primary school and last night, I had a realization. I want to start my own language school. Why? Well, there are tons of reasons. Some are:

1. I can teach WHEN I want to teach and make my own hours.

2. I will get paid on time (well, the idea being that I'd take money from the students everyday, instead of every month...and don't have to wait for the government to pay me). let's just say I've had problems in the past with getting paid on time while working with government schools.

3. I live in an area where there are few foreigners, and I I already am teaching special classes on the weekends. There is so much demand for me to teach special classes, I've been having to turn interested students down (because I have no time). Many Thai people in the area have told me I should open my own language school as well.

4. I can have holidays...when I want. If I want to travel somewhere or go home for a few weeks...I can. I just close the school for a couple weeks or so.

5. I could make more money. I make 1,000 baht a day teaching in government schools...so if I have 10 students and I teach for 1 hour per day and charge 100 baht per student (though not sure if that is a reasonable rate,) I'd still make 1,000 baht a day and only teach 1 hour a day!

There are so many other upsides to opening a language school that I can think of. Though, I am sure there would be downsides too. Since I am a falang (I am a woman by the way...in case you wanted to know,) I cannot own land or a business. However, my husband is Thai and can own a business...so I could just put the language school in his name. There are NO language schools around here and people have to travel far to attend language classes.

My questions are...what is the process in opening your own business/language school in Thailand? How much money would you need to start it? I already have the place where I can teach. Does anyone here have previous experience in doing this? What are the obstacles you might run into? I have (obviously) never done this before, so could use some advice! It would be good to hear personal experience as well. Thanks!

Ok...I have been reading more about this on other sites...and from what I gather...it's pretty difficult to open a language school. But I read that if it's a language CENTRE, not a SCHOOL...the MOE doesn't have to approve of it? Is this true? What if I have a "tutoring business?" The thing is...my husband doesn't have a degree in education...so I don't know if it would be possible for him to own it. Yes...he could own a Thai restaurant, THAT kind of business...but a language school? What if I didn't really call it a "school..." is there a loophole somewhere. I guess you could pay a lot of tea money to the government haha....

But I do live in the middle of nowhere...so maybe no one would care...? I do want to make it legal though. It just sounds like a lot of red tape...

Years ago, a friend and I did the same thing. It was more by accident than by plan. We started classes that grew and grew and grew. Few foreigners in the area, so competition was nil.

It's not easy. It's a lot of work. We eventually turned it over to a tutorial school and I went to work for them. Much easier.

Lots of administration, lots of demands, you do not get to teach when you want, by the way.

• Like 1

I guess I should make my idea more clear...in the beginning at least...I would want to be the only teacher. Actually, I feel like the business I want to start would be more a "tutor school" more than an actual language school...since the only language I'd be teaching would be English and I'd be the only teacher...

I heard from one Thai person of a falang woman who taught special classes to 100 children a day...not sure if she was doing it illegally or not though. Back home I can tutor a kid legally no problem...here...no. These days it seems you can't do anything anymore. There is a local doctor in the area who has expressed interest in opening a language school (she has already opened many shops in the town). Maybe that will lead to something...? Not sure. Any more experiences/advice would be great!

• 2 weeks later...
I can teach WHEN I want to teach and make my own hours.

Sounds rather unrealistic. If you run your own business you tend to get caught up in working all the time. And if you're not teaching you'll be trying to catch up wit the admin of managing your employees.

Edited by Morakot

Not forgetting the work permit and employing four Thais!

Yes, they could be teaching Thai. Or alternatively, one receptionist, one accountant, one cleaning lady, which leaves the question what will the fourth person be for?

Some things that could be problematic.

Your informal language school needs to be owned by an operating company with capital of 4 million baht. Each year your accounts will need to show this amount is still within your company.

The school licence is not an easy thing to obtain. Engineer's report, classrooms, toilets, computers with head phones etc and their sizes/numbers are all part of the school licence process and will be inspected.

You need someone with a high civil service grade to be your head teacher, however most schools will just pay someone to add their name and signature to paperwork.

Once you have submitted at least 1-year's audited accounts, you'll be able to obtain a work permit through your company but remember though that you will be paying tax based on your nationality with this work permit.

If you have 5 (I think) Thai salaried members of staff, minimum salary requirements will mean this overhead could be 5 times 15,000 THB (thank you Yingluck) for your front desk staff each month.

After your school receives its school licence (1 - 2 years) you will be able to employ foreign teachers and obtain non-imm B visas, visa extensions and work permits for them.

You will be constantly supervised by Labour, Education and Immigration (if you employ foreigners).

Your foreign teachers take a large chunk of your gross income and much of the rest is taken by rent, salaries, tax, electricity, photocopier, building maintenance etc etc. overheads. You need to make quite a bit of cash each month to cover overheads. if you don't, you drown quickly.

Many of your foreign teachers will complain (behind your back usually) that they are exploited and ripped off by greedy school owners who don't pay them enough.

If you can deal with all the above and make a profit, you deserve every single baht imo.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 2

If you are married to a Thai............can you not obtain Thai citizenship? Surely that would make opening your own business a lot easier? (I think)

Although foreign females married to a Thai national aren't subject to as many strict requirements as foreign males married to a Thai national, I don't think obtaining citizenship is any easier.

Yeah...well, I am not very interested in becoming a Thai citizen haha! Even if I was, I don't think it would make it much easier. Ok, so it is obviously a lot more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the input though.

Well maybe not as hard as it would first seem. You say you have to turn down clients that means there is demand.

Look at the following things:

1: How much do you get paid per hour for your special classes now?

2: Have you got somewhere you can teach ten students at a time?

3: Does it HAVE to be a school or can it be something listed by the BOI that will give you free tax and ability to employ a foreigner?

Other options are also available if you think outside the box.

My wife started a tutor school similar to what you are interested in doing. The first year was great with unlimited students and a very good income. But now, 2 years later, things are not doing that well and we started to second guess the idea. The main reasons are, Competition, from no other schools that have started up and teachers at public schools teaching their own students at home. Another issue is overhead costs of running a school, Aircond, Copier, and everyday wear a tear of having mass amounts of kids in a building. She has diversified in other areas to augment her income, translation, Bill paying for Farangs and airline ticket purchases for locals in the area, etc. Just some thinks to think about before making a commitment.

I will say though, there have been far more positive things then negative. Most of her students in upper grades made it into UNI, The community has and does endorse the school 100%(Free services from City included Plans for Building, Free Radio announcements on local station, etc), along with a host of things have made the journey so far worth it.

http://www.facebook.com/clever.tutor#!/pages/The-Clever-Tutoring-school/204107039650732

It really takes good management skills to keep these schools competitive and running smoothly. Years ago, when my friend and I did it, his girl friend managed the school. She kept classes full, and kept things running smoothly for a very long time.

Most of the classes were started on or about the same time, which meant a fair amount of money all at once. This was followed by rather lean times which went until the next classes were started.

<p>At that time, we were the only show in the area, but over time more and more people got the same idea. We eventually turned it, and our students over to a regular tutorial school in the area that wanted%

I prefer the fixed salary of a regular school and do privates on the side.

It sounds like a language centre/school is very difficult to set up and run competitively.

It's not so easy to take holidays when you want, as was mentioned. To stay competitive you need to have your doors open, especially in the evening and during regular school holidays, as that is when students are available for extra classes.

If you are married to a Thai............can you not obtain Thai citizenship? Surely that would make opening your own business a lot easier? (I think)

Although foreign females married to a Thai national aren't subject to as many strict requirements as foreign males married to a Thai national, I don't think obtaining citizenship is any easier.

I was under the impression that Citizenship for a female married to a Thai National was automatic.